Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I was installing my brand new plugs and Accel Super Coils, wouldn't you know it the last CoP to go in, the damn hold down screw broke leaving about 1/4 in of threads sticking out of the hole. I wasn't even torqued yet! It just caught a thread somewhere in there and twisted right off...now I get to dig up a part number and sweet talk some stateside Ford dealer to send me about 5 of them.

I haven't driven the car but about 4 times to keep the tires round in the last 5 months since I've been in England because it had the "misfire" from the bad CoP and now that it's fixed I still can't drive it!!!!! Ever just wish your car would catch on fire...that's how happy I am right now.

Thanks for reading my rant...any info you guys might have on part numbers or good dealers who'll send parts to an overseas military address would be greatly appreciated.

-Jon

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Remove a good one and take to the nuts and bolts guy, in your area. It's not exotic and I'm sure he can fix you up with a replacement. You'll be mobile until you get a genuine bolt, if that's what you want.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
You can still drive the car. I broke one off and cant get the broke piece out of the car. I have been driving just fine just make sure its pushed down all the way. Maybe some day i will drill it out. O and yea ford just looked through there nuts and bolts ben and fond a new bolt for me.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the inputs guys! I'm gonna grab one of the good ones and see if I can track down a suitable substitute. I've got some sheet metal/structural maintenance buddies stationed here with me. They can get some seriously jacked up screws out of some of the tightest places in an aircraft so I think they be able to pull the threads out of the hole for me. I thought I remembered a couple guys saying they had a broken screw and were still fine to drive so thanks for posting Charles and Bruce. Five years on this site and still never disappointed...IMBOC rocks...thanks again!

-Jon

·
Registered
771 Posts
Shoot me a PM... I have eight spares in the garage I'd be glad to send you free of charge man! Correct COP Bolts that is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the same damn thing happen. Well, the previous owner did to be exact. I couldn't get the broken bolt out either. Every time I check the fluids, I just give the COP a good push. Hasn't caused any problems yet.

And should this happen to anyone else, I have three spare bolts also.

K

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kempesh said:
I had the same damn thing happen. Well, the previous owner did to be exact. I couldn't get the broken bolt out either. Every time I check the fluids, I just give the COP a good push. Hasn't caused any problems yet.

And should this happen to anyone else, I have three spare bolts also.

K
I'm hoping that the little bit that's sticking out still will provide enough to turn it back out. If not you've really managed to calm me down knowing that the car will be fine in the long run. I was soooooo mad in my garage when it broke!! Mainly because I've been so excited to get the misfire fixed so I could drive it then that happened...ha ha...totally my luck.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rblack4405 said:
Is the misfire fixed?
Oh yeah...I drove it yesterday and the misfire is history. I forgot how the car felt when it's running strong...oh I missed it!! Very happy with the Accel CoPs!

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Bullitt 736 said:
Make sure the engine is cold when you remove or install them. A little lube will help too. Slow and easy with them.
That's what she said!

·
Registered
879 Posts
this is hilarious i broke one of my bolts holding my coil in too. Never been driven enough to take it out and its been fine the last 9000 miles. although ive been told the bolt was used as a ground of some sort idk

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Tig welder. Seriously. With the different metals (alum. vs. steel) it's even easier to extract a broken bolt. Even works if it's broken-off below the surface.

Just build-up a little "knot" of weld-metal on the end of the broken stub, enough that it stands "proud" of the surface enough to get a locking-pliers on it. Let it just stop glowing, then clamp on and twist it out. Won't even matter if you "get the edge" of the hole a little with dis-similar metals, though I've rarely done so. Sometimes it breaks-off again, just weld another knot on there. If it gets hard to turn, heat the bolt again to glowing, then twist it immediately after it stops glowing.

Anybody that actually knows how to operate a Tig can do this easily. I've removed quite-literally DOZENS, maybe as many as a Hundred broken bolts this way, including on autos. Even without damaging paint.

It goes without saying, you should disconnect the Negative terminal of the Battery, have no fuel leaks, etc. - all the standard precautions for welding on an automobile.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts