Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Brake pad question

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Alvinnup 
#1 ·
I will " upgrade " my front brakes... so I ordered the 2011 caliper brackets from RA..and a set of 13,22 inch EBC Brake Discs.

Now I need to buy a good set of Brake Pads.. As far as I know, the Bullitt has " special / different " Brake Pads ....

I found Akebono Pads .. when I make a search at RA .. There are two different sets... the ACT SET and the ASP SET. Anyone uses the ASP brake pads ? Are they a good choice ?

Here in Germany I can also get the EBC Brake Pads..red or yellow stuff.... but they are very very expensive. around 350-400 Euros all 4 corners.

#2 · (Edited)
Ferodo? Always worked well for me in my old 911S...I'm thinking they'd probably make a nice street compound for your fitment. The Bullitt "special" pads were more advertising than "special" in my opinion. May have been a bit closer to a racing compound, but not much. I believe this a moot point..probably no longer available in the Ford parts bin. Here in the USA, I'll probably just go with whatever pad Ford sells for the '08-'09 GT Mustang. But I don't track drive. If I did, I'd be looking at the more heat resistant racing compound pads...

(edit) Brakes can become a very lengthy subject...but if you are mainly street and highway driving, I'd advise staying away from racing compounds regardless of who makes the pads.

Here's an informative video:

<iframe width="1268" height="713" src="" title="Ceramic vs. Semi-Metallic vs. Organic: How To Choose The Best Brake Pads For Your Car" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#3 ·
Thank you pwd72s for sharing this good video... I watched it, and learned that probably the ceramic ist the way to go.
semi metallic isn´t a good idea... nor fish or flesh. The organic pads should be " weak" with a soft pedal.

about the Ferodo Pads..had them on my 74 Giulia ( with warmed up 1750 Engine ) They where awfully... near to nothing when it comes to brake power. Hard pedal..but real long distances to bring the very light car to a full stop. Not even thing about a "blocked " front heel. Switched to ATE ( NOS with aspestos from the 70th ) WOW... that´s the real..real stuff. Brakes like you are throwing an anchor.

So the there are only 2-3 options for me I think..... the Akebono ACT /ASP. or the EBC Red stuff pads ...or I use the OEM Bullitt pads that I already have. They are still good.... my car has 28000 km on the odometer ...around 12000 mls.

Greetings Juergen

#4 ·
Juergen,

My lengthy reply should have been summed up by saying I think the compound selected has more to do with it than the brand name. The Feredo pads I used were a street compound...perhaps the ones you didn't like were a race compound, designed to work hot? I'm thinking the "special" Bullitt Pads Ford used were semi metallic, but I have no idea who supplied the pads to Ford.

Street driving...brakes usually cold. Might be needed for sudden stops but stops from cold. So, a different compound should be used than road course track pads with constant hot brakes use.

Considering your stock pads are still good, I'd suggest you keep using them.

ATE is a good German brand....perhaps they make a fitment for the Mustang? Something to maybe look into? I suspect the high price here for the EBC Red stuff has as much to do with Germany's import taxes as the quality of the pads themselves.

#6 ·
... about the OEM Bullitt brake pads - made some research in the www. Looks like they were ceramics..
Semi metallic pads are a real "stopper" , but they eat the rotors faster than the car runs...
Unfortunatly "ATE "doesn´t make pads for our cars. The EBC stuff has a 50/50 review ... looks like they are a little like jekyl and heyde . Green Stuff goes away fast. ..and red /yellow stuff "likes" the rotors.
So the Akebonos will find their way into my calipers. According to the RA catalog the ASP Pads are the "stock pads " for our Bullitts while the ACT Pads are for the "GT guys "🙂

#7 ·
I know you had a bad experience with Ferodo, but the DS2500 pads are pretty good. Definitely a step or two up from the stock pads. I've had them on my car for a while and have been happy with them. I did the 13.2" upgrade and have cooling ducts on it. They've gone through numerous autocrosses and track days without issue.

Reactions: pwd72s
#8 · (Edited)
#14 ·
Some things may be more expensive there, but after having been there a few times I would certainly take your roads over ours in the US :cool:. I notice your info says Duesseldorf, I was actually just in that area in January visiting. I was in a Fiesta over there going faster than I can ever legally go in my Mustang in the states. Every-time I've been there I've had a decently capable car that would have been a blast on the German Motorway.

This is still one of my favorite ads for the Mustang/GT500

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.