H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.azcentral.com/ent/celeb/articles/0704bradpitt-CR.html

BANG Showbiz
Jul. 4, 2007 08:40 AM

Brad Pitt will star in a remake of 60s classic movie 'Bullitt.'

The 'Ocean's Thirteen' actor will take the role of Lt Frank Bullitt made famous by Hollywood legend Steve McQueen in the 1968 original film.

A source said, "Brad shares a lot of the same passions as Steve McQueen - including a love of motorbikes and fast cars - so it was a dream role for him." advertisement

The original film sees the tough detective hunting a hitman who has killed his fellow officers. The movie is renowned for featuring one of the best car chases in cinema history as McQueen's Mustang car speeds through the rollercoaster streets of San Francisco.

Brad, 43, has been linked with the role since 2003 but the project has only now been given the green light as film bosses desperately try to kick-start as many movies as possible before the Screen Actors Guild begin their anticipated strike action.

Brad can next be seen playing legendary outlaw Jesse James in the western 'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford,' due out in October.

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
What's wrong with Brad Pitt?

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
"Brad, 43, has been linked with the role since 2003 but the project has only now been given the green light as film bosses desperately try to kick-start as many movies as possible before the Screen Actors Guild begin their anticipated strike action."

Interesting... I thought this project was dead.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
I think the general feeling is that nobody can do justice to the role of Lt. Frank Bullitt like Steve McQueen did. I tend to agree.

·
Premium Member
8,327 Posts
Still nothing on IMDB.com for Pitt...
  1. Dallas Buyer's Club (2008 (announced)
  2. Chad Schmidt (2008 (announced) .... Chad Schmidt/Himself
  3. Dirty Tricks (2008 (pre-production) .... John Dean
  4. State of Play (2008 (pre-production) .... Cal McCaffrey
  5. Burn After Reading (2008 (pre-production)
  6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008 (post-production) .... Benjamin Button
  7. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) (completed) .... Jesse James
    ... aka The Assassination of Jesse James (USA: short title)

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
The upside of him being mentioned for the role is that the movie will have a huge budget-Lots of money to spend on car chase sequences....John R

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
...another remake....Hollywood is running out of ideas. "Bullitt" is a classic and IMHO falls into the category of "no remake needed".

Here are some movies that should be remade or at least should have had a sequel:

1. The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996; Genna Davis, Samuel L. Jackson)...sequel
2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977; Richard Dreyfuss)...sequel
3. Independence Day (1996; Jeff Goldblum, Will Smith)...sequel
4. True Romance (1993; Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette)...sequel
5. Serenity (2005; Nathan Fillion)...sequel
6. The Bodyguard (1992; Kevin Costner)...sequel
7. Out of Sight (1998; George Clooney, Jennifer Lopez)...sequel
8. Pulp Fiction (1994; John Travolta)...sequel
9. The Day The Earth Stood Still (191; Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Lock Marin (Gort))...remake
10 When Worlds Collide (1951; Richard Derr, Barbara Rush)...remake
11. Forbidden Planet(1956; Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis :eek:, Leslie Nielsen)...remake

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
The original source appears to be the Sun tabloid. I would just wait and see until a more reliable source announces it (like WB). It would be major deal if the movie makes it out before the end of 08 with the 08 Bullitt returning. It could also spark a second year of production if that does happen.....

Guaranteed to sell cars. Fords big opportunity to sell cars with product placement like Chevy in the Transformers.... A green Mustang and a LE Bullitt edition. Naturally he couldn't drive a Bullitt Mustang but a green GT that leads to a LE. Use a lot of Ford products in the filming just like in the old days. Maybe that's what WB is thinking too....

·
Premium Member
2,330 Posts
I'm thinking this could be some OUTSTANDING news for us that own Bullitt's. Most people still have no clue what a Bullitt is...a blockbuster movie could change this in a very short time.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
IMDb is the best source (nothing there.....yet) and the possible strike that has everyone in a rush is the writers union.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Here's an interesting tid bit.

The Shelby GT 0-60 5.1 1/4 mile 13.7 104
Dodge Charger Super Bee (SRT 8 6.1 Hemi) 0-60 5.3 1/4 mile 13.6 105

If they did a new movie using these cars (08 Bullitt is said to have the same equipment as a Shelby Gt) they would be pretty evenly matched this time around.

·
Administrator
6,299 Posts
Bullitt3817 said:
I think the general feeling is that nobody can do justice to the role of Lt. Frank Bullitt like Steve McQueen did. I tend to agree.
Why is that? Just curious...

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
Here's an interesting tid bit.

The Shelby GT 0-60 5.1 1/4 mile 13.7 104
Dodge Charger Super Bee (SRT 8 6.1 Hemi) 0-60 5.3 1/4 mile 13.6 105

If they did a new movie using these cars (08 Bullitt is said to have the same equipment as a Shelby Gt) they would be pretty evenly matched this time around.
But do car rentals have SuperBees for rent? I don't think they do. So it would have to be realistic and use the V6 Charger. Or something like that. Maybe a Ford 500? Ford has a few of those lying around. OH heck, the crash would be a walk-away instead of the flaming inferno. Don't want to mess with that five star crash test rating do we? Bad advertising. Better idea, let's have them use a Tundra! It only got four stars! Surely someone is renting out Tundras and there are a pack of those on dealer lots...just buy a several of those. They could even do retakes, unlike the first movie! Doesn't work the first time try again!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Tony Alonso,
McQueen had something special that you can`t define.
It wasn`t just acting ability.
Maybe it was charisma.......................
We called it cool.
Actually a number of actors from his generation could almost match him, Paul Newman, Robert Redford and Sean Connery come to mind off hand.
The only actor I can think of in this generation that even comes close is Daniel Craig.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Daniel Craig? Really? I never thought of him in that vein. But then again, I'm not an actor...

I'd go for Bruce Willis as being cool, but not the same way as McQueen in any way, make, shape or form. And not as a Lt. Frank Bullitt. But cool none the less.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
But do car rentals have SuperBees for rent? I don't think they do. So it would have to be realistic and use the V6 Charger. Or something like that. Maybe a Ford 500? Ford has a few of those lying around. OH heck, the crash would be a walk-away instead of the flaming inferno. Don't want to mess with that five star crash test rating do we? Bad advertising. Better idea, let's have them use a Tundra! It only got four stars! Surely someone is renting out Tundras and there are a pack of those on dealer lots...just buy a several of those. They could even do retakes, unlike the first movie! Doesn't work the first time try again!
What does rental and Bullitt have to do with one another???? The Charger in the movie wasn't a rental...

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
McQueen had something that few possess. To be able to look at someoone a certain way and the audience would get the meaning without words being spoken was one. Not to many that can pull that off now....

He was the King of Cool!! Raced cars, motorcycles just a very down to earth guy that would rather hang with the stunt men than other actors.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
The Charger was rented by the "bad guys" when they came to town.

Some where in the movie they are referred to as "professionals from out of town". I take that to infer (no not an assumption, that would be something else) that the Charger is an Airport Rental car. NO?

Hence, when they come to town in a remake, if the same story line is used and I am correct about the "bad guys" flying in they need a credible/realistic rental. The SuperBee isn't available, even at the Hertz fun car counter. That's all. And if I'm wrong about the coming in form out of town, my apologies. I have lived under a cloud of misunderstanding for the past nearly 40 years. Ouch, that last part hurt!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts