Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any was having problems with there brakes rusting over? I had a big rain in texas last week and my brakes turned a rust color. They went away when I used my brakes but there is still some areas that you can see that the pads would not scrap off. Just wondering if this normal or I should they need to be replaced?
Thanks.

anumis

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
k, thanks nasty

anumis

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
normal!
Nasty's right, if you have an area that does NOT go away with regular use....get them checked

·
Registered
224 Posts
What about the area not actually on the rotor, but where it connects to the wheel. Like in the center area where nothing touches. I have a small ring of rust around there (seen it on a lot of stangs)...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Several of the local SS'rs have painted their rotor's with POR-15. Expensive stuff, but it can be bought in a can & brushed on, meaning all you'd really have to remove is the wheel & caliper for the outer edge. One guy I know even went to the extreme of painting the slots in his aftermarket rotors with a silver high-temp paint. Time-consuming, but it does look sharp & there's not a speck of rust to be seen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was thinking of something simpler. Doesn't wd-40 remove rust? You would have to make sure it got wiped off...and didn't get on the rotors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On this subject I have noticed that the factory pads are not very aggressive anyway. Replace them with Performance Friction which coats them with carbon (and a some wheel dusting as well). The rust will not bother you then and as a bonus you get a more aggressive pad. I have the PBR/Cobra/'vette system (Baer Claws)on all three of my Mustangs. Porterfield to race/open track with and PF for street. Do clean them often as the brake dust has a tendency to stain the wheels. My.02 worth.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Let you all in on a little secret, some of the best paint I have found for car use is Krylon BarBQ paint. Works great on exhaust systems, rotor and parts in general. If you check out the pics of my panhard bar install, you can see I did the entire rear end with it. Great stuff. Has to be Krylon brand though.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
hey brian, my Porterfield pads got here today!! i'm getting a friend to install them for me tomorrow! thanks again for the tip/advice

·
Registered
762 Posts
Hey Marty, Brian where did you get the Porterfield pads? I was thinking about Hawk but I'll give those a try.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts