Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else dissapointed by the poor performance of their brakes? My wife's '98 GT stops better.

The Bullit has 2 modes of stopping:
1. ABS on
2. Barely stop
anything in the middle reverts to braking method #!, and the ABS is on. What a joke!

I used to have Baer
s on my '90 and expectred similar performance from the Bullitt. My mistake.

I'll add it to the list of issues for the dealer to look at.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I owned a 98 GT mustang for 3 years and had almost 40k before trading herin on the BULLITT and while I enjoyed her I have to say
the brakes were in no way comparable to the bullitts, they faded ...took longer to stop, pedal pressure etc etc...I had her in on 4 seperate occasions for issues the dealer said were common.
I have experienced no brake issues what so ever with my BULLITT maybe there are specific brake issues with your particular bullitt...take her in to the dealer and check it out

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also have no complaints on braking on my Bullitt. Actually, I think it brakes very well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Lee50, I think you have glazed your pads. The Bullitt's brakes aren't quite to Porsche standards, but are far and away the best of any American or Jap car I've owned.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I agree that the brakes on this car are the best factory ones I’ve seen. There must be a problem with your braking system that needs repair. It should be number 1 on your list of repair items!

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Agreed- I've glazed my pads at the track and need to either get a new set or clean the old ones.

They just don't have the initial bite anymore.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Lee50..

I ran an autocross a few months ago to get a baseline on the car and the brakes performed very well. We had the same brake/caliper setup on our '95 Cobra R and Pontiac Firebird in IMAS and they worked fine. You either have a hydraulic problem or a pad problem.

Brian

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's definitely some kind of issue there.
I have about 4 issues to take it in for now, I'll just add it to the list.

The rear brakes also make ungodly amounts of noise when it's wet/damp out.

I bought a set of MM braided front lines, but I'm going to wait and put them on after the dealer has a look at it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If there were a difference in braking, it could be attributed to the Bullitt being so much heavier than the GT. However, the larger breaks on the Bullitt should make up for the added weight...and then some.

No complaints here though. I got into the car pretty hard last Thursday for the first time. During the run DHG1935 took a racing line around a two-lane 90 degree turn from 85MPH to 35MPG like a champ.

·
Registered
147 Posts
lee50guru,

Check out the pics of my Baer Racing rotors in the Mods forum. It's subject heading is
EradiSpeed Rotors. These were a direct replacement and I am using the OE pads(as per Baer Racing suggestion). They sure make a difference with fade issues.

Brad

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Question:

1. How do you glaze brakes?
2. If glazed, do they make noises as if the brakes were getting bad???
3. Thank you for answering. :smile:

God loves you!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry,
Glazed has got me thinkin about doughnuts :smile:! LOL. My Fronts sqweek quite a bit, but these ARE Cobra brakes and mine are very good also. Couple of magazine tests show both the Cobra AND Bullitt same braking distances.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think they are glazed... although they don't sqeak now since the wind is coming from the ocean so the salt water is getting all over them. Ick.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Having owned a 2001 GT before taking delivery of my Bullitt, I notice a great deal of braking improvement on my Bullitt. The Bullitt has saved me from rear ending someone a couple of times and I was amazed that I did not hit the car in front of me that was making a panic stop.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,051 Posts
Same here Teddy! Hubby was getting on a freeway ramp and some lady was STOPPED waiting for traffic to clear and Bill had to stomp on the brakes and missed hitting her. The only thing he could say was "Stupid b**ch!" of course, and "Glad we have these Cobra brakes, man!" Saved our asses too! :smile:

·
Registered
448 Posts
No complaint at all with my brakes, in fact, I am amazed out how well it stops up to this point, 770 miles on the clock.

:bullitt:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've had DHG #294 since mid May. I ordered it on January 23rd. This is my second Mustang, the first being a 1995 GTS that I bought brand new back in 95. The brakes on that car truly sucked. At 15K miles the dealer re-surfaced the rotors and replaced the pads at no charge. At 30K miles (still under warranty) they replaced the both the rotors and pads. Needless to say at 55K miles the brakes were again toast. Since I would be paying for this setup, I upgraded to a nice set of Brembos. All that being said, the brakes on the Buliit are unreal. I am more concerned with being rear ended than with hitting someone else. Its not just the stopping distances, but the repeatability. These things do not heat up.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What I've really noticed is that the first 1/2" of travel of the brake pedal does nothing. This would be the area in any other car where light braking takes places.
Stopping in normal traffic from 25 either results in the "why am I not stopping" syndrome follwed by the not-so-pleasant pulsations of the ABS on my foot.

#2580 - back to the dealer for 8 different issues.

·
Registered
579 Posts
what kinda pads should we be using when we need to replace the brakes?

Are the pads made by brembo or just the calipers?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts