Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What set-ups are you guys running in a NON-factory rear ends?

I broke my axles on Sunday at the track. I couldn't believe they broke because I only had the street tires on. I KNEW it would probably happen the next time I threw the ET Streets on but not street tires. Made 4 passes and then it broke.

Anyways, I think I'm going back with a Limited Slip Eaton 31 spline Diff and Moser 31 spline axles.

Question I have is this, Do I need to put C-clip eliminators in or will I be fine with the C-clips?

I can get my Eaton from a freind for $200 bucks and then the axles are $249. I think Imma install all of it....
Any help would be great....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,703 Posts
Why don't you try to NOT break your stuff right before the shootout?!!?

Check your PMs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
kaylan1521 said:
I wouldn't bother with the c clip eliminators but definitely beef up the rest.
I hate to admit it but i agree with a dam canadian!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,432 Posts
Why don't you break your stuff right before the shootout?!!? I mean really, some people might think your wanting to not race the shootout:rolleyes: . Not that I will.:exclaim:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have it ready! Got the Eaton Diff already. $250 for axles is a peice of cake!

Good to hear that I dont need the the C-clip elims..... saves me about 200 bucks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
I did the mosers with a truck center but if you can get the eaton that cheap go for it. Heck, I did that when I first put gears in the car when it was only running 13's. I also never ran slicks on my '87 until I got axles even though at the time the car was only running 12's. Heard to many stories of them breaking so never took a chance. You may get 100 drag strip runs or it could break the first time that it hooks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VORTECD said:
I did the mosers with a truck center but if you can get the eaton that cheap go for it. Heck, I did that when I first put gears in the car when it was only running 13's. I also never ran slicks on my '87 until I got axles even though at the time the car was only running 12's. Heard to many stories of them breaking so never took a chance. You may get 100 drag strip runs or it could break the first time that it hooks.
I made exactly 12 passes at the track. 8 with slicks and 3.27 gears and 4 passes with 4.10 gears on street tires...........then SNAP!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Bullitt3246 said:
I made exactly 12 passes at the track. 8 with slicks and 3.27 gears and 4 passes with 4.10 gears on street tires...........then SNAP!
You seem to have the worst luck....quit while your ahead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BlackBullitt5583 said:
You seem to have the worst luck....quit while your ahead.
nah, I just upgrade after stuff breaks..... Gives me a reason to upgrade ya know? Easier to explain to the woman why I'm buying it....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Bullitt3246 said:
nah, I just upgrade after stuff breaks..... Gives me a reason to upgrade ya know? Easier to explain to the woman why I'm buying it....
^Yeah, there's no need to explain that, "honey my axles broke, I'm buying new ones" the end. Are you guys running serious power? I don't hear of broken axles too much unless you've got like 400+hp.:question:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ponyryd said:
^Yeah, there's no need to explain that, "honey my axles broke, I'm buying new ones" the end. Are you guys running serious power? I don't hear of broken axles too much unless you've got like 400+hp.:question:
Mine was on a motor pass with street tires. 278 RWHP and 298 TQ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Bullitt3246 said:
The Damage!

Seems to only be the passenger side as the driver side still feels tight....
Once you get the new axles, can I have your drivers side axle so I have a spare when I twist mine apart? LOL!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
146 Posts
Bullitt3246 said:
The Damage!

Seems to only be the passenger side as the driver side still feels tight....
That is usually the one that breaks. Chances are your trac-loc was weak, slipping, and putting more power to that axle since that tire was probably spinning a little.

With a built trac-loc (extra clutches, heavier spring), stock axles, and drag radials, I had about 100 passes on my setup. Most on nitrous. 1.7x 60' and never broke an axle. There again, I was putting equal power to each.

My new rearend setup is a narrowed 8.8, 31 spline detroit locker, Moser custom alloy axles, 9" big bearing ends, S.O.S axle braces, Motorsport girdle, welded tubes, etc. It has been less than fun building it. I ran into many problems along the way. It should be virtually bullitt-proof. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BlackBullitt5583 said:
Once you get the new axles, can I have your drivers side axle so I have a spare when I twist mine apart? LOL!!!!
ARE you serious? If not it's getting trashed or sold for REAL cheap...
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top