Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

Brake Problem?

830 views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  hicarbon 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I was able to get Ford to unlock the wheel locks and get the wheels off and have figured out what the problem is.

Whenever I apply my brakes while going at slower speeds (between 0-30mph) or whenever I start pulling forward, I hear this clicking sound in the front and can feel it in the brake pedal. It all began when I replaced the brakes on the front end. We took the wheel off and realized that for some reason, there is a little extra space between the brake caliper and the actual brake pad on the new pads. Has anyone else ever come across this problem and if so, any fixes for it? Not sure if there is a shim that can be used to fill the gap and keep it from moving back and forth.

Edit: When we took the wheel off and looked, the caliper actually shifts back and forth (front from to rear) on the rotor between the bracket that holds the caliper in place (Because of the space on either end of the pad).

When we bought the brakes, we bought the specific 01 Mustang Bullitt brakes from Advance Auto Parts, but found that the brakes that actually FIT, were the Cobra brakes. Just food for thought.

Thanks,
Ryan

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
I have replaced my front pads several times with Performance Friction pads. Why? Because I take te 04 Gt to open track days and I know what works for me.

I use a pair of needle nose plyers to slightly adjust the grippers that hold the pad in place and the pads install easily and really fit. No gaps, no problems.

Performance Friction .... at Auto Zone.

Oh yes, VERY IMPORTANT!! Be sure to switch all your brake fluid to Motul 600 (DOT4). Many guys think their brakes are deficient when the problem is really the wrong brake fluid which has a low boiling point that results in fade. My 04 Cobra brakes (same as 01 Bullitt brakes) are all I need for track driving. The right pad and the right fluid are more important than more brake pistons.

#9 ·
The pads attach to the caliper using the round compression fittings, (shiney round finger thingy, technical term). Make sure the pads are firmly mounted to the caliper there should not be any movement. If there is then the pads are wrong.

The pads ride in the caliper bracket, there is a rubber bushing that is covered with a metal spring. This keeps the pads from rattling inside the bracket. If the rubber enclosed bushing is missing then the pad/caliper would move up and down.
I guess it is possible that the rubber has compressed and dried out and needs to be replaced.

Last thing I can think of is the caliper bracket it self is loose. NOT good.

Attachments

#11 ·
Short of buying a new set of pads, is there any way of buying a new rubber bushing covered with the spring? Everything on the brakes looks just like it should, there just seems to be that slight room on the end letting the caliper move ever so slightly back and forth. It makes this knocking sound whenever I drive and it's getting really annoying, makes the car sound like absolute crap.

#12 ·
PhotoRick said:
Hi Guys,
Lots of good info here BUT!!!

A certified service tech should look at these brakes ASAP to be sure that you are not about to have a brake failure.
Rick,
My dad has taken a look at them for me and is very skilled when it comes to working on cars and replacing brakes and all. He is the one that told me that it's just the slight movement that is causing the noise, that there is nothing going on that would cause brake failure or anything like that. That was my main concern before having it looked at, but he's reassured me it'll be ok, right now it is just a matter of noise and irritation, but that it should definitely be fixed asap to avoid any further problems.

#14 ·
Mid Life Crisis #388 said:
Autozone has them for like $6.00 No rubber but it has the new spring.
I'm gonna have to take a look at getting some, because this noise is driving me CRAZY. It makes the car sound like absolute crap. It only does it when going forward, sounds like it does it each time the tire rotates. When the brake is pressed or going in reverse there's no sound. Annoying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.