Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Bullitt that had previously been lost to katrina, and it really wasn't in bad shape. I now plan to fully dismantle and rebuild this from the bottom up.

In case you can't tell by the name the project is called "Rebirth 3353" serial #03353

I am in the process of locating my final sticker from ford.

Here are some pics, I did a quick 10 minute wash, and haven't had a chance to clean the interior:

-- This is an automatically generated IMBOC.com message --

This is my first post. My Welcome thread is here. Please post all my welcome messages there.

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Welcome aboard and good luck with the project. She look good on the outside!!!

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
I think it is great that you are fixing it up! To me that shows how special these cars are! Not even 7 years old and already people are saving them. Good luck with the resto!
She already looks good on the outside!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Of course you already know that the electrical will be the biggest problem. EVERY wire and connector will have to be replaced.

Good job on saving it and good luck in the resto!

Just curious, if you don't mind, how much did you get it for?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Awesome man! This is good news indeed. Looks like you should start calling out of state car dismantlers to locate a new wiring harness and carpets. Is the engine junk? If soo remember that the engine is basic GT material with the bullitt accessories on it, soo a 4.6 can be had from anywhere. Hows the interior? Are the foam pads on the seats FUBAR? How about the dash? Did it make it out okay? The plastics can be cleaned and painted if needed. The ECU is probably hosed but thats not really that expensive either.

Good luck and keep us updated.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
sweet

so what's the low down on that thing? was it washed out after being flooded, or was it luckily say just up to the floor boards or something?

I look forward to hearing more :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I did some searching on here before I bought it.

The previous owner said it got 6ft of water, but it only has 19k mi on it.
I paid $2500 for it, and a good bit of work has already been done to it.

The pics I posted are after a 10 minute car wash after it was delivered.

Here's the history of the car, as best I know.

Purchased 2001 in Slidell, LA
Subframes, underhood billet kit, and densecharger intake installed
Aug. 05; at 19k miles, Hurricane Katrina blew in flooding this car in it's garage in 6ft of water.
Car is purchased by small dealer from CoPart at insurance auction
This small dealer is funded by a man in St. Petersburg, FL. The man running the dealership in Baton Rouge discovers the wonderful world of Crack and drives the business into the ground in the process.
A tow company pics up several cars from the lot, this one was in the bunch.
Backer in florida tries to buy the car back from the tow company for $5700
Owner refuses to sell it to him.
This car sat in a tow yard for almost a year, covered, but only by a tarp.
The woman that owns the tow company is also and attorney/cpa/home builder. She builds houses the $400k range, not including the piece of dirt it sits on.
I used to build drag race diesels in Houston.
I worked for a salvage company, my job was to buy 200+ cars a week for salvage.
This woman dealt with me a lot, with all the wrecked cars she'd get stuck with, and knew I was into mustangs.
She told me she had this car and that it was flood damaged, but she didn't know what "Bullitt" meant.

Well with my diesel background, she trusted me to work on her tow trucks on the side when I had time, I'd give her her a deal, she was a business associate of both me and my mother (my mom sells real estate, but only $500k+ homes)

I told her I wanted the car about 6 months ago, and she's held it for me since. One of her former employees stole the guage cluster out of it and the driver's mirror was broken.

I already have the original cluster and mirror.

Since a Bullit is nothing more than dress-up items and a killer intake manifold, I can use my old connections in the salvage business to basically find a complete 01 GT that's been rear-ended and strip every essential part out of it. The only thing I may have to purchase new may be the seat covers. The driver's has a little bolster wear, and there's a light scratch in the back seat.

I do plan to rebuild the engine and tranny, even after getting replacements, that way all the original parts can stay with the car, and eventually go back in it.

The is a bit of corrosion on the outside of the intake manifold, but I may send it to be polished, along with a few other things.

So it's not going to be a terribly tough project, but Ireally think the work is going to pay off. The body is completely straight minus a few dings and scratches.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I remember reading a member posting shortly after Katrina hit about losing his Bullitt. I wonder if this is it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You got a REAL BARGAIN there! Good luck with the Project. Please keep us informed on your progress (with pictures).

There are quite a few other things that make it a Bullitt other than "dress-up items and a killer intake". I won't go into detail here but consider things like Brakes & Suspension.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh well, yeah, but not major components. I actually have the Bullitt brake kit on my other stang, so I will gladly swap it over lol. I also have full bilstiens, but Tokicos have a lifetime warranty so I can warranty them out, but I doubt they're bad, they stay sealed regardless o what happens around them for the most part. Same thing with the springs, can't really damage them in water.

I was mainly speaking of the parts that will need some attention.

I actually have an originaly brochure that list all the extras on the Bullitt package, along the poster that simply says "Just in case they were planning a sequel". I love it

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Welcome aboard and best of luck with the rebirth, and a BIG THANKS for saving a bullitt.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Welcome!!!!!!!!Good luck with the project....You'll love the car when you're out driving it.....

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
cool story

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm tearing it down tonight, interior first and cleaning and checking every inch of every component. I've got to find a way to store this stuff safely while I'm doing this, it's gonna take up a lot of room lol

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Great story. Glad someone has the energy to do this sort of thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Rebirth3353...I'm the previous owner of 3353. I'm a fire Fighter in New Orleans and left her in my garage for Katrina,lol. Thinking she would be safe but drowned in 6 ft 2 inches of water. Always wondered what happen to the car. Good luck with your rebuild. Now have a 06 GT.

·
Registered
816 Posts
squidfd41 said:
Hey Rebirth3353...I'm the previous owner of 3353. I'm a fire Fighter in New Orleans and left her in my garage for Katrina,lol. Thinking she would be safe but drowned in 6 ft 2 inches of water. Always wondered what happen to the car. Good luck with your rebuild. Now have a 06 GT.

That is cool a Family reunion!
Good Luck with the rebuild! Big Project! Killer Car!

·
Registered
6 Posts
nice to here u know what ur doing with the car kind of sounds like my story. salvage business/body shop i spent a summer cleaning bad dirty flood cars lots of wd40 and will power it will come out of it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts