Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IMBOC Members & Guest:

Before I get into the Full Blown Story here I want to

Personally THANK a Pal of Mine for All His Input & him Insisting

that I go with BRENSPEED:

His name on here is (08 Shifter) Mark

He had already run the BRENSPEED Tune on his Prior Shelby Mustang and was

Very-Satisfied with the RESULTS of the Brenspeed Tune. Mark & I had discussed

this Many-Many-Many times and I'm sure He (Mark) was Tired of going over the same

old Topic. But He was nice enough to Never Show It if he was tired of talking

about it (Brenspeed Tunes)

THANKS Mark and BTW YOU were 100% Right and YES I know YOU (Told-Me-So) :wink:

Terry on Left/Mark on Right

Mark doing 1-Of his Most Favorite Things

I have given this a lot of (Thought) as how to lay this Thread out.

So, here goes:

Parts arrive at my Home:

STEEDA UNDERDRIVE PULLEY SET & Ford Bolt Set:

Bolts are:

STEEDA (BILLET) CHARGE MOTION PLATES:​

BRENSPEED (CUSTOM) TUNED X3 POWER FLASH:​

Bullitt Mustang arrives at Gary Force Acura and is put in Tech Bay:​

Parts Counter with Mobile 1 Oil & Motorcraft Filter:​

ALL Mods & Service Supplies on Tech Bench:​

Bullitt Mustang with 2-Cooling Fans in Bay:​

tigerhonaker (Terry) is a (WAITER) :lol: :lol: :lol:​

Waiting on Gerald & Mark so we can go EAT Breakfast:​

Note* Mark was Unable to attend because of (Prior Personal Commitments) :frown:​

Gerald arrives in his (Bullitt Mustang)​

Gerald and Terry arrive at Crackle Barrel for Breakfast: :smile: :smile: :smile:
Tech will be at Dealer around 9:00am-9:30am
So, we have time for some Bullitt Mustang Performance Discussions: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Gerald waiting for Breakfast and Looking Happy and Listening to (tigerhonaker)​

Rambling on:​

Terry with that Look of, man this is going to be a Very-Fun-Great-Saturday: :cool:

Barney the Tech (Actually Reading) the (Instructions):​

Tearing it Down:​

Installing New (STEEDA BILLET CHARGE MOTION PLATES)​

Now it gets real interesting (Removing) the (Stock-Crank-Pulley) :shock: :shock:
Keep in mind this Bullitt has only 4,033 Miles on it. Imagine one with Lots of Miles.​

Removing Crank-Bolt:​

Now the Fun part as these Pics show trying to get the (Stock-Crank-Pulley) OFF.​

Stock Crank Pulley on Left/Steeda 25% Underdrive Pulley on Right:​

Reinstalling Crank Pulley and Torquing it:​

Everything put back together:​

1st (Oil & Filter) Change:
Look at what (Size) the pliers are to get the (Stock Factory Installed Filter) LOOSE:​

Here goes the 6 Quarts of Mobil 1 oil in: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Removing Wheels for Rotate & Balance:​

Wheels all OFF:
Yes, that is Gerald doing his thing: :lol: :lol: :lol:​

Installing Wheel & Tire on High End Balance Machine:​

Computer read out for Balancing:
Very Close on the Weights as the Screen Shows:​

This is the read out for Tire Pressure:
I run mine with 40 Lbs. in each tire:
I (Don't like any Bounce) !!!!!!!​

Reinstalling Tires and Torquing each wheel:
Don't see much of this these days:​

Here comes the (Exciting Part) of ALL this:​

Tech is (Down-Loading) New (BRENSPEED) CUSTOM 93-Octane Performance Tune:
Program also has instructions for the (Elimination/Removal) of the
Stock Plates so the (Service Engine Light) DOES-NOT Come On:​

Look very Close and you can see the Bar coming Across as the Download is Completing:​

Here is Gerald as we both get to Shoneys for Lunch:​

Is this Guy like HAPPY or what with this Giant Banana Ice Cream Sundae: :lol: :lol:
YES, I had one also and Man they were
Most-Excellent :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:​

So, YOU ALL are wondering :confused: :confused: :confused:

How did it RUN after the Steeda & Brenspeed Mods were Installed ?????

I will NOT speak for Gerald and what He thought, I will let Him tell his own Story.

BTW, Gerald was the 1st person to Drive away from Gary Force Acura in My Bullitt Mustang on the way to meet up at Shoneys for Lunch.

As for Me, what I think once we ate Lunch and we went our separate ways?

The car is (Honestly) like all of us (Performance Nut Cases) would want if We had

Our Way when We picked up our Bullitts from the Dealers upon taking Delivery.

There is (No-Throttle-Delay) Period !!!!!!!

If you take off as you always had in the past before this was done there would be

some Very Serious BLACK TIRE MARKS on the Pavement.

It takes off Instantly from a Stop and now the only thing

IMHO (In-My-Honest-Opinion) holding it back from like a Super Jack Rabbit Start leaving a Stop are the (Tires).

I'm NOT-JOKING you will light them up Instantly !!!!!!!!!

I chose a route to drive back home that put me in and Stop & Go Traffic. I wanted to

see just how Quick it was with some time in the Drivers Seat. You learn real QUICK

to Lighten Up on the Go-Pedal. It is a Real Riot in the 1st 3-Gears leaving Stops.

FUN :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I did NOT really drive on the Interstate as Gerald did, so I won't make comments

that I am NOT sure about regarding that mode of travel. I feel pretty sure Gerald

will have comments on that. He did drive it to Shoneys on the Interstate.

When you are sitting in the car and it is in Neutral and you take the Tach to say

3,000-3,500 and Punch it, the reaction of the engine is like you have a Wild Cam

and Light Flywheel installed. It revs quick !!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to think if there is anything else you would want to

know :confused: :confused: :confused:

Well, here is something I would want to ask if I was on the other end:

How MUCH did this COST :question: :question: :question:

It was like $890.00 to BRENSPEED. then the Case of Mobil 1 oil & Motorcraft Filter

was $41.63. Remember I am an Employee at the Acura Store and we are a Mobil 1

Dealer. The cost to have the Services done and the Mods installed really does NOT

Matter here on IMBOC as we all live in different States and Places in the same States. The Labor (Cost) is going to Vary.

Just thought about one more thing I would be asking if I read this on

IMBOC :question: :question: :question:

YES, I More than got my Moneys WORTH IMO (In-My-Opinion) !!!!!!!!!

If you want to really enjoy Your Bullitt Mustang and it React like a true High

Performance car I (Highly-Recommend) these Exact MODS.

The best way that I can think of to say to you ALL about the changes and how

different the car feels is this.

It WAKES up the (Response) to where you would think it should be for a HP (High

Performance Car). It Reacts from a Take-Off, Right NOW !!!!!!!!

NO-DELAY !!!!!!

I hope that IMBOC Members & Guest that drop by to Read Threads & Post here find

this Thread to be (Informative) as well as just a Fun Thread to Read and Enjoy.

As always I try my Very Best to put these together for Knowledge as well as

Fun Factor.

Thanks for Dropping by and Reading & Viewing this.

Terry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the mods...glad to see someone take the dive on the delete plates and underdrive pullies, if not for the blower in my not too distant future those are mods I would have done already as well. As for me I should have a write up on shorty headers and an nsr cam install next week. Too bad for everyone here I don't do pictures as well as you, they will just have to use their imagination...

Adam

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking Forward to reading about your New Mods coming ..........

AwsmBullitt said:
Congrats on the mods...glad to see someone take the dive on the delete plates and underdrive pullies, if not for the blower in my not too distant future those are mods I would have done already as well. As for me I should have a write up on shorty headers and an nsr cam install next week. Too bad for everyone here I don't do pictures as well as you, they will just have to use their imagination...

Adam
Hello Adam,

I will be Very Interested in reading your Post once you do the Headers & Cams.

That is the other things I would just LOVE to have Installed to go with what I just had done.

The Blower is just way Cool and Money is what is going to STOP me from going there.

But I can tell you I have had when younger many Blowers on Mustangs and man does it wake them up !!!!!!!!!!

like this one:

The Pics I do well but it is very Time Consuming .........

I think Members here really like them and it helps IMO to actually see what took place. So, I do them even though it takes a Very Long Time.

Looking Forward to reading about your Up-Grades !!!!!!!!

Terry

·
Registered
969 Posts
1st off, many thanks to my brother terry for the invite yesterday. and everyone…get this…terry asked me to be the 1st person to drive HIS bullitt after all the goodies were installed. what a treat from a gracious being!

so in the past week i have driven an 09 5 speed stock gt, my bullitt, and now terry’s modified bullitt. the difference between the stock gt and my stock bullitt is night and day, and the difference between my stock bullitt and terry’s newly modified bullitt is night and day. remember how you felt when you drove your bullitt home from the dealer for the first time? the sound…the power…and the grin you couldn’t wipe off your face? driving terry’s bullitt was like that all over again, and I still have that grin on my face! instead of the power kicking in around 4000 rpm’s as on a stock bullitt, the power on terry’s bullitt kicks in around 2000 rpm’s and continues to pull hard past 6000 rpm’s. the new found power is apparent in gears 1 through 4, and 5th gear is what it is.

1st gear is a whole different experience. taking off from a stand still requires reserve from your right foot or you will quickly learn how little respect the new found power has for the stock rubber. can you say wheel spin from a rolling start without slipping the clutch? the power definitely hits harder and quicker than stock. 3rd and 4th gears on the interstate were a hoot as well.

i would also add that there were no additional vibrations in terry’s bullitt with the udp’s, the deletes, and the new tune, just a greater “fun factor.” i now know what 3 of the 4 performance modifications I was contemplating deliver. When do the shorties go on terry?

hanging out in “terry’s garage” was fun, and getting to witness a professional do the install was great. Describing the care that was displayed while working on terry’s car as “professional” might just be an understatement. Barney is definitely a class act with the wrenches.

Congrats terry! can't wait till next time.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Great Thread!!!

I've posted and read quite a few threads in the performance mod department thru the years but I cannot remember a better done one than this! Terry you are "The Man"
Felt like I was there with you guys ordering an "Old Timers Breakfast" at Cracker Barrel. Great to hear how those relatively inexpensive mods went. To make a statement that they were "night and day above stock" sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks for the great effort .... now just remember to add in a couple ounces of "restraint"! Happy motoring my friend!!!

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Mike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheelman said:
I've posted and read quite a few threads in the performance mod department thru the years but I cannot remember a better done one than this! Terry you are "The Man"
Felt like I was there with you guys ordering an "Old Timers Breakfast" at Cracker Barrel. Great to hear how those relatively inexpensive mods went. To make a statement that they were "night and day above stock" sounds like something worth looking into. Thanks for the great effort .... now just remember to add in a couple ounces of "restraint"! Happy motoring my friend!!!
Hi Mike,

Thanks man for the Post you did here..........

I do try to make my Threads interesting with Content and try to throw in some Humor as well.

Glad you enjoyed it. :smile: :smile: :smile:

Terry

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Terry,
Grats on the mods. You cannot go wrong with Brenspeed, and his entire crew. I still remember the first test drive in my 05 after installing Brent's 91 tune, and the C&L CAI.....Oh man, what a smile!! Turned into a 20 minute jaunt down the Santa Ana Freeway....

Next up for you, some nice shorty headers. I like to call that the "trifecta of bolt ons" on my 05. I love all three mods.....Oh, and the 4:10's don't hurt either......:lol: :lol:

Grats,
Mike and Karen

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Easystreet said:
Great thread. I love reading and seeing people doing things with their bullitt's.

Thank you
Easystreet
aka "Jason"

Thanks for dropping by and taking your time to review my Thread :smile:

Terry

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GOT OATZ said:
Terry,
Grats on the mods. You cannot go wrong with Brenspeed, and his entire crew. I still remember the first test drive in my 05 after installing Brent's 91 tune, and the C&L CAI.....Oh man, what a smile!! Turned into a 20 minute jaunt down the Santa Ana Freeway....

Next up for you, some nice shorty headers. I like to call that the "trifecta of bolt ons" on my 05. I love all three mods.....Oh, and the 4:10's don't hurt either......:lol: :lol:

Grats,
Mike and Karen
"Mike and Karen"

Yes it was real easy to pick a route that was the Long Way Home on Saturday.

Your thinking just like me with the Short Headers & 4:10 Gears :clap: :clap: :clap:

But this will do for now...........

Terry

·
Registered
349 Posts
hey terry,

really cool your mods, I thinking about the plates and the tune...but can you explain me for what is really helful the pulley?
it would help me very much...
thanks...nice looking car man ;)

Chris

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
"Mike and Karen"

Yes it was real easy to pick a route that was the Long Way Home on Saturday.

Your thinking just like me with the Short Headers & 4:10 Gears :clap: :clap: :clap:

But this will do for now...........

Terry
Terry! You win the award for the longest post I have ever seen! Great article and only fly in the ointment for me is to see your master tech mechanic using large channel locks to remove the oil filter (don't know why, but that bothers me). Please tell him for me that someone awhile back invented the oil filter wrench. I used channel locks one time and ripped the can from the filter and it took 3 hours to remove the rest of the filter. Hope you like your improvements and I will be curious to know what is the effect on fuel mileage. What do you suppose you gain in HP? I would think 25 to 35. You need to do cams next.

Here is your trophy! Good job.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is what I think ...................

SwissBullitt said:
hey terry,

really cool your mods, I thinking about the plates and the tune...but can you explain me for what is really helpful the pulley?
it would help me very much...
thanks...nice looking car man ;)

Chris
Hi Chris from Sweden,

I think Chris you are asking me which one of the 3 things I changed IMO
(In-My-Opinion) made the most difference.

If I were to pick 1 of the 3 as far as the biggest bank for the buck,

I would go with the Brenspeed Tune. I went with the 93 Custom High Octane Gas download.

But I also have 2 more programs that I can switch to at anytime.

They are Custom 91 Octane Gas & Custom 87 Octane Gas.

So, no matter where I would travel to here in the States I can simply download the (Appropriate) Tune to match the gas available in that area.

You ask about the STEEDA UNDER-DRIVE PULLEY SET as to what do I think ???

Brenspeed says it is a Cheap Easy 10HP add on...........

But if you want the Bullitt to like (Respond) as soon as you touch the Gas Pedal

I would go with the BRENSPEED CUSTOM TUNED X3 POWER FLASH they offer.

Trying to think before I reply here, in my opinion I would go with the Breenspeed tune, Steeda 25% Under-drive pulley set from Brenspeed.

Note* If you do place an order for the Steeda Under-drive Pulleys, Don't forget

to ask for the FORD Bolt Set to reinstall the Steeda Pulleys.

You are not suppose to use the Factory Bolts if you remove their Crank Pulley etc.

You could always go back and install the Steeda Charge Plates..........

Let me know if this is what you really wanted to know ???? As we both know I am reading text on a screen and therefore sometimes what we think a person is asking, turns out NOT to be the case.

Terry

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the Post Bob !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

onefastbob said:
Terry! You win the award for the longest post I have ever seen! Great article and only fly in the ointment for me is to see your master tech mechanic using large channel locks to remove the oil filter (don't know why, but that bothers me). Please tell him for me that someone awhile back invented the oil filter wrench. I used channel locks one time and ripped the can from the filter and it took 3 hours to remove the rest of the filter. Hope you like your improvements and I will be curious to know what is the effect on fuel mileage. What do you suppose you gain in HP? I would think 25 to 35. You need to do cams next.

Here is your trophy! Good job.

Bob,

He did give the Oil Filter Wrench a try and decided to quit messing with the

Factory Filter and just take it on OFF............

The Factory Filter is perhaps installed by this

Guy

Cams and Shorty Headers would be ROCKING :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What do you suppose you gain in HP? I would think 25 to 35. You need to do cams next.
I think like you on the gain in HP and Torque.

The major thing is the Response of the Throttle when you drive the Bullitt now.

Terry

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Terry,
I am going to ask what it probably obvious, but here goes......

My assumption is, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that with the new Brenspeed tunes, there is not more.....Octane recognition....thus the varying octane tunes....

I spoke to Justin at VMP right after Karen got her Bullitt. He said he does have a tune for the Bullitt, but it would probably only gain at the most 10 HP over the factory FRPP tune. But, this is apples and oranges in comparison to an octane specific tune.....So for me, the question is, spend the coin for a tuner and specific tune, or just stay with the factory tune. 10 HP is no biggie, but knowing that an aftermarket tune would aleviate the throttle lag, well,..........

Thx,
Mike

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
tigerhonaker said:
Bob,

He did give the Oil Filter Wrench a try and decided to quit messing with the

Factory Filter and just take it on OFF............

The Factory Filter is perhaps installed by this

Guy

Cams and Shorty Headers would be ROCKING :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Terry
GOTCHA, I stand corrected>:lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Cams and Shorty Headers would be ROCKING

Indeed...and Since the new FRPP Hot Rod Cams are advertising 20 to 30 HP with no spring change......and DO supply that good ol cammed lope....Mmmmm....tasty.....

·
Banned
1,313 Posts
GOT OATZ said:
Indeed...and Since the new FRPP Hot Rod Cams are advertising 20 to 30 HP with no spring change......and DO supply that good ol cammed lope....Mmmmm....tasty.....
I wouldn't mind if they got no HP gain. The lope to me is worth the grand for the install. Ain't no better sound than a lumpy idle and moderatley loud exhaust.:smile:

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hope this answers your question ............

GOT OATZ said:
Terry,
I am going to ask what it probably obvious, but here goes......

My assumption is, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that with the new Brenspeed tunes, there is not more.....Octane recognition....thus the varying octane tunes....

I spoke to Justin at VMP right after Karen got her Bullitt. He said he does have a tune for the Bullitt, but it would probably only gain at the most 10 HP over the factory FRPP tune. But, this is apples and oranges in comparison to an octane specific tune.....So for me, the question is, spend the coin for a tuner and specific tune, or just stay with the factory tune. 10 HP is no biggie, but knowing that an aftermarket tune would alleviate the throttle lag, well,..........

Thx,
Mike
Hello Mike,

Let me give this a shot.

The Brenspeed Tune is Honestly NOT about HP & Torque Gains.

Maybe like 10-15 Hp with the 93 Octane Gas Tune.

But when you get back in the car to start it and drive it away, you (Instantly) know you are in for some Serious Fun !!!!!!!!!

The Bullitt is (Immediately) changed as far as the day to day driving. It just revs right now........

One thing I have to keep in mind here though is that I did all 3 of the Mods and then drove the car.

So, I had better THINK before I get to carried away with what is going to take place with (Just-the-Tune).

That I Honestly cannot answer, as I did all of it at one time.

I think maybe if you go back and read the Post that Gerald did here on this Thread it will give you an idea as to what he experienced getting right out of his 2008 Bullitt and stepping in mine with the Mods done.

As Gerald said it is like a different car.

He drove the 2009 GT Mustang, his 2008 Bullitt and then my Modded Bullitt all in the same week. As he said there is No Comparison between His Bullitt and Mine now.

Not sure about this but I think (Opinion-Here) that as far as being in 5th gear at say 70-80MPH there may not be a lot of difference between the Bullitts then.

But in the Lower Gears mine is just Exactly what anyone that likes Fast-Responsive-Cars would be looking for.

The changes are for Daily Driving, not necessarily cruising at Interstate Speeds in 5th Gear.

I'm use to the OLD Mustangs with Low Gears, Headers, Cam, Blowers etc. where they just respond Immediately.

This is Kinda like that..........

Note* I really hope there are not members & guest reading this Thread and Post that think if they do these 3-Mods that they can go out there and just Tear Up everything they come in contact with.

That is Nottttttttttt the Case at All.

I would not suggest pulling up beside a Shelby GT 500 and taking it on :badgrin: :badgrin: :badgrin:

Very Bad Idea !!!!!!!!!

Hope this maybe answered your questions.

Yes it is kinda expensive, but for what you get it is I think in Line.

Maybe I should include this comment.

Yes, I would do it all over again, only much Faster as now I know what it does.

08 Shifter (Mark) told me what to expect but it is hard to get it straight in ones head until you actually experience the difference. Thankfully, I did listen to Mark and I OWE Him a Dinner at Shoneys. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I just went back and read your Post again.
If you want the Dual Octane Ability then of course keep the Bullitt Tune from Ford.

But remember, you can switch your Tune for each Gas Octane in whatever part of the USA you are in. You simply just Plug in the Tuner and download the Appropriate Octane Tune.

So, I think Honestly you can have your Cake & Eat it with the Brenspeed Tuner.

Terry

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
Flash Memory warning...

Computer Geek fact of the day:

Most types of FLASH memory can only be erased and written to a finite number of times. The number is usually about 100,000, but the more times you write to it, the more of a chance that it will stop working (which means you'll probably have to replace that expensive computer). Just something to keep in mind if you plan on flashing tunes frequently.

This has been a public service message. :D

1 - 20 of 104 Posts