Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sensed a more negative tone to this site in the past couple of weeks. Maybe just fallout from the events of 09/11. Therefore I was not going to mention this article I saw on a British web site but since some here want to see all available articles on the Bullitt, here is one that was not very favorable. It is a little old so forgive me if anyone here has seen it before.

www.motoring.telegraph.co.uk.com

Go to "Test Drive" and on the bottom of the list is one called "Biting the Bullitt"

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Autoexpress from the UK had a short article on the Bullitt. Not too thrilled with the car.

But remember- these things get import taxes and cost much more than what we pay. So, the Bullitt is probably head to head with hotrod BMWs and TVRs.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just curious. How did you pull the article directly into the link. If too complicated, I understand.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You gotta love the limeys with words like "tyres" and all of the fine vehicles worth considering. I'm surprised the Mini Cooper isn't included. BTW Brits, the brake pedal is the one on the right that moves, not the one on the left that doesn't move.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info on copying articles directly to a post. I learned my one new thing for the day so I'll leave early and take the long way home in the Bullitt. (beautiful, sunny high 70's fall day in Alabama)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Not everyone will get it. And that's fine with me, b/c I do and I love the car. Remember, European reporters generally prefer handling prowess over power. Handling is very important and adds to the driving excitement, but to really have fun you need something that can get you going quick and loud.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With apologies to RoushRaven, I believe these two articles highlight the differences between American and European drivers. European drivers tend to like light, nimble sports cars which derive their performance from their HP/weight ratio. I have a friend who grew up in London and recently moved to the States and drives a Miata. He readily admits that he doesn't understand the whole American muscle concept and finds RWD V-8 cars a bit heavy for his tastes. His only experience with cars weighing over 3,000lbs is various BMW and Mercedes sedans. He also doesn't understand our infatuation with the 1/4-mile. "Who cares how quick the car is in a straight line? Most roads aren't straight."

I do find it interesting, however, that he listed Starsky & Hutch's Torino as worth considering. I would be extremely surprised if that car performs anywhere near what the Bullitt does.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I have personally driven the German roads and let me tell you,they are not straight nor are they very wide.The autobahn has curves but they are long.Besides that you can go from one end of the country to the other in about 3 hrs.Why would they want a car that can do it in 2 hrs...lol.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am not sure what the debate is. English states the shifting is ponderous and heavy and the steering sucks. He is right on the money. He praises the engine but says the chassis needs improvement. Are you listening Ford??

·
Registered
835 Posts
A Mini Cooper can't be all bad. It's a Ford too, thanks to Ford's acquisition of Rover.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-27 21:51, TXBullitt wrote:
A Mini Cooper can't be all bad. It's a Ford too, thanks to Ford's acquisition of Rover.
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. Ford got Land Rover only. BMW kept Mini, Triumph, Austin Healy and maybe a few others.

Rover Cars was sold to a group for a few pounds. The new group wants to take Rover in a new direction and is using MG as a performance brand.

MG just aquired Qvale for the use of the Mangusta. The MG X80 is based on the Mangusta and uses a Ford 4.6 V8 which makes 385hp.

Now if I can find a Cobra engine to drop into my MGB, I'll be right in fashion!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts