Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally wrote this post under the windnoise topic. It's a bit more broad, so I posted it here instead as a new topic:

Mine has windnoise from both sides (driver's and passenger). Whistling sound above 60MPH. I noticed water getting into the car after washing, so I took it in to get fixed (along with shift fork, rearend clunk, hissing/ticking, etc.).

The work order showed that a "sonic" test was done for the wind noise and that the problem was fixed. It was, for about a day, and then the sounds came back. My wife likes the noise, it reminds her of being a kid in a car on vacation...

BTW, the rearend clunk was fixed, and the car does shift better. No exhaust leaks were found.

Although my Bullitt has most of the minor problems posted on this site, I like the car a lot. In '99 I owned a C5 Corvette. It backfired (double-barrel shotgun loud), burned oil, had computer problems (the computer controlled suspension would "crash" and shut down, giving the car limited damping (full soft at freeway speed!), got 11MPG (when driven softly), and had other minor problems. It was in repair for over six weeks. They tried to fix the backfire problem 7 times. Even after geting the driver's side head off, and seeing horrible black carbonization and cylinder wall scoring, they would not admit that this condition was abnormal. They offered me a Geo-class rental car each time. I got a ride home to drive my Accord V6.

I went to BBB arbitration, told my story, and had GM repurchase the car, paying for all mods and repair attempts (I had put Redline in the trans and rear end, Corsa exhaust, paid for non-warranty engine checks to try to find the problems, etc.). Thus, I drove the C5 for "free", minus fuel, insurance, and headaches (and a considerable amount of wasted time). GM did fix the problem two years later (2001), with a new ring design (Navier-lipped rings to stop high-rpm light-load ring flutter).

Most of the Bullitt troubles listed here are more annoying than deal-breaking. This car is not a Lexus, and is priced reasonably given its performance envelope. I get far more compliments and questions about the Bullitt than I did with the C5. The Bullitt sounds better, and does not scrape on every steep driveway/hill. The Bullitt takes street corners just fine, and doesn't side step (skitter) as much on bumpy turns as the C5 did with its IRS (partly due to the C5's runflat tires).

I purchased my Bullitt after Ford went to 0% 0 down for 5 years. I needed a car immediately to replace my 95 Accord V6 (stock except for 14lb 17" semi-solid forged SSR Integral wheels, Koni shocks, Eibach springs). The Accord was stolen and returned the next day (to a different part of town). Stripped.

The only problem I had with the Accord was warped brake rotors, which were fixed immediately when new. I knew getting a Ford would involve more trips to the dealer but the price was right, and there is no other car available for this price that gives the same performance, sound, and looks. (Camaro/Firebird/WRX are comparable, and perhaps faster in some cases, but all look ugly for my taste).

After having owned a C5, I'm not all that motivated to mod the Bullitt (It will take major work to get to the C5 level of performance). The Bullitt is a fine daily driver. I'll consider a Z06 when I have the free time and cash...

I'll take the Bullitt to my mechanic friend (owns a Corvette performance shop), and have him listen to the various noises. If he finds anything, I'll post that info here.

In summary, I'm enjoying my Bullitt, warts and all. I bought the extended warranty, and am driving the car they way it was designed to be driven.

BTW, I write software for the XBox, and am working on a very accurate, physics-based driving simulator for the PC. The current test model is a C5-R. I'll be using the Bullitt's exhaust sound for sound effects (I don't have a C5-R handy for sound sampling :wink:.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Let me know when that software for XBox is release and what the name of it is. It will be fun to point out to some folks at work that it's a Bullitt's exhaust sound. :smile:

I can't comment too much on your problems as I must be the luckiest person on earth. My Bullitt has no ticks, whistles, cluncking or other assorted noises or problems (knocking on wood). It's only the second car I've ever owned that I didn't have to take back to the dealer in the first 3 months of use. It's going for a new record now!

Hope things work out for you.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Very cool

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey BullittMike,

Good to hear you have zero problems. Guess it's a matter of statistics and luck! Some people will get good ones, some get OK ones, some get bad ones... Hopefully everyone will get their Bullitts up to their level of expectation through warranty work.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrivingSimulators on 2001-12-27 18:04 ]</font>

·
Registered
237 Posts
My Bullitt, for the most part, has been just great however, I will be taking it in for another left headlight (staining), the first one built up condensation big time. Also, having the front hub assemblies replaced as they are leaking grease from the so called sealed bearings. Isn't there a TSB for these two things? Maybe I/we should suggest a TSB/Recall section for the board if it hasn't been done yet. :smile:

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks for your overview and comparisons with the C-5. I gave a lot of thought to owning a Vette this time around, but the Bullitt just revved me up like the cars I grew up with in the '70s.

My wife insisted that I get a four seater (a.k.a. 2+2) so the Vette drops off the short list.

I'm just so happy that someone was able to put into words the value and satisfaction that the Bullitt, with all its inherent problems, can deliver.

I really feel my Bullitt is a great value on the fun scale.

·
Registered
198 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-12-27 16:27, DrivingSimulators wrote:

BTW, the rearend clunk was fixed, and the car does shift better.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

what did they do to fix this?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RenegadeBullitt,

Mine leaks a little grease on the drivers side wheel. I'll have them take a look at it when I bring it in for its first oil change (and to try again on some other minor problems they missed the first time around). As long as it's not leaking brake fluid, I'm not worried too much. I've found a little grease on other cars' wheels I've owned, so it appears to be common.

01GTCOUPE,

Yeah, the Bullitt is a very fun ride. It's kindof a sleeper too (people see no wing and assume V6 :wink: ). A 275HP/295ft-lb Mercedes S430 learned about the Bullitt recently. Almost exactly the same power and torque as a stock Bullitt. Except for curb weight: 3273 vs 4133. After learning what a Bullitt was, he didn't try again...

The C5 is a great ride, but at $48-52K it's not twice as fun as a $26K Bullitt. And when the Bullitt is in the shop, they give a decent rental car allowance (better than Geo class).

fixer,

I read over the work order, and the rear-end clunk issue was grouped with the transmission overhaul for the shift fork. I'll ask what they did specifically when I take the Bullitt in for the oil change. The clunk has definitely been fixed. I made the point on my write up (I submit all work requests in writing to the dealer, and get everything back in writing) that the end result of the clunking would result in premature driveline wear (gears, joints, bearings).

·
Registered
586 Posts
DrivingSimulators, when you request from your dealer a written confirmation of what has been done, do they provide a written explanation in addition to the normal service receipt?

Also, do you also refuse to accept delivery of the repaired vehicle until these documents are prepared by the dealership?

I'm curious because I believe your approach in communicating with service personnel is excellent. And seriously wondering how to have warranty services provided without risking collateral damage to my vehicle.

Thanks for your reply. Your experience with the Vette looks like it was very educational.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Great discussion. I hope you get all of the issues resolved. I am also interested in the written reports from the dealer. Please post one if you can. So far #00353 has had only one problem, freon leaked out of air conditioner after three weeks, the delaer replaced o-rings and it has been fine since then. I wonder what percentage Bullitts are experiencing problems. There have been several polls on the ticking/piston-slap problems and on the clunking and shifting problems, but I have not seen the results posted. If thay have been could someone post a link here? Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
01GTCOUPE,

I submitted 16 items to be repaired in writing (first visit). However, the service advisor insisted on making me wait while he typed everything into the computer. My written request was entered into the record and stapled to all the paperwork at the dealer. They did not write on the written request as I had asked. So, I had their secretary photocopy the non-signed document and give it back to me. I was picking the car up on the weekend, and the service advisors were not around. When I return for the oil change, I'll show the service advisor the document, and ask him why it was not written on or signed (I asked for explanations, etc.).

These guys are really busy, so I'll have to be polite and patient and insist on them following my protocol (yes, there are legal reasons to why I approach the dealer this way).

In summary, always be extremely polite, never ever let them rile you up (because you'll lose), and imagine a judge is watching a videotape of your behavior (that should help you act appropriately, no matter what).

Always get everything in writing: before you leave your car and before you accept it when you return to pick it up.

If your are worried about collateral damage, do a walk around your car (inside and out) and have them sign a document that you prepared stating that the car has zero damage. When you pick up the car, do the walk around again. If there is a problem, get it verified in writing. That's why I always wash my car before dropping it off, and right after picking it up (even if you miss some damage at the time of pick up, you should carefully go over the car as soon as you can. If you find a problem, immediately call and/or fax the dealer about the problem).

If they work on your car, sh*t's going to happen. Accept it. If they damage the paint (the toughest thing to deal with), take it to the best place in town (for Porsches, Mercedes, etc.), and get an estimate from them, and force the dealer to have it repaired there (do not let the dealer try to fix it! They damaged your car; it's your option to have it repaired where you want (just like a normal collision in an accident). Dealer's always state how they have a great bodyshop, but so far I have found this not to be true (I'm sure there are exceptions). An independent third party expert is more likely to do a better job (although getting a good paint repair is just plain tough, even for Porsche and Mercedes owners).

I pointed out paint flaws and some white sprayed on wax-like residue (got this in writing), and the dealer (salesman) told me they would only make it worse. So I told them I'd have it repaired elsewhere (and I'll bill them for it as well).

PEO'R,

I could certainly scan the dealer service order, but it's generally cryptic and does not say anything extraordinary. I can post an example document showing what I submit to the dealer in writing.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DrivingSimulators on 2001-12-28 14:23 ]</font>

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just took the Bullitt in to have looked at by an expert third party mechanic. He noticed that the transmission was leaking fluid in many locations, and advised me to take it back to the dealer to have them fix it before replacing the fluid with Redline. His point was that they may blame the Redline for the leaks, and it would be a waste of money as the transmission would have to be taken apart and reassembled to fix the leaks. This will be attempt number two to fix the transmission (they get a total of four tries).

No big deal. Perhaps I'll upgrade the rental car to a big caddy or a nice Infiniti (Enterprise has a good selection). I guess I'll take it in early for that first oil change.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks DrivingSimulators. I think your suggestions for dealing with shops is dead on. My son (age 20, he drives the Stealth) is really into driving simulators and wants to know when your's s ready. Be sure to post the name here when we can buy it.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thanks yet again, DrivingSimulators. Your approach seems dead on to what I would expect your experience to be.

I really, really liked the idea of behaving as if a judge was monitoring the entire dealer encounter. It is tantamount to remain calm and collected. Politeness should help.

An attorney I know once said that, "It's easier to catch bees with honey."

You can still spray them with insecticide when they're feeding, however!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts