Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and had my brake pads replaced all around last weekend. A friend of mine is an ASE master tech and has his own shop. He was able to get me the pads at his cost, which saved me $120 bucks..It was $291 for the fronts and rears, while the dealer's cost was $207.15 for the fronts, $182.07 for the rears...freakin crazy for our brake pads...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Which specific pads did you get?

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the OEM pads...

·
Registered
118 Posts
i had to bring mine in to the stealership do the rear pads. . only cost me $109!! I couldn't believe it (it seemed really cheap!) and from the prices on here it was!. . no complaints here

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I was definitely going to go back with OEM pads, but I may go with Motorcrafts. I have had them on the back for a few years now and haven't had any problem with them. If the Motorcrafts on the front sucks, well, I'll chalk it up to a lesson learned. Last time I got a price, the MC fronts were $75 and the backs $33. That price is quite a bit less than most dealers sell MC pads for.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
You can buy the Factory Bullitt/Cobra pads made by PBR from any PBR dealer. They are called Metal Masters and come in the PBR box. Last time I bought them for my SHO they were just over $110 for the fronts. I have a set on hand I may install before the next track day.

EDIT-

Just found some online -
http://pa.partsandaccessories.com/parts/partsandaccessories/quote.jsp?year=2001&product=N1010-143048&application=000659403&part=Brake Pad Set&category=All&dp=true&showdc=null

Vehicle 2001 Ford Mustang Bullitt
Engine - Chassis V8 4.6 — Mustang Bullitt

Part Name Brake Pad Set Metal Master ( N1010-111497 )
Brand PBR (OEM)
Description Front
Your Price $68.84

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
One thing I learn over the years is you get what you pay for and when it comes to Brakes you should never cheap out.....

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Pronkie1 said:
One thing I learn over the years is you get what you pay for and when it comes to Brakes you should never cheap out.....
Don't let the price foul you. I talked directly to PBR (manufacture of the calipers and pads) about the Metal Master pads. They are the OEM pads used on all the Cobra's, Bullitts and MACH 1's so if you want to pay 2 or 3 times the price for the OEM FORD packaging go for it. I have used the PBR Metal Master pads for participating in Open Track events over the last 6 years. I can get three or four track events on them, stopping me continuously during 20 min sessions from speeds of 130 down to 30 mph for the festival curves at PIR. I would call them track tested, best thing there's no fading or rotor abuse. You don't think I would take the risk of wrecking one of these on cheap pads do you??

My old SHO with Cobra/PBR brake coversion and PBR Metal Master pads (picture taken during National SHO Convention track day @ Thunder Hill 2004)

BULLITT with OEM PBR Metal Master pads (pictures taken during Shelby track day Portland International 2006)

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
My old SHO with Cobra/PBR brake coversion and PBR Metal Master pads (picture taken during National SHO Convention track day @ Thunder Hill 2004)

Nice picture, Kerry. 92 SHO? I had a 93 SHO, MTX. Fun car. Ran it at Road Atlanta during the '99 SHO Convention in Atlanta. Sorry for the off topic post!

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
FordFan said:
Don't let the price foul you. I talked directly to PBR (manufacture of the calipers and pads) about the Metal Master pads. They are the OEM pads used on all the Cobra's, Bullitts and MACH 1's so if you want to pay 2 or 3 times the price for the OEM FORD packaging go for it. I have used the PBR Metal Master pads for participating in Open Track events over the last 6 years. I can get three or four track events on them, stopping me continuously during 20 min sessions from speeds of 130 down to 30 mph for the festival curves at PIR. I would call them track tested, best thing there's no fading or rotor abuse. You don't think I would take the risk of wrecking one of these on cheap pads do you??

Kerry: Thanks for the great info....I didn't know and I agree with you, why pay two or three times the price for OEM Ford Pads...When I need brake pads I'll surely get these....Do they dust up under normal driving conditions??????

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just installed pads from a company called Axxis, I had never heard of them but a friend used them... Anyway, they have virtually NO dust and are a little better in stopping than OEM ever was. Break in was short and I get no noise like I would sometimes with the OEM. They were not as expensive as OEM or Hawk. They have a few different levels for your driving needs. I just went with the deluxe pads (lowest level). Here is a link to their site http://www.axxisbrakes.com/techdata.htm

I forgot to mention that I did the work myself which saved me some money and also, I think you need the Cobra pads all the way around if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
9mmBullitt said:

Nice picture, Kerry. 92 SHO? I had a 93 SHO, MTX. Fun car. Ran it at Road Atlanta during the '99 SHO Convention in Atlanta. Sorry for the off topic post!
I bought the wife a 1993 Auto in 1996 then bought myself the one owner 1989 pictured in 1998. I like the 89 best- no abs, no air bags, I added a quafie, subframe connectors, koni's, eibach's, ST brace, high flow y-pipe, extrude honed intake and larger MAF. Fun on the track and a great business car. With mods I could get 30mpg on long runs. Sold it for close to 7k to buy the Bullitt.

Won a Gold award at the 2004 Nationals

SHO on the way to its new owner in Sacremento. BYE BYE SHO, hello BULLITT.

Kerry T

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Pronkie1 said:
FordFan said:

Kerry: Thanks for the great info....I didn't know and I agree with you, why pay two or three times the price for OEM Ford Pads...When I need brake pads I'll surely get these....Do they dust up under normal driving conditions??????
No problem Frank I just want to help others out. I've been in the parts buz for a long time and know the more middle men you can elimante the cheaper the price can be for the end user. To answer your question the only dusting I get is during the Open Track events, other than that the pads wear normal.
I was shocked to find that price on the those pads this time around, I will for sure be purchasing 1 maybe 2 sets of pads at that price from that web site.

Take care,

·
Registered
141 Posts
I was running Hawk pads on my Cobra, great stopping power, minimal noise, maximum dust. The Bullitt brakes are in great shape with only 19k on them, when they need to be changed, I'm thinking the PBR Metals sound pretty damn good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts