Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my car used, it came with long tube ceramic headers and an x-pipe.

Well, it's too damn loud. I set off car alarms 2 blocks away.

Since I bought it from a dealership, they of course didn't have the original pipes, so .. does anyone have any information on how I might get the stock sound back?

I am no gear head, so I have no idea how the headers affect the sound, I am just confused on what I need to do.

Can I purchase the stock pipes from ford? Anyone know the part number if so? Do I gotta lose the headers?

I really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
It will be big bucks from ford for a whole exhaust system. I would try to pick up the pieces off the swap section here. Or you could get some cats on your x pipe and get a quieter muffler.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
droopysbullitt said:
If you can find some Bullitt mufflers and weld them in it will help tremendously.
I agree. Keep the headers. That's a huge, expensive mod that you've got there. Just change the mufflers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Keep the headers, get some stock mufflers. Or better yet I'll trade you!!!!:wink: :wink:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
yeah, I wish there was replacements available (course though, then others could buy our exhaust, which isn't cool). I hope to pick up a full setup from someone's car that is in great shape one of these days... coat it in oil & save it :)

·
Car Whisperer
20,886 Posts
My stock H-pipe is for sale if someone is interested. In great shape

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I'm sure the headers make some difference in the sound, but not adversely.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
chrysamere said:
Is it the pipe that makes the Bullitt sound? Do my headers affect the sound?
primarily it's the mufflers

·
Registered
143 Posts
Losing your cats makes it louder, and the long tubes are louder than shorties. It's most likely the mufflers that are causing your issue though. I would just get a new cat back, or get different mufflers welded in. It will cost you way more than you think to get those ceramics taken out. You can't use the stock H with long tubes either.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree, keep the headers, they are the single most expensive exhaust component. Since you have long tube headers you can buy a shorty X or H pipe that would compliment them, but like the others are saying, the right mufflers will help to bring the exhaust note way down.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
chrysamere said:
Would mufflers adversely affect my horsepower?

Not nearly as much as removing the headers. By changing the mufflers you'll basically just be changing the sound of the car, and very little if anything else.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
chrysamere said:
When I bought my car used, it came with long tube ceramic headers and an x-pipe.

Well, it's too damn loud. I set off car alarms 2 blocks away.

Since I bought it from a dealership, they of course didn't have the original pipes, so .. does anyone have any information on how I might get the stock sound back?

I am no gear head, so I have no idea how the headers affect the sound, I am just confused on what I need to do.

Can I purchase the stock pipes from ford? Anyone know the part number if so? Do I gotta lose the headers?

I really appreciate the help!
I think the IMBOC reference area indicates our factory mufflers were made by ARVIN. They might have carried over to the MACH I in 2003-2004. Either way, they should be available via auto parts stores.

These are nice, quieter mufflers. I like them. I wouldn't hesitate to use them with your headers.

If you cant find a part number (if you have to you can cross-reference from the Ford part number maybe) you can always take the measurements off a factory BULLITT muffler and match it up in an ARVIN parts catalog.

Otherwise ... There are plenty of quiet mufflers out there.

·
Registered
264 Posts
There was a post yeaterday from someone who saw a complete Bullitt V8 motor for sale om ebay.
Maybe the seller has the complete exhaust system for sale as well!

·
Registered
301 Posts
seein this thread makes me feel dumb for leavin my entire factory exhuast at the mufflershop i had do my catback and midpipe.... In my opinion one of the cleanest deepest best sounding exhuast setups my car had was with bassani headers, bassani x, and the stock catback.. it sounded amazing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts