Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,I set out to give 0503 it's best chance,to see what it could do,with a good tire setup,and some weight reduction...a good chance of that golden 12 sec. timeslip,plus to see if it could still handle a prepped 2007 GT,with more HP.
Just missed that 12 sec. goal,but was rewarded with still out gunning that pesky '07,and hanging a wheel in the air,doing it.
Any disappointments? Well one, that somewhat bothers me.
That now, new tranny noise! Sounds like that slight whine,the old Muncie 4 speeds had when taking off in 1st thru 3rd gears.
Maybe a stressed bearing,from the hard launch loading,with the stickey tires?
I'm disappointed,in that Ford would use a trans,that can't withstand a good traction launch,from a very small low torque V8 engine.
I am extremely impressed with the performance of the little SOHC 2V engine,as compared to the 5.0/302 cube engines of the past,as I needed a cam and head upgrade,plus the usual headers and intake mods,on my 85 LX,back in it's 5.0 days,to run as quick!
So I'll give the Bullitt a rest from drag duty,for a while, as rebuilding or beefing up a T-3650 trans,is not in the budget anytime soon.
I'll turn to the 85 LX,with all it's beef, to further challenge,my buddy's drag efforts!
Bullitt mission accomplished...for now!

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
not sure, but over the weekend at the NMRA event, spent some time with a vendor who specializes in Tremec trannys. I was expressing my displeasure with the 3650 and he advised that one of the most common problems is twisting the input shaft. Seems that the load put on the 10 spine shaft can be too much, particularly for people who do burn outs using their brakes. He indicated that a N/A fairly stock B shouldn't have a problem, but doing those burnouts puts a lot of stress on that shaft. Possibly that is what happened as the hard launch would put at least the same amount of stress on the shaft as a burnout.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But wouldn't you think,a trans could handle atleast 300 ft.lbs. of torque?
Did they upgrade anything in the 3650,for use in the heavier,more powerfull 2009/2010 Mustang?
I have found that D&D has rebuilt,improved 3650 trannys for around $1200.
Talked to them and they agreed it may be a bearing noise.
But,anyway,the 85 LX will be the weapon of choice for anymore "neighborly" grudge racing! It's built like an anvil....TKO-600...HD 9 inch assembly with 31 spline axles..Detroit Locker unit,Nodular case with cap studs. I put it together back in 1992.

·
Charles
13,303 Posts
Larry,

Dillo Dave ate a tranny a few months back. IIRC, he said he had the car in the shop and the tech asked about the whine. Dave couldn't hear it. A few months later, he began to hear a whine. He thought he trashed the rear. Nope! It was the tranny. He now has a T-56.

He races his and has darg radials I believe so his has seen to some treatments.

I would assume the torque hitting all at once with a 3500 rpm launch is alot harder on the tranny than just rowing through the gear at WOT.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh,the good old days,when you could beat on a 289 Hi-Po Mustang,with top loader 4 spd,and 9 inch rear,all day without a whimper!

Some people like the T-56 6 speed. But why carry the extra weight of another OD gear,you really don't need?

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
not sure what if anything has been upgraded in the 197 stangs, all I know is the 3650, no matter what year....piece of crap unless upgraded by a reputable shop.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to have a possible 3650 fix,but sold it years ago...cheap. The iron case Chrysler 4 spd!!! Now,that would have fixed it!!!! That thing WAS an anvil!!

·
Registered
946 Posts
You know I hear all this bad mouthing of the 3650. How come Kaylan and I don't seem to have this problem with this tranny. I did break the input shaft once and it was at the track on a 3-4th shift. But besides that I haven't had any problems and I'm putting out quite a bit of torque and running slicks(with 60' time in the high 1.40's).So all this bad mouthing seems to be by a few not everyone with the 3650 tranny.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not bad mouthing,but the story is that it is making some noise,after the racing,that was not there before.
I was really taking it easy on the shifts....quick,but getting off the throttle an instant,before the shift.
I try to take care of equipment.
BTW..is that 543HP truly rear wheel HP? If so,you should be in the low 10's

·
Premium Member
12,040 Posts
DOUBLE J said:
You know I hear all this bad mouthing of the 3650. How come Kaylan and I don't seem to have this problem with this tranny. I did break the input shaft once and it was at the track on a 3-4th shift. But besides that I haven't had any problems and I'm putting out quite a bit of torque and running slicks(with 60' time in the high 1.40's).So all this bad mouthing seems to be by a few not everyone with the 3650 tranny.
You beat me to it John. Like you the only problem I have had with the 3650 was a sheared input shaft at about the 1000' mark powershifting 3rd to 4th. Otherwise I launch my car at 5500 rpms on a slick and it just keeps on ticking. (touching wood)

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great to hear from you,Paul! So then maybe the noise is nothing much to worry about.
When you replaced the input shaft,did you have other parts upgraded also?
I would think a trans case bearing,or cluster shaft,main shaft bearing,in this trans,would be the least of failure points,given the close to stock HP,of my setup.
The tranny still shifts well,just like before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts