Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever or currently own a Bullitt and a Cobra (specifically '03/'04)? Just curious how a cobra handles with the IRS compared to a bullitt with stock suspension or highly modified suspension. I read a good article on how the mustange is designed to understeer to compensate for it's natural tendancy to oversteer. So it oversteers at first, but pushed to far it will oversteer in a heartbeat. I've noticed this on numerous occasions. Just curious how much improvement can be made to the bullitt suspension and I just like to compare stock cars.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
my understanding is...

IRS really shines when the road is uneven with a few bumps, which is good for street driving.

on the track, they perform really closely, but a Bullitt will out handle a cobra due to the lighter weight and being more nimble.

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
I found the '04 Cobra to be more responsive with a better feel for the road specially on sharp curves. Having 275s all around was probably a contributing factor.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i have an irs on my bullitt. and have had my front sway bar removed for a while. so obviously im not all that into handling but i definetly feel more comforable in turns with the irs compared to the solid. doesnt feel as jumpy on the street and stays much straiter. also it launches like a mother.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have H&R sport springs,Bilisten shocks and struts, MM Full Subs, and 20x9 20x10 rims on Nittos. I was able to hang with a M3 n the Canyons felt like I was on rails.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have heard of a lot of cobra owners are getting rid or the IRS because of too much wheel hop when launching. I sold my bullitt springs to a cobra owner that visited IMBOC. He said a solid axle and Bullitt springs were the preferred upgrades by cobra owners. My car had M&R sport springs when I bought it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I had a Bullitt, and currently own a 2003 Cobra. To be honest, I don't think the IRS handles much better than the solid axle. I have no wheel hop issues either, but I know some people with the '03/'04 Cobra'a have had problems. The only real week link to the IRS is the diff cover. It helps support the center section with two large bolts passing through the cover. The covers tend to break when you start adding power (and better traction) to the car. It's easily fixed with an IRS diff brace, which I have. The IRS rides great, and I even run H&R Race Springs.

Several drag race guys have swapped their Cobra's IRS for solid axles. But, there are also 10 second Cobra's running on the IRS. Basically, it's cool to be able say "Yea, my Terminator has a blower, 6 speed, and IRS from the factory"... but, I don't know the IRS is worth much more! LOL

·
Registered
136 Posts
All Mustangs understeer because they have a terrible front/rear balance issue (58/42). It's just the way they are. Drive a BMW or Corvette to the limits someday and you'll see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
987 Posts
FrequentFlyer said:
All Mustangs understeer because they have a terrible front/rear balance issue (58/42). It's just the way they are. Drive a BMW or Corvette to the limits someday and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Very true.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Having owned both...The Cobra handles much better over rough ground. However, it does feel heavier. The Bullitt is harsher, but feels lighter. I think at the limits however, the Cobra will handle slightly better. The wheel hop issue is a launching issue, not a handling issue. In drag racing, the IRS most definitly is not the best. However in handling in everyday examples, I like the IRS better.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
I owned a 01 cobra an now the 01 Bullitt...an..i dont think the IRS is a big improvement...looking at it apples to apples:lol:..but there have ben many times i have wished i wud have kept the cobra...more horses an a much better tranny..my .02

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
OGBATMAN said:
I have H&R sport springs,Bilisten shocks and struts, MM Full Subs, and 20x9 20x10 rims on Nittos. I was able to hang with a M3 n the Canyons felt like I was on rails.
you have the 20s? lets see some photos.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The Shelby 500 is a very top heavy 58/42 not the last generation Mustang. The new Mustang GT weight distribution is 51/49 which is very respectable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts