Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had the opportunity to find out if loading a tune actually does cause emissions to go over the limit? I have been reading through the threads about the Brenspeed tunes and realize that reflashing the stock tune solves the problem, but I wonder if it's really necessary.

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Good Question

I have been wondering about this myself. If the tune changes the stock air/fuel ratio, it probably will fail emissions. If so, I wonder what the extra fuel does to the converters. Many of the folks here are not subject emissions tests. I hope this thread gets plenty of response.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Most all tunes,only concern WOT operation,which is not tested in the Emission Tests.
Of course,if you need Part Throttle tuning,due to a cam change,that would be different.

·
Registered
49 Posts
gesner said:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/500519-brenspeed-tune-and-emissions.html

http://forums.stangnet.com/758503-brenspeed-tune-failed-pa-emissions-testing-help-2.html

I'd say the answer is: most likely you will not pass emissions if you have to pass a dyno test that simulates driving loads (Portland requires this)

A Brenspeed rep would probably know the answer. I'm not even sure how often emissions are required. I guess it varies by state but I've never had the great state of Nebraska ask for a test and I don't think I'll volunteer to take one.

·
Administrator
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From reading the threads that gesner listed (Thanks!) it looks like:

1. When buying the tune I should specify that I need an emissions-friendly tune, and that my area requires checking emissions via the OBDII port.

2. After reflashing a tune, stock or otherwise, it is necessary to drive a while under various conditions in order to properly reset the computer.

I have read a lot of positive reviews about the Brenspeed tunes, and with this additional information I feel better about trying one.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Just another reason I'm happy to live in GA.

No emissions here.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
gesner said:
http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-v8-technical-discussions/500519-brenspeed-tune-and-emissions.html

http://forums.stangnet.com/758503-brenspeed-tune-failed-pa-emissions-testing-help-2.html

I'd say the answer is: most likely you will not pass emissions if you have to pass a dyno test that simulates driving loads (Portland requires this)
Gesner,

How interesting..........

On the Test Procedure there for Emmissions........

Here it is simply hooking up to the Computer under the steering wheel.

That sounds like a rough test !!!!!!!!!!! Where you live

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
495 Posts
gesner said:
I have been wondering about this myself. If the tune changes the stock air/fuel ratio, it probably will fail emissions. If so, I wonder what the extra fuel does to the converters. Many of the folks here are not subject emissions tests. I hope this thread gets plenty of response.
Extra fuel makes the catalyst run cooler, it's extra air you have to watch out for.

·
Registered
29,355 Posts
STJonesin4 said:
Emmissions = another way for the state to make money for nothing.
Steve,

It is kinda interesting that there are "Federal/State" Emissions Stations here. Good or Bad.

But when You are sitting in Line waiting to go through here are so many vehicles that

(Barely) are Road Worthy. Tires, Brakes, Brake-Lights, and the List goes on.

If they really wanted to protect (People) they should get the JUNK either (Repaired) or

(Condemned).

But I use to live in a State where they did have State Inspections for Safety.

That was like many other things, (Profit) for some Businesses.

Meaning it was NOT very well controlled.........

Until just very recently I have worked for Automotive Dealers in their Service Departments.

And it would (SCARE) the Public in a Major-Way if they just had any idea of the "Condition"

of the Vehicle in Front-Rear-Beside them going down the Interstate at 80MPH Plus.

Seriously, way to many JUNKY Vehicles are on the Highway (EVERYDAY) !!!!!!!!

tigerhonaker

·
Registered
495 Posts
I frequently see vehicles crabbing so bad they are almost driving sideways. No inspections of any kind in Michigan, and you can tell by the cars you see on the road. Police seem to have no interest in defective equipment either.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Dave and Julie said:
I frequently see vehicles crabbing so bad they are almost driving sideways. No inspections of any kind in Michigan, and you can tell by the cars you see on the road. Police seem to have no interest in defective equipment either.
+1

Personally I love it even more when I'm cruising down the road minding my own business when someone pulls out in front of me and their car is going through as much oil as it is fuel (seems as of late that is happening quite often in Michigan).

·
Registered
172 Posts
ncampbell2002 said:
+1

Personally I love it even more when I'm cruising down the road minding my own business when someone pulls out in front of me and their car is going through as much oil as it is fuel (seems as of late that is happening quite often in Michigan).
This is one of the reasons why emissions testing is important. We have a number here to report vehicles polluting excessively.

·
Administrator
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found out today that if I keep below 5,000 miles yearly, the vehicle is 'exempt' from emissions testing. I can do whatever I want to the car. :clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
RonReam said:
I found out today that if I keep below 5,000 miles yearly, the vehicle is 'exempt' from emissions testing. I can do whatever I want to the car. :clap: :clap:
Now there is a new reason to try to mess with the odometer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts