Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breaking in the engine of my Bullitt and was wondering if you could give me tips on how to do so correctly.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-06 12:57, kfengler wrote:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-06 12:53, DantheMan wrote:
I am breaking in the engine of my Bullitt and was wondering if you could give me tips on how to do so correctly.
Thanks in advance.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Not much to do, don't use any breakin oils, you may want to change your oil the first time after 500-1000 miles.

Vary the RPM, don't put too much load on the engine for the first few hundred miles...

Thanks for the advice Karl. Yeah, I have been taking it really easy so far. I am keeping the RPMs pretty low and have resisted all attempts to goose it but I don't know how much longer I can resist. But, it's for the good of the car so I'll resist a little while longer.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please explain breakin oils. Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I say beat the everliving sh*t out of it. The way you break it in is the way it will run. The cars are basically broken in from the factory. Take that thing to redline a few times. Then change the oil and enjoy dyno numbers and times higher and faster then the identical car next to you

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2001-12-06 14:22, kfengler wrote:
On 2001-12-06 13:18, DantheMan wrote:
Please explain breakin oils. Thanks.

That's something I've never used. I think it may be "old school" thinking. There's a guy that posts here, "bobistheoilguy" that would have a really good answer, hope he reads this.

I think I read in the manual that it states not to use break in oils. They wuld have additives that may not be good for extened use I would think!

Basically don't abuse the engine, over reving & lugging it can be bad for it, but varying the rpm is important so the rings wear in properly!

When I broke in the engine on my Harley they said to keep RPM's below 2000 for the first 50 miles, below 2500 (I think) up to 500 miles, then to vary the speeds. That bike run great now. (well if the weather were nice)

Thanks again for the info!

·
Registered
724 Posts
99svt is right - if it's broken in lazy it will be lazy. Most mechanics say that anyway. Engines nowadays are broken in at the factory.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
On 2001-12-06 20:36, full metal jacket wrote:
Supercharge it and drive it like you stole it!

Agreed! I recommend smoking the tires out of the dealers parking lot(or in the parking lot) after you buy it.

I do change the oil the first time at around 500 miles to get any parts that may be floating around from assembly. Then on to regular 2500 intervals with synthetic. The only reason I change it at shortened intervals is the charger, otherwise I would change it at 3-5K.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
My dealer said that too. If driven in a reserved manner, it will be perform in a reserved manner (compared to the opposite). That's why I drove mine off the lot fishtailing, and now it has a snarl I can't resist. If you want it to be a beast, drive it like a beast. Varying the RPM's is the most important though.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Now I know how to it the first several hundred miles. It's great knowing that I can ask a questions and have experts like you helping me out. Man, this site ROCKS!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm in agreement with most everyone else. Break it in hard. If it breaks then you take it in for warranty repair.

I have been driving cop cars for 25 years now for departments that have take home cars. Every time I get a new one I put about 100 miles on it in a civilized manner and then I start to let her rip. My car is equipped exactly the same way as my cohorts but they always accuse me of having something on mine to make it run better because I can usually pull away from them easily. I have nothing on my car that did not come that way. I would be fired if I did. I attribute the way it runs to the way it is broken in. I also don't let it sit and idle for hours at a time like some cops do.

I fact my supervisor asked me to break his in for him. So break it in hard. Your car will love you for it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I subscribe to the easy getting progressively harder. That idea went in the trash on this car though. I like "drive it like you stole it". How about drive it like it's your ex's.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
On 2001-12-07 13:10, mr.pj wrote:
I subscribe to the easy getting progressively harder. That idea went in the trash on this car though. I like "drive it like you stole it". How about drive it like it's your ex's.

How 'bout, "Drive it like it's a rental?"

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree 100%, drive it hard from day one. The only thing I recommend is let it come up to temperature before hammering it.

I had #1584 on the dyno at 480 miles and the drag strip the very next day. I kind of chuckle when I see people "afraid" to rev it over 4K for the first 1500 miles. That is insane and will definitely lead to a WIMPY motor IMO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts