Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any problems with brake dust spotting up their wheels?? My front right rim is spotted black from the brake dust and it has eaten through the paint. I have to use a brush to scrub it everytime i wash my car. Anyone else seen this or is there anything else I can do?? Can i request a new wheel - it looks pretty bad already, and will only get worse!!

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
UFBullitt, sorry to hear about the spotting.
You are correct in that it is very harsh stuff.
I don't let the brake dust build up on the
outside of the rim on the clearcoat. For the
inside of the rim I have used Rain-x brake
dust barrier. It seems to work well. To apply
it to the inside of the rims you need to take
the wheel off and clean it well. The Rain-x
protectant could also be applied to the
outside of the rim.

As far as warranty goes, I am not sure. I
guess if you showed the dealer how bad it
looks compared to the other rims you should
be good to go for a new wheel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-02-21 12:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PY on 2002-02-21 12:59 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Thanks Mid Life!
Now that is an even better alternative!
Where can we get some of those?

·
Registered
121 Posts
They probably don't stop quite as well...
Would be interesting to do 70 mph to 0 mph times on the same car before and after installing those pads.

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Mid Life, thanks for those addresses! :smile:

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
No squeak and they stop a LOT BETTER than factory, check the specs on them. AND they do it COLD, you don't have to have heat in them to stop. The green are good up to
550º C and are VERY rotor friendly. How long do they last? don't know yet?

·
Premium Member
18,861 Posts
Mid Life, I just looked at those addresses...
you have really done your homework! You get
an A+! Too bad the rear pads are too thick
and have to be sanded to fit.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
I had my fronts on for awhile before I was able to sand down the rears and put them on. I could not tell any difference in braking with the new rears. Course I was not on the edge and kicking the ABS in either.
The other night the wife and I were in a hurry to get home and coming up on an intersection a couple of cars turned left across my line in front of me. The light turned yellow and I did not trust the other guy waiting to turn left so I went ahead and hit the brakes. I honestly did not know if I had enough room or not but, stopped no problem and the abs never even kicked in. The wife was scared to death though. I need to get the G-Tech out and do a 60 to 0 stop. From what I have seen the specs stock are around 127 feet 60-0.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The best solution is Simple Green. Go buy a gallon at Home Depot, Costco, Walmart ect. Simple Green is a non toxic biodegradable degreaser that will not harm your rims at all and wipes the brake dust right off!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try Walmart or Ace-Value also for a new Automotive product from Simple Green - in black packaging - no dilution necessary. It also is clear and has no smell!!! Great on the Tires, Rims, Engine, License Plate - and for the eventual spill -- carpet!(Not that I eat or drink in my car!!!!!) Also, look for the hand cleaner - works with or without water!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
What about paint/clearcoat...what if some gets on that?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wont harm the clearcoat or finish but because it is a degreaser it will take off your wax. Great for washing car just before your going to apply a new coat of wax.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts