Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the install just got finished a couple days ago, and I had it put on the Dyno at Archangel Motorsports here in Tulsa and I ended up with:

385rwhp and 415rwtq

That's with the stock Kenne Bell tune. The feel of the car is remarkable. It's so nice knowing that when I need the power it's there. I'm going to possibly have it tuned for a timing adjustment and get an SCT Programmer in case I wanted to switch to 93 Pump gas. Although I've never driven a Big-block car (except for a sluggish 67 with a 390) I can imagine that it would feel somewhat the same. The low end torque makes me smile every time.

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
So, how was the installation? It's a lot of work, but when you step on it for the first time, what a rush! I'm just about due for rear tires....I can't stop getting into it.

Nice #'s! I bet you can't wipe that grin off of your face! What do you enjoy more, the acceleration or the whine? I built Cobra Replicas with big blocks for a few years, and I have to say that the KB Bullitt comes awfully close! It actually feels faster because the acceleration is more instantaneous than the carburated big blocks.

Again...great numbers....have fun...be safe:badgrin:

Bruce

·
Registered
722 Posts
You two sure aren't helping me out, I want my Kenne Bell even more now! Still saving up pennies...

Btw, what other mods do you have Dakota?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know Bruce, I'd have to give it a tie, what I love is you'd never guess I have a KB on my car because I don't have any Cats and Flowmaster Super 40's, so the only time you hear the whine is when I'm on it, and for the few cars I've already raced, by then it was way too late! lol! The install was pretty smooth, I actually had it done at Archangel and they helped me out a little. Thanks for all the advice Bruce! btw, do you feel somewhat of an explosion every time you shift gears? Is that the blow off valve?

Dizzy, I had a CAI and Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, but the kit required both to come off. I still however am sitting on a Short throw shifter, 3.73 gears, H-pipe with no Cats, and Flowmaster Super 40's. Also Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft. Thinking about possibly upgrading my clutch at some point. Also I have Deep Dish Black Bullitt rims 18x9 up front 18x10 in back with goodyear F1 Supercar tires, 285/40/18, they hook very nicely

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Jagwire540 said:
I don't know Bruce, I'd have to give it a tie, what I love is you'd never guess I have a KB on my car because I don't have any Cats and Flowmaster Super 40's, so the only time you hear the whine is when I'm on it, and for the few cars I've already raced, by then it was way too late! lol! The install was pretty smooth, I actually had it done at Archangel and they helped me out a little. Thanks for all the advice Bruce! btw, do you feel somewhat of an explosion every time you shift gears? Is that the blow off valve?

Dizzy, I had a CAI and Steeda Underdrive Pulleys, but the kit required both to come off. I still however am sitting on a Short throw shifter, 3.73 gears, H-pipe with no Cats, and Flowmaster Super 40's. Also Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft. Thinking about possibly upgrading my clutch at some point. Also I have Deep Dish Black Bullitt rims 18x9 up front 18x10 in back with goodyear F1 Supercar tires, 285/40/18, they hook very nicely
I don't feel anything when I shift other than the explosion of acceleration.:wink:
Seriously, the drivability is actually as good or better than before the install. Could the explosion be due to lack of cats? Hopefully someone here with much more knowledge than me (doesn't take much) will chime in.
Bruce

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
DiZzyBonne said:
You two sure aren't helping me out, I want my Kenne Bell even more now! Still saving up pennies...

Btw, what other mods do you have Dakota?
DiZzyBonne,
C'mon, get going....you certainly won't regret it..:wink:

If you are going to do the install yourself, PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my writeup that may (or may not) help you out.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Your feeling an explosion? Can you use any other words to descride that??

"explosions" are not good......I would get it on the dyno for a custom tune asap if it were me. Any idea where your a/f was at??

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know if an explosion would be the right way to put it, it sounds more like an extreme jolt of air and seems to be coming out of the exhaust, and it's only when I'm shifting into a new gear. The a/f was measured right past the manifolds before the H pipe crossing and he said it was tuned EXTREMELY safe, and I would trust this tuner. I'm thinking it's just the blowoff releasing all the pressure.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Very good numbers dakota. Am in the process of finishing putting the new motor back together for 1543. The old one made 380rwhp and 375tq. with the K-B tune. Unless you have done bottom end work on your motor that tune is pretty much at the top for the stock bottom end. I'am using an 03 cobra block,crank,and rods, went 20 over with 18cc deep dish pistons, using my 2v heads and my K-B. Will have my son who owns a mustang hipo shop tune it and he believes that we should be able to get about 460 rwhp on pump gas. We will be doing a pulley change from 9psi to at least 14psi.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Me and the wife took a cruise with Dakota in his beast today...IT WAS SWEET! Seriously, you don't hear the whine over the exhaust until your already pinned to the seat. I am soooo envious! Thanks for the fun, Dakota!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you talking about a high end speed test? What would be the difference between a low and a high test? It was dyno'd on a dynapack in 4th gear. (they replaced my rear wheels with what I would call 'stubs' that slid into the dyno) I was told this was very accurate most of the time.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
they meant hi-test gas as in 93 octane, you should AT LEAST be running 91, definitely not 87 basic in that car with the high compression from the blower...

as for an explosion, i would suggest visiting a tuner also, sounds like some detonation or blow-back possibly?

good luck, and be safe!

shaun

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, yeah, the car was using a 91 Octane Gas, and 93 is difficult to get around here. I was told the explosion may be the blow-off. Considering it only happens when switching gears.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.