Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new pull yesterday. 2200 miles and one dinosaur oil change. Only "mod" is a k&n:

first dyno at 480 miles was 236.7/271.8

btw...where do you find 5w20 synthetic? I settled for regular pennzoil 5w20.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
i can get you all the synth. you want at my cost. all ya gotta do is stop by the store on a day im working, preferably in the evning time

·
Registered
721 Posts
To JB Vobra, I believe you when you say break-in makes a difference. I just got my dream car yesterday (Bullitt #5290) I would like to know in detail how to properly beak in this modular 4.6. I've heard too many controvercies. You seem to know what you are talking about. Thanks. Dave, Ford Motor Company Employee.

·
Registered
121 Posts
JB Vobra and some others can offer a more authoratative opinion than me, but I have heard that it's best to drive it hard from day one. Not abuse it, but run it up and down through all the rpms.

I don't have any dynos to post, but the SOTP feel is that the engine is getting stronger with miles.

I am planning on using regular petroleum oil for the first few oil changes before switching to synthetic. I would like to hear the experts' opinions on this topic for best break-in as well.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Drive it like you want it to run! I didn't follow my own advice and mine felt slow from the beginning. It wasn't by choice that I drove it like that, there are just too many cops around here to do anything :smile: Just ask Blakwing about that.

Lately I have started beating on it more and more, and it has started feeling much quicker.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow sweet numbers...I just got 650 on mine. I probley won't dyno it till 3,000. That will take a year the way I drive it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Bullitt XTC, I've always broken in my new cars & new motors by driving them really hard and racing them from day one. I don't shock the driveline or run past redline, but make sure to never baby the car/motor.

My '00 Mustang GT has never been on a dyno, but I drag race it a lot at the local track that I've been racing at for 19 years. Best ET when my '00 was new was 14.15 @ 98.3mph. Best ET now after a year of driving is 13.85 @ 98.2. Both runs were at the same track with nearly identical atmospheric conditions.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-01 12:33, Bullitt XTC wrote:
To JB Vobra, I believe you when you say break-in makes a difference. I just got my dream car yesterday (Bullitt #5290) I would like to know in detail how to properly beak in this modular 4.6. I've heard too many controvercies. You seem to know what you are talking about. Thanks. Dave, Ford Motor Company Employee.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

well Dave, the only real thing to be concerned with the first 1000 miles or so, is don't go take a 4 hour highway trip with a brand new car. You want to vary the rpms quite often to let all the compenents "seat/settle" properly. Basically, keep your break-in period around the city and do alot of start/stop driving. Avoid long 70mph cruises at the same rpm.

Other than that, I'd change the factory oil around 1000 miles. Probably not a good idea to leave the original oil in any longer than that. Who knows what particles get in the engine during the assemlby process.

As far as limiting rpms or such? I'd say hogwash to that. I've been all over this car since day one. At least 4 redline shifts every day I've driven it (responsibly, of course :grin: ). Car has 4200 miles now and has endured 4 track trips, 4 dyno runs, and a whole lot of street cruising.

I say: "Have fun!"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts