Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm on schedule to take delivery of my Bullitt sometime next week (yeah!!!).

My question is about the brakes. What kinda brakes are they? Cobra? GT? Brembo?

I read in a review that they are Brembo, however I just got off of the phone with a rep from Brembo, and led me to believe that Brembo's were only used in the Bullitt proto-type and that they're too big for the wheel that Ford chose for the production run.

So, what kinda brakes are on a Bullitt?

And more importantly, what aftermarket options are avaiable for Race Pads?

I'm familiar with Wilwood brakes (I have them on another car), and I regularly and easily change from street pads to race pads, when swapping tire/wheel set-ups for the track.

Are there any Race pads available for the brakes on a Bullitt? If so, then from whom? And, how labor intensive is the swap - is this a five minute job per caliper or longer?

One of my goals is to have my wife feel comfortable (and safe) taking my Bullitt on an open track (or HPDE). And to do so, I want to have sticker tires, better gripping pads, and a fuel cell. ~275HP is plenty, and I've been reading good stuff about Eibach springs...

Sorry to ramble, but I haven't posted much, and thought it would be a good way to begin to introduce myself :wink:

Keep the rubber side down,
Randy R...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Now I am pretty sure that the brakes on the Bullitt are identical to the brakes on the Cobra. 13" Brembo's are what I thought they were. At any rate it is the same brakes offered on the Cobra. As far as upgraded pads I know that Steeda makes a metallic pad that will fit the brakes. I would also assume that anyone that makes a pad that would fit the 99 Cobra would fit the Bullitt. If you are gonna do the pads though I strongly reccommend upgrading to braided steel brake lines.

As far as tires go. Some of the guys here have strongly reccomended Nitto's. They seem to work well as far as a drag radial anyway. For road course duty I'm not completely sure. Someone here will know. Look in the road race section of the forums.

And finally, the topic of fuel cell upgrade has only come up once that I have seen. See it here. http://www.bullittclub.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=1353&forum=2&1

Hope this helps....good luck. You chose a GREAT car. Welcome to the club....you're in good company!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I'm looking at race pads as well for a November driving event at MotorSport Ranch.

They are the 13" Cobra brakes, meaning the race pads will fit... also the 2 piece rotors. The stock disks (I heard) are prone to crack around the hub mounting.

You might want to upgrade the brake lines as well. There have been reports of race pads getting hot enough to cause the lines to fail, with BAD results. Lines look to be under $100 and with the cars new the replacement should be a snap.

Tires? Here we go--
I have not looked at what sizes we have available, but remember the wheels must clear the rotors. Means any 15" V6 wheels we find cheap are no-go. So, 17" wheels we're stuck with.

If you want pure-hellfire and speed, then Hoosiers are your tire. You'll have to crank in some camber to make them work.

If you want some endurance (more than 2 events per set), then look at Yokohama's A032Rs. They're almost a street tire. Kumho seems to be a popular tire for the money, but I have no experience with them.

For now- I'm broke. I'll run the Goodyears at the track until I win the lottery or find some cheap takeoffs from a GT or Cobra.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys...

I'll look into Steeda Race Pads for Cobra brakes... THANKS!

WRT the brake lines, GOOD CATCH!!! I'm shocked that Ford hasn't fixed this by now. I know that many local clubs won't allow late model Mustangs on the track w/o SS braided brake lines. Yes, this is a mandatory safety mod.

WRT to tires, I'll probably go with R1's (or whatever Goodrich is calling their replacements for R1's). Hoosier's are good for dual purpose - I'm looking for a second set for single purpose. IOW, non-DOT.

Thanks again for the info on the brakes. This is what I need!!!

Keep the shiney side up,
Randy R...

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
randy, i have NO proof but i heard final brakes were all Cobra(front & rear calipers and rear rotors) EXCEPT the front rotors were indeed Brembos, they were a little bigger than the Cobra's rotors
anybody?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
I know that many local clubs won't allow late model Mustangs on the track w/o SS braided brake lines. Yes, this is a mandatory safety mod.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

That's interesting... I'll have to pass this along to my local DE director.

·
Registered
959 Posts
The calipers are not brembo, but PBR. There are many pads available for these calipers. I prefer Porterfield R4E compound pads. They work well and are rotor friendly.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
brian, my brakes just started sqeaking over the weekend, after 3 months and 3000 miles.
where could i get those pads you recommend? i know you like to rally, would they be overkill for street/daily driver use???
thanks!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Mystang:

I used them on my street car and on the road course as well. What impressed me about this compound of pad was their great cold temperature performance. They stopped well right out of the garage. They work equally well on the race course.

Porterfield Enterprises.. www,porterfieldbrakes.com, 800-537-6842.

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,360 Posts
thanks brian, i will give them a call

1 - 10 of 10 Posts