Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bullitt dies (won't idle) when started after it has been sitting a few hours until it warms to operating temp. It restarts easily and then dies again. I have a Speedcal installed - could there be a bad connection? Also, I have not changed the battery since new. Could I have a battery going bad or possibly a bad connection? Any suggestions would be appriciated!

Jack Mathews

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
If it starts then it probably is not the battery. Sounds like maybe the idle control valve of if youhave a K&N filter if it was just cleaned it could have sucked oil onto the MAF.

You can clean the IAC with carb cleaner.

Someone else may have a better idea than me.

·
Charles
13,300 Posts
Try tapping the IAC lightly with a hammer when it does this (NO JOKE). I learned this on this forum way back when. If it starts up and idles then the IAC needs a good cleaning or replacement. It can be hit or miss on how long the cleaning fix will last.

My wife nearly fainted when she saw me open my hood with a hammer in my hand and saying I was going to fix the thing once and for all.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
when and if you get it running does it stumble or have now power at all when you drive it? If so you could have a MAF problem. But from what your saying it sounds like a Idle air control.

·
Registered
14,703 Posts
Sounds like the IAC to me. Do as they said and lightly tap it with a hammer or wrench. If the IAC is the problem that will usually fix it temporarily. If so, either remove and clean it or replace it.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Do you have a Cold air intake? if so which one. My car was giving me problems a little while back and it turned out that the MAF and the actual intake tube became partially seperated and was sucking in more air behind the MAF instead of through it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No cold air intake. I have full power as long as it is running, it just decreases RPM until it dies. I have a K&N filter that I'm sure needs cleaning. Any tricks to dismantling the filter box and putting it back together - I had a heck of a time putting it back together last time. That is one reason I have not cleaned the filter. You guys are great. Thanks for the info!

Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts