Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I'm looking to push over 400HP on 1510, and my father and I are at a debate.

My Side: I think we should put in a KB 2.1L Supercharger. Because I feel the boost is always there if you need it, and if we ever build the bottom end up then we can put on a smaller pulley. Not to mention I might be working something out with one of my local tuning shops to give me a KB for a VERY good price.

His Side: We should put NOS in the trunk and call it good. Power is (theoretically) always there, but would require installs and I won't be able to tote around anything in the car. IE computer and such.

So to my fellow Bullittheads, what's the pros/cons to either one? I want the car to be in good shape and I realize that neither is great for the motor, but I feel the power will be worth it until I can rebuild the bottom end.

·
Registered
18 Posts
NOS is less predictable than the supercharger. Nos is cheaper than the supercharger. Nos requires filling an empty tank, time after time.

Both would require a tune. Nos is a less extensive install.

Centrifugal (paxton, vortec, procharger, Novi, etc.) vs. roots (KB) type of superchargers could be a debate also. Roots is harder on a non built motor than the centrifugal. Centrifugal has to build up boost, not as bad as a turbo, but not "instant on" like a roots style blower. The bottle doesn't take up that much room for your groceries! If you do go with NOS do it right. Individual port per cylinder WET system.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Can not speak about the KB but, I had the Vortech and the boost was there anytime for me, just had to be in the right gear. The stang I have now has an Eaton, I notice very little difference in where the boost comes in. With the Vortech you just have to be in the right gear for the jerk your butt in the seat feel when you want it. I can not see me ever using nitrous, do not trust it, do not want to keep filling the tank or tanks. I do not race so not juice for me. The blowers need a good tune to be safe. There are some on here that have the Vortech and KB and have had no engine problems for many miles.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
rblack4405 said:
Can not speak about the KB but, I had the Vortech and the boost was there anytime for me, just had to be in the right gear. The stang I have now has an Eaton, I notice very little difference in where the boost comes in. With the Vortech you just have to be in the right gear for the jerk your butt in the seat feel when you want it. I can not see me ever using nitrous, do not trust it, do not want to keep filling the tank or tanks. I do not race so not juice for me. The blowers need a good tune to be safe. There are some on here that have the Vortech and KB and have had no engine problems for many miles.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I've run nitrous in the past, though it was on a 5.0. I used the NOS5115 Dry kit. Tuned correctly, nitrous can be a very effective poweradder. Now, with that said, my choice would be KB hands down. Just doesn't get any better in my opinion, except for a single turno setup.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I'm gonna have to say get the Kenne Bell simply because that's what I'm gonna get as well. As for the nitrous, I'm not a big fan.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If u get to happy with the NOS u will blow ur piston rings no matter how good of a tune. Seen it happen a dozen times. People forget with every shot of NOS its = to 10,000 miles put on ur motor instantly.

·
Registered
618 Posts
If you have th4 bux go with the KB

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a Vortec v2 SQ and a nitrous kit (used as a spray bar to cool the air/air intercooler for the blower). The bottle doesn't take up that much room.

Here's a trunk pic with some other stuff in it also:

I would definitely start with the blower, and think about the nitrous later. Filling the bottle is a pain, and it seems to turn up empty at very inconvenient times. And depending on your proximity to a shop that does nitrous fills, it can be a real hassle.

The blower is always there, and its the same every time, which makes the car more predictable and therefore more fun to drive.

You can always add N2O later for an extra push.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the Facts! I'm personally leaning toward the supercharger as well. I've already got 61k Miles so does anyone know how many miles I can rougly expect to get putting a KB on the stock bottom end? I would definaitely running 9lbs boost or less. Stang4.6 how big of a shot do you run? I can't imagine double boosting like that and not throwing a rod or something, lol.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
So what about DoubleJ? He has a Bower and N2O on his stock bottom end BULLITT and has had no problems at all.
He only uses the nos as a coolant not as a real power adder. I would like to see an engine that was sprayed with great frequency last as long as a supercharger. For example 5111 has about 70K on his Vortec. Any 70K NOS installs??? Tooo many "what ifs" for me with NOS.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
NOS id kind like setting off an explosion inside your cylinders which in and of itself, does not sound good to me. there's enough of that going on with normal combustion not to add a "stick of dynamite" to it. I'd go withe a centrifugal for 2 reasons:

1. as noted before, the boost builds so it is easier on the non built motor.

2. you get to keep you Bullitt intake on there which is a cool visual.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Go blower.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I just don't get where all of these so called "Facts" are coming from about nitrous. There is an explosion of sorts in your cylinders rather you are running nitrous, blower, turbo, or nothing. Nitrous just adds oxygen to the combustion chambers, same as a blower.

And every shot = 10,000 miles? Really? Come on now. I sprayed my stock bottom-end notchback with a 125 dry shot for 3+ years on a semi-regular basis and the car had 95,000 miles on it when I sold it. Based on the 10,000 miles theory, my car had roughly 400,000 miles on it. lol.

I know this thread wasn't about nitrous versus other forms of forced induction, but I just had to throw my $.02 in there.

Again, I would recommend the KB over nitrous any day of the week.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Mr.BULLITT said:
So what about DoubleJ? He has a Bower and N2O on his stock bottom end BULLITT and has had no problems at all.
I doubt he is spraying to get 150hp with a blower.

I'm talking about those who r trying to get an extra 100-150hp off of N2O alone.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Personally, I favor the KB despite the higher cost. The only downside is losing the Bullitt intake.

I just ordered and received the KB installation manual (117 pages). I'm really getting psyched now. I hope to order next week (I have to beat out DiZzyBonne....:lol: )

Bruce

·
Registered
987 Posts
brucebotti said:
Personally, I favor the KB despite the higher cost. The only downside is losing the Bullitt intake.

I just ordered and received the KB installation manual (117 pages). I'm really getting psyched now. I hope to order next week (I have to beat out DiZzyBonne....:lol: )

Bruce
The only thing I hate about KB is there customer service sucks.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
OGBATMAN said:
The only thing I hate about KB is there customer service sucks.
"Knock on Wood", so far they have answered my e-mails promptly and I had no trouble getting through on the phone twice. Maybe as the economy slows and the price of gas goes up, they are forced to be more "customer friendly". I'll let you know.

Bruce

1 - 19 of 19 Posts