Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 bullitt badges that I'm going to use to replace the GT badges on the sides of the car. Does anyone know the best way to get those off of the car?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
hyperliteCKY said:
I've got 2 bullitt badges that I'm going to use to replace the GT badges on the sides of the car. Does anyone know the best way to get those off of the car?
There are a lot of threads in here about different badges people have used and the best ways to get the GT badges off. I just replaced mine with the ones in the picture. Most people have used dental floss as the means to remove the old badges. I needed about 10 lengths each about 8-10" long. Just get the floss behind the emblem and use a firm but slow "sawing" motion. Be patient, it takes time. Work your way all the way around the emblem. As you are doing this know that there are 2 pilot studs that extend from the rear of each emblem. The pins are just about dead center. You will know when you have found them. Work the floss all the way around the emblem toward the pins. Don't force the emblem off, you risk taking paint. Be patient and the emblem will basically fall off. You will be left with some clean up of the old 2 sided tape. I simply used my thumbnail not so much to scrap it off but to push it off. Use something rigid plastic, but not sharp if you have no nails. After the old tape is gone you will just have some residue. Be careful what you use for this, I used a very small amount of "GOO Gone" and this worked great. After it's all cleaned up it will look like there was never anything there, except for the 2 pilot holes. I waxed the area before I installed the new emblems, trust me, they'll stay. Your going to get one chance when you install your new ones, so make sure they are where you want them....John

P.S., the whole thing took only about 30 minutes start to finish including placing the new emblems....
John R :cool:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
I used WD-40 to remove the sticky stuff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MaineBullitt said:
There are a lot of threads in here about different badges people have used and the best ways to get the GT badges off. I just replaced mine with the ones in the picture. Most people have used dental floss as the means to remove the old badges. I needed about 10 lengths each about 8-10" long. Just get the floss behind the emblem and use a firm but slow "sawing" motion. Be patient, it takes time. Work your way all the way around the emblem. As you are doing this know that there are 2 pilot studs that extend from the rear of each emblem. The pins are just about dead center. You will know when you have found them. Work the floss all the way around the emblem toward the pins. Don't force the emblem off, you risk taking paint. Be patient and the emblem will basically fall off. You will be left with some clean up of the old 2 sided tape. I simply used my thumbnail not so much to scrap it off but to push it off. Use something rigid plastic, but not sharp if you have no nails. After the old tape is gone you will just have some residue. Be careful what you use for this, I used a very small amount of "GOO Gone" and this worked great. After it's all cleaned up it will look like there was never anything there, except for the 2 pilot holes. I waxed the area before I installed the new emblems, trust me, they'll stay. Your going to get one chance when you install your new ones, so make sure they are where you want them....John

P.S., the whole thing took only about 30 minutes atrt to finish including placing the new emblems....
John R :cool:

Thanks alot MaineBullitt, lots of help

·
Premium Member
7,414 Posts
hyperliteCKY said:
By BULLITT badges do you mean just like the rear letters? If so they won't cover the two holes under the GT badge. Those holes are 3/8" & 1/8" and the larger one is dimpled. The holes are spaced about 1" to 1 1/4" apart.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
jrbullit said:
hey this is russell DHG #03986 i used a hair dryer and pulled them right off
I wish I had tried that.....Lesson learned John

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Hair dryer and kite string (not everyone uses dental floss! :grin:

I have done this a number of times and its works easily and quickly. Only takes 10-15 minutes per badge.

DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN to remove the badging.

For future reference, the Ford Oval badge at the rear, has 2 horizontal holes (rather than vertical).

I have gone from the OEM "GT" badges to the RED 4.6 High Performance badging (see sig) and now sport these:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:
Hair dryer and kite string (not everyone uses dental floss! :grin:

I have done this a number of times and its works easily and quickly. Only takes 10-15 minutes per badge.

For future reference, the Ford Oval badge at the rear, has 2 horizontal holes (rather than vertical).

I have gone from the OEM "GT" badges to the RED 4.6 High Performance badging (see sig) and now sport these:
Would you hurry up and redo your sig photo!!! I want to see those badges already!
Did you replace the blue oval with something, if so what did you use...John

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
Would you hurry up and redo your sig photo!!! I want to see those badges already!
Did you replace the blue oval with something, if so what did you use...John
Will take pics this weekend!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Did the hair dryer and kite string per Smoking Bullitt's recommendations-worked great. Picked up those badges from MRT and they look great. I went to a show this past weekend and the badges drew lots of attention, almost everyone thought it was part of the Bullitt package. I never liked those GT badges.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:
Here is one pic (I will take more and better ones):
Those look great!!! The silver color of your (and Mine-see below) badges fit the theme of our cars a bit better than the ones you removed. Off the car I still like the red 4.6 supercharged emblems better, but on the car I like the ones we have chosen. Thanks for posting.....John R

·
Registered
656 Posts
SmokinBullitt said:

Whats wrong with using a heat gun? :confused: I used one when I removed my badges with no problem what so ever. Just don't turn it up to high. Works the same as a hair dryer but quicker. I also have the same badges as MaineBullitt.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
DOC1FMF said:
Whats wrong with using a heat gun? :confused: I used one when I removed my badges with no problem what so ever. Just don't turn it up to high. Works the same as a hair dryer but quicker. I also have the same badges as MaineBullitt.
Nothing wrong with a heat gun, as long as care is taken, and you know what you are doing. My point was I didn't want anyone with little or no knowledge of a heat gun, using one and taking off the paint! :sad: That would suck! :grin:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I just pulled and they came right off.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ezekial said:
I just pulled and they came right off.
Are you serious? Remind me never to get in a tug of war with you!!!!!!!
So do we have the makings of a convoy to Myrtle Beach next summer? John R

·
Registered
370 Posts
I just used Fishing line works great

1 - 20 of 27 Posts