Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the 2nd owner of an '08 with 20,000 miles. I've been doing simple bolt on swaps/modifications and the car is awesome. I'm not so sure that I made the right move with the brakes. I swapped out the originals with Stop-Tech slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic pads.

I followed the break in procedures but the pedal feels low. I had an installation issue with the rears. I think I may have wound the caliper back too far. Anyone else have this issue or have some fixes to share? I don't think the stopping distance is any better than before. The new rotors do look nice though.

Thanks.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome message there.

=== This is an automatically generated message ===

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Pat beat me to it. :-D

I also suggest working the e-brake several times to wind the rear brake piston back out.

Sometime that I have found, is that over time, the brakes will get firmer with use as things get seated in, even if you followed the break-in procedures.

Also, if you have not done it, consider changing the brake fluid. An '08 is now 12 years old which is a long time for the OEM fluid. This is something that is effected more by time than by mileage.

BTW, welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy your new toy. Check out the National Events section and hope to meet you at some future event. Those Bullitt Nationals are awesome and Hoondog Performance puts on some fantastic events.

Reactions: #94 and pwd72s

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I changed the brake fluid two years ago when I got the car, but could always do it again after a brake job. I will try those remedies and look forward to bringing my Bullitt to an event to meet everybody.

·
Registered
357 Posts
you might want to consider buying a pressure bleeder. if you work on your own car you will never regret buying one.
i have a motive bleeder, works great. if you have a hoist and the wheels off it takes a whole 10 min to change the brake fluid. i actually change my brake fluid every year because it's so easy to do.

you will probably need to buy a adapter to bleed fords.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motive-Pro...:7TcAAOSwWWxY~j4U:sc:USPSPriority!53146!US!-1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motive-Pow...:Rg4AAOSwRUhY~wE~:sc:USPSPriority!53146!US!-1

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the exact brakes and rotors and they've been great. You likely need to flush out the fluid. I would jsut swap for DOT 4. It handles the heat better. I've tracked the car with these brakes and get very little fade over the course of the day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I replaced my brakes and rotors with Hawk HPS and noticed that while they feel softer they actually brake faster than the factory brakes. It was a weird feeling but I got use to it.
That said, still double check brake pressure, and make sure you bled them.

·
Premium Member
5,854 Posts
:D The Motive bleeder is the “cats meow”! Bought one last year after replacing brake lines on my 07GMC Duramax 2500. Couldn’t get brakes bled the old fashioned way and the Motive worked like a charm!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you to all for the advice. I did the flush today and they feel fine. One other question if anyone knows: I used the Griots Garage vacuum bleeder and it said to turn on the ignition without starting the car to activate the ABS. I did. Do you guys do that? Thanks again. Jerry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts