Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to open the baby up Saturday. I was on my way south from Wisconsin on the Tollroad and happend upon a brand new Bright Red Z28 T-Top. He was cruisin' awfully slow in the fast lane so I moved to get around then all of teh sudden he nails it. This took me completely by surprise so I fell back in line as we were coming up on traffic.
Well he slows down again and looks in his mirror and starts wavin' to me. Being the good natured guy I am I dropped into 3rd and nailed it. Now I'm going to have to hear from some Ex or Current Camaro owners (Lok?) out there but the Z28 completely runs out of breath at about 110. We ran to 135 then backed off. This happend a couple times always the same results.. We also managed to pick up a Silver '99 Mustang GT vert. along the way but his signifigant other in the next seat prevented his playing along for too long (I witnessed repeated beatings in the rearview) :wink:
The Camaro got off a couple exits later with freindly waves and smiles exchanged..
I guess my whole point is that I CAN'T WAIT to get this out to Nevada to run the Silver state next year. The Bullitt loved to run high and quick. It was rock solid at speed and just kept wantin' to go higher.
I've still got a huge Sh*t eating grin on my face that won't go away..
I love this car.. :smile:

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-06-10 21:44 ]</font>

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well my camaro SS didn't have ANY problems with upper end and absolutely no problems breathing. But I had swapped in a high flow airbox with K&N, a Granatelli MAF, and an 80 MM throttle body. All the induction mods along with the free flowing exhaust with no muffler, and the ram air. Well lets just say once you got it goin it wanted to keep on keepin on. (unfortunately the ring and pinion preferred to lay on the road in pieces) I LOVE my Bullitt and it is a quick car.....but if you EVER run up on one at a light prepare to lose. That is unless the owner can't drive at all or maybe if it is an SS with the AOD. I still can't BELIEVE they would offer a top end car like the SS with an auto. Why don't you just send out engraved invitations for stupid people to get behind the wheel. Just my opinion though.

2001 Bullitt Mustang #929
Black
Mach 460
ATS sequential taillights
MGW aluminum door lock pins + E brake handle cover.
Windows Limo Tinted
FR500 Steering Wheel
Steeda Tri-Ax for T3650
Mufflers removed
K&N
Air Sil

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lok N Lod on 2001-06-11 02:01 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well this definitely was NOT an SS.. Just a plain ol' Z-28.. Brand new.. Still had his Temp Tags and Rachenback Chevy stickers and license plate bracket. So maybe it wasn't broken in yet.. I know that my car definitely has a bit more giddy up and go now that it has a few miles on it. It was just a blast to let it all hang out for a change.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Great! Can't wait to get mine up for some triple digit running. I'm looking forward to my annual bonzai run at christmas when I take my toys out for a top speed run.

Brian

·
Registered
100 Posts
I traded my 99 Camaro SS for Bullitt #226; all the while I waited for the 'Stang, I worried I was making a mistake and would miss all that extra horsepower of the SS. In retrospect, I don't miss a thing. Stop light to stop light, the Bullitt actually feels quicker than the SS. I suspect we're seeing more and more Automatic Overdrive SS's and TransAms because of GM's stupid 6 Speed skip shift. The eliminator kit I tried messed with the computer and I grew to HATE that tranny. It's hard to imagine a real muscle car with an automatic transmission, but anything is better than GM's 6 Speed. I love barking my tires shifting into second and even third; my SS couldn't do it. I don't miss the SS at all, save maybe for the T Tops on nice days.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first time I hit the rev limiter in my Bullitt (#933) was on accident during a highway blast. The car had just over 1,000 miles on it and I was still babying it, though I honestly feel that after 1,000 miles pretty much anything goes.

Anyway, some early '70s Charger starts messing with me on the 10 West in West L.A. We weave through some traffic and I get ahead of him and then everything clears out and the highway is practically deserted (weird in L.A., especially during daylight). So I shift into fourth and just start watching my rearview mirror and as he starts charging me (sorry) I just roll into the throttle and watch him stop gaining, then quicly start fading back. Everthing is going great and the car feels rock solid but suddenly there is this tugging and I get rather freaked. Then I look at the tach and see the needle well into redline. OOOPS!

I say it's Ford's fault. If the engine (and the car!) weren't so smooth, even at over 6,000 rpm, than it never would have happened!

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Sure,musclecars can have automatics too. You just have to have them built right! The little C-4 in my 85 LX,will scare you on it's manual only upshifts. Took Bullitt 0503 out for a ram-air test run,and it pulls fairly well up to 5000,where I backed off. I think it will need some chip tuning to get the best of it. As far as those old Mopar's,around here you have to watch out for a certain white '70 Dodge Challenger,with it's 528 inches of HEMI! The thing packs a Torqueflite trans,with 4.10 gears and a aftermarket OD.unit. He was crusing the highway at about 70 mph,when a kid in a '90 5.0 Stang had to mess with him...Well the kid now saw that Mopar light up the rear tires at 70 mph,on it's way by!

·
Registered
12 Posts
That is surprising that the Camaro ran out of breath at 110...**** I am in 3rd gear at that speed with 3 more gears to go..LOL

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From what I understand from talking to our LS1 guru at work if the guy in the Camaro had ordered his car with the smaller wheels and tires that the F-bod's have a built in rev limiter @ 110. That's only removed if you get the "Z" rated tire option.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
We thought we had the best sh-t. Didn't we?

67 Fastback

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-09-16 16:27 ]</font>

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
No,we did have the best ****! Remember,a musclecar then was just like any old car....dealers didn't care about gouging your wallet. Plus 40-60 HP was only a tuneup and a pair of headers! Chips were something I had with beer! No once a month Sat.car shows,or cruise nights.... Every night was a cruise/street race night around here! And Jimmy,you remember the wild Pro/Stock shootouts up at Bud's Creek Dragway,in Md.,Those were wild!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mus408 on 2001-07-19 16:45 ]</font>

·
Registered
155 Posts
I also found the rev limit in #353 with about 3000 miles on the odometer. I had just changed the air filter to a K&N. Pulling into traffic with a clear road ahead and lots of cars coming from the rear, I let it wind out in first gear, but it went from 5000rpm (where I usually shift on hard acceleration) to 6000rpm VERY fast. Much faster than was 'normal' using the stock air filter

The K&N filter seems to improve the high end torque quite a bit. Am I just dreaming or has anyone else noticed these improvements?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Does the rev limiter keep you from blowing your engine or only give you some time to lighten up on the throttle before any damage is done? I have not hit mine yet, my bullitt only has 460 miles on it and i havent even gotten on it that much yet past 5000 rpm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts