Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned many, many new cars and it always seems to differ on a proper break-in cycling based on each vehicle. For the record, what are some of the "rules" that bullittheads have heard ? I now have 275 miles on mine and want to rap it out a little more. Is it up to 4000RPM, 5000 ? 6000 ? Miles - 500, 750, 1000 ?

Thanks !

Kurt

·
Registered
452 Posts
This is a topic of Great debate... my take on it is if they are going to break they will break reagrdless....run the hell out of it

I took mine off the lot, turned off the traction control, dumped the clutch and went sideways out of the parking lot....

That said I am not going to mod it for 1000 miles....

Doug

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the input and I do agree to some extent although, this will be my daily driver for awhile and I don't want it to break "yet" (even though I like going sideways :smile: )Anyone else have any input ?

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
I gave mine 1000 miles before really getting on it hard. That gives the complete drive train time to wear in a little. But during this time,you should load the engine a bit then back off. Such as,in 4 th gear,punch it modrately to 4000 and back off. This helps seat the rings better than a steady speed cruise.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've always gone by the "break it in like you want it to run" philosophy. Did that with my 98 cobra (out of dealer parking lot up to 135mph racing a GT). That car has been spectacular, even being blown at 9psi for 2 1/2 years.

The Bullitt got much the same treatment. On th dyno with only 480 miles (236.7rwhp/271.8rwtq) and at the strip the next day with 575 miles (ran 13.83 at 101.52 and three other runs over 101).

I'd say I'm either lucky or gentle break-ins aren't the best policy. However, both vehicles are pampered when it comes to maintenance and oil changes, that's the key to longevity.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have about 650 miles by this weekend when I autocross. From what you are saying, it sounds like I will be o.k. to stomp it !

·
Registered
452 Posts
giver hell.... I spoke to the service dept today when picking up my free hat... and they said to give it hell it will do it good.....

·
Registered
715 Posts
First of all...don't pay attention to any instructions in the owner's manual. You always break a car in the way that you plan to drive it. If you break it in like a wuss then it will run like a wuss. My co-workers always wonder why me car always out runs theirs. It's because I break it in hard. Like was said previously, if it's going to break it will. The dealership will not be able to tell how it happened.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kurt, if you baby it during break do you know what you'll get? A baby! I have always driven my new cars hard right from day one. You've already seen how strong my 2000 GT runs stock. My last new Mustang was an '89 5.0LX that I had to replace rear tires on in just 6K miles because of my lust for smokey sideways burnouts in 1st and 2nd. 1st and only visit to the shop for the 5.0 was at 102,000 miles for a single bad fuel injector ($250 fix).

By the way, the owner's manual does say to vary engine speed during break-in. I interpreted that to mean that I should idle it at red lights & stop signs, then blaze through each gear up to 6,000 rpm's just before fuel interruption from the computer. Fuel economy wasn't that great, but the fun factor was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts