Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas guys. I broke one of the COP bolts on the bullitt. I drilled the bolt and removed it but then the tap broke off in the hole. I do not want to disassemble everything just to take it to a machine shop. Do i have any other options? Maybe a bracket or something else to hold down the COP.

I do not have drill bits that can drill into the Snap On tap so that I can use a left handed bit on it

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
how far down in the hole is the top of the tap? They do make tap extractors

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the same problem happen to me. I tried to drill a hole in the bolt so that I could use an "easy out" or left handed drill bit but broke the drill bit inside the hole.

Since I couldn't drill out the drill bit, I ended up drilling a hole (as close as I could) just next to the broken bit, tapped it out, and screwed into it. The COP is slightly off center but you would never know it and it still makes perfect contact with the spark plug.

I don't know if this would work in your situation, I guess it depends on how big your tap was. The drill bit I used was very tiny so drilling next to it didn't change the location too much.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
See if a local machine-shop has a tap-extractor you can borrow (or take the car to them, if possible).

Or, try http://www.mcmaster.com/ - type "tap extractor" in the search box, scroll down the page - they've got 'em for $10-$30.

If you don't need the car "Right NOW", this is the way I'd go - McMaster will sell to anybody, and they have every-f'n-thing under the sun.............

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
got it fixed, drilled a small hole just above the original location and bought a pack of self tapping screws. Everything worked out great. Appreciate the help guys. Now the lightning can go back into the garage lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts