Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I had to slam on my brakes for some knob who pulled out in front of me, and was greeted with a very unsavory brake pull, and general instability. I had been noticing a grease-like substance on my front wheels that seemed to be coming from the hub area, so I reasoned that this crud was hampering the braking performance.
I decided to check it out myself, since you know how depressing it can be when you ask the dealer to do it (BTW, car has 1200mi on it). I pulled the front tires and found the substance was anti-sieze compound that was liberally applied to the mate surface of the wheel/hub. I cleaned all this crap off, and sprayed inside of wheel and rotor down with brake cleaner. Be careful of getting the cleaner on the center plastic "Mustang" on you rims-this compound will destroy plastic.
Ditto for the other side. Rears seemed fine.
Went out and did some hard stops from 60mph. No problems, car stopped perfectly. I would suggest that those of you who have braking problems get it checked out immediately, these cars are suppossed to stop in a STRAIGHT line!
Oh yeah, I rewarded my good work with a nasty 1-2 burnout afterwards. Afterall, stopping and accelerating go hand in hand!

Don

·
Registered
269 Posts
PCRMAN,

I thought that these brakes sucked wind until I discovered the same problem as you and remedied it the same way. Now, I think they're pretty damned good.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts