Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I haven’t even owned my Bullitt a full month yet and have to admit that its done something that none of my other vehicles have ever done for me in decades.

Nope not my modified F-150 Supercrew 4x4! Not my MGB. Not even the Black Shark (Porsche 928 ) has even managed to do this.

Nope this honor goes to the Bullitt.

I must confess that the other day I got pulled over by one of the Golden States Finest (CHiPs) for speeding. Could’ve been worse as he was going to ding me for lane changes without a blinker and tailgating in addition to the speeding. This would’ve made it a “reckless driving” offence and would’ve been a BIG ding on my driving record.

Luckily I did some fast talking asked for a break and some “professional” courteously as I work with law enforcement. Truthfully I suspect if I’d of been a sworn law enforcement officer I’m sure he’d of let me go with a warning.

But as it stands I got a ticket for “Exceeding 65MPH” and has my approximate speed at 83 mph.

Note: First off IMHO the other "violations" are bogus because this is southern Kalifornia and nobody - repeat NOBODY - uses their blinkers to change lanes and everybody tailgates on the city freeways out here. But I wasn't about to be an idiot & arguee with the officer - that would'nt of been a smart move as he already had me by the short hairs.

UGH! Oh well, I still love my Bullitt. Again first speeding ticket in a little over a decade so traffic School here I come.

Any other confessions? :redface:

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
isnt your x-ray bullitt invisible to radar?

·
Registered
9,082 Posts
Bret08 said:
...this is southern Kalifornia and nobody - repeat NOBODY - uses their blinkers to change lanes and everybody tailgates on the city freeways out here...
Maybe not, but they have to start somewhere. No, I'm not an angel when driving my Bullitt, but even when I was chasing a 'vette one day, I used my signals. Call me a dork (many have) but while playing, if I'm gonna have to pay, I want it to be as little as possible. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
chrisW said:
isnt your x-ray bullitt invisible to radar?
Haha! :lol: Yes well you know the Gov'met - any new technology they're involved with or use - they always have the manufacture develop & supply them with countermeasures. :badgrin:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Only thing I can confess is getting busted for having tinted windows, TWICE in the same month. lol

Bret08 said:
nobody - repeat NOBODY - uses their blinkers to change lanes and everybody tailgates on the city freeways out here.
Excuse me, but I ALWAYS use my blinkers, and I NEVER tailgate. I am a defensive driver and I have NEVER had a speeding ticket or accident caused by me. But that doesn't mean I don't APEX every corner and haul ass on freeway on ramps :)

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BigBullitt said:
Maybe not, but they have to start somewhere. No, I'm not an angel when driving my Bullitt, but even when I was chasing a 'vette one day, I used my signals. Call me a dork (many have) but while playing, if I'm gonna have to pay, I want it to be as little as possible. :lol:
Don't misunderstand me. I ain’t whining in the least and actually I hate crybabies complaining about personal freedoms every time the get pulled over. More so the “Live & Die Free" crowd - that feel they should be allowed to drive as fast as want too - who whine about getting a ticket.

In my case I'm going to suck it up and pay the piper - as I was totally in the wrong and deserved what I got.

Still there's nothing wrong with trying to talk your way out of a ticket if at all possible. ;) :cool:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DSG 56 said:
Excuse me, but I ALWAYS use my blinkers, and I NEVER tailgate. I am a defensive driver and I have NEVER had a speeding ticket or accident caused by me. But that doesn't mean I don't APEX every corner and haul ass on freeway on ramps :)
Okey? :doubt: Correction then - most folks don't pay attention to those people who do use their blinkers to make lane changes. ;)

And most of those who do pay attention usually speed up to block the person. :lol:

Remember this is Kalifornia - we have the best drivers in the world here. Where else will you see thousands of cars driving down the Freeways in parade formation doing 70-80 mph right on eachothers arses.

By the same token - I will confess that as good as most of use are out here, we probably have the highest percentage of rude drivers too. ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
Bret08 said:
By the same token - I will confess that as good as most of use are out here, we probably have the highest percentage of rude drivers too. ;)
It might look like people know how to drive out here, but add rainy weather and all hell breaks loose. lol

Yes, we do have rude drivers out here. Anytime my fiance and I are in her Nissan Versa people try to cut us off or pretend like they didn't see us. Or, quite frankly don't respect smaller cars. Funny how that never happens in her GMC Sierra or my Mustang.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I always use my blinkers in the Bullitt because I like the little tick-tock sound it makes.

It's like this little symphony going on with the exhaust note!

You could always take the point on your record and save the driving school for the next one it if happens. One point won't hurt your insurance rates.

Whenever I tell people about how much fun the Bullitt is to drive, I end the conversation with "yeah, it's going to get me in to trouble." I expect to get a radar ticket from a local agency though. It's just too easy to avoid freeway tickets in Cali. Just keep your eye on the rear view and always check the onramps as you pass them. In my 22 years living in the San Diego area I've only received one chippie ticket and I beat that one in court. If you do happen to see a chippie in your rear view and are going a little too fast, let off on the throttle, change to a slower lane and use the e-brake to reduce speed, make sure to hold the release button in of course.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes the guy that got me was one of the solid white “stealth” cruisers – no gumball lights on top or any out worthy things that would catch your eyes. Looked just like something some grandpa would drive.

CHiP friend of mine told me that those guys don’t normally write tickets unless the offence was “blatant”. I think he said they will pull you over but their duties are primarily road & traffic flow services. So I really screwed up I guess.

Gon’a watch it from now on!:doubt: Well maybe a little. ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hate tailgaters. If one of those ******** get on my butt, I SLAM on the breaks. There is no reason for you to be anywhere closer than 1.5 carlengths behind my car.

I don't care who you are.

And if I ever do have an accident for slamming my breaks on a tailgater.

THERE WAS A DAMN DEER IN THE ROAD!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Bret08 said:
Luckily I did some fast talking asked for a break and some “professional” courteously as I work with law enforcement. Truthfully I suspect if I’d of been a sworn law enforcement officer I’m sure he’d of let me go with a warning.
CHP has notorious reputation for citing other LEO's and just recently word came down to show more 'courtesy' to them. CHP has had a superior attitude when it came to other police agencies except of course when they get pulled over in other jurisdictions and then they are are the first to pull out their ID and expect courtesy. :redface: :cry:

When speeding on the freeway make sure another car is always going faster than you!
Signaling is a must - just way too many vehicles quickly changing lanes.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with Bret08

I used to live in So*Cal and I agree with Bret08's assessment. People drive crazy down there. I now live in Nor*Cal and people here are not as bad as So*Cal. The big thing it seems up here is the slow lane IS really slow. The fast lane is really fast. Knock on wood I have yet to be pulled over by any LEO's. I am pretty cautious with my speeding habits. I will probably get caught by one of those radar cops blazing 80+ on a 55 back road.

I use my signals as much as possible. I really try to limit my lane changes while driving fast. If I have to weave I probably shouldnt be speeding.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Bret08 said:
Yes the guy that got me was one of the solid white “stealth” cruisers – no gumball lights on top or any out worthy things that would catch your eyes. Looked just like something some grandpa would drive.

CHiP friend of mine told me that those guys don’t normally write tickets unless the offence was “blatant”. I think he said they will pull you over but their duties are primarily road & traffic flow services. So I really screwed up I guess.

There are two types of low profile CHP cruisers out there right now. The first are commerical enforcement units and besides the all-white paint job, they usually sport pushbars up front and a big 'ol CB antenna on the rear quarter. They've been around more than 20 years and while their primary focus is on truckers, they have no problem pulling over regular motorists also, esp. blantant violators.

Sounds like you may have gotten nailed by the second type, which are relatively new to the scene and are called Primary Collision Factor or "PCF" units. They are identical to the commerical enforcement units but lack the pushbars and CB antenna which makes them very stealthy indeed. The goal of having these units on the road is to reduce the accelerating accident rate in the state by focusing on enforcement of laws related to the driving behaviors associated with the top three primary collision factors in accidents. Any wild guesses what those are?:

* Speeding
* Unsafe lane changes
* Tailgating

Sound familiar? :wink:

HAVE FUN BUT BE SAFE OUT THERE!

PCF unit:

Commerical Enforcement Unit (photo taken last Oct...in Ramona, CA!):

·
Registered
493 Posts
Bret08 said:

There are two types of low profile CHP cruisers out there right now. The first are commerical enforcement units and besides the all-white paint job, they usually sport pushbars up front and a big 'ol CB antenna on the rear quarter. They've been around more than 20 years and while their primary focus is on truckers, they have no problem pulling over regular motorists also, esp. blantant violators.

Sounds like you may have gotten nailed by the second type, which are relatively new to the scene and are called Primary Collision Factor or "PCF" units. They are identical to the commerical enforcement units but lack the pushbars and CB antenna which makes them very stealthy indeed. The goal of having these units on the road is to reduce the accelerating accident rate in the state by focusing on enforcement of laws related to the driving behaviors associated with the top three primary collision factors in accidents. Any wild guesses what those are?:

* Speeding
* Unsafe lane changes
* Tailgating

Sound familiar? :wink:

HAVE FUN BUT BE SAFE OUT THERE!

PCF unit:

Commerical Enforcement Unit (photo taken last Oct...in Ramona, CA!):

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OMG it was the PCF!