Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace my calipers and I want to purchase the original syle red calipers with the etched pony. Does anyone know where I can get them?
I checked into just replacing the pads but this isn't possible and still get a warranty because I have been told that the original calipers on my car cannot be rebuilt.
So, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
Why are they telling you that the calipers can not be rebuilt? A rebuild is usually a new "O" ring around the piston and a light cleaning of the cylinder with a brake hone.

Sometimes when you push the pistons back in, IF there is a ring of brake fluid that has formed and then the cylinder does not want to release after being depressed. Unless that is happening I would not rebuild mine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clarification

I took my car in to have the brakes checked for wear. The back are fine but I was told that the front on both sides was getting thin (less than half) but not an ASAP situation. I asked if the pads could just be changed and I was told that their policy for a 25,000 mile warranty was to replace the calipers along with the pads.
Of course they don't carry the special appearance calipers (red with etched pony).
The tech person said that the lower portion of the right front pad was a bit thinner then the upper half indicating to him that there was a piston problem, however there wasn't any observable fluid leak or stain. I want to keep the appearance package calipers on the car. Maybe take the car to another source?
I'm a driver not a mechanic so replacing them myself is out of the question. I did find a few sources on the internet that sell the calipers. Ranging from 410.00 to 440.00, just calipers and not the conversion kit. I thing they would work since I have all the original lines and brackets. Any opinions on this?

·
Premium Member
4,122 Posts
I would check around and if you don't trust the brake shopes, many will take advantage of you, see if you can find a performance shop that does breaks. If you found the calipers for $400 imagine what the dealer would want for them.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
i would get another opion myself. It sounds like they want to change it for just warrenty reason. look for another shop. or have the brake system inspected at a ford dealership.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
JJZ109FAN said:
I took my car in to have the brakes checked for wear. The back are fine but I was told that the front on both sides was getting thin (less than half) but not an ASAP situation. I asked if the pads could just be changed and I was told that their policy for a 25,000 mile warranty was to replace the calipers along with the pads.
Of course they don't carry the special appearance calipers (red with etched pony).
The tech person said that the lower portion of the right front pad was a bit thinner then the upper half indicating to him that there was a piston problem, however there wasn't any observable fluid leak or stain. I want to keep the appearance package calipers on the car. Maybe take the car to another source?
I'm a driver not a mechanic so replacing them myself is out of the question. I did find a few sources on the internet that sell the calipers. Ranging from 410.00 to 440.00, just calipers and not the conversion kit. I thing they would work since I have all the original lines and brackets. Any opinions on this?
Sounds like your dealing with Les Schwab- they maybe OK for ordinary people with ordinary cars but I wouldn't recommend doing ANY business with them especialy with this kind of vehicle.. HURRY run now and find yourself another brake shop or bring it to my house and I'll order and install new PBR factory replacement pads for you..

Here is a great source for PADS- http://shosource.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=6&products_id=104

Good luck-

=-=-=-=-=-=-

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
JJZ109FAN said:
They're trying to rip you off. I wouldn't even go back to them, as MLC#388 said - a rebuild is just an O-ring and a seal. The uneven wear is most-likely due to a pin or bushing/guiderail problem, NOT a piston problem - crud builds up over the miles and it needs cleaned and re-lubricated with hi-temp silicone grease. It might need rebuilt, but I doubt it. A typical caliper rebuild kit is about $4.00 per side.

Hell, if you can change a tire, you can change brake pads. All you need is a couple of inexpensive hand tools like sockets and ratchets, a small brass-bristle wire brush, some brake parts cleaner, a couple of those $1.00 packets of silicone brake grease from up at the counter of your local parts store, some rags, a quart of new brake fluid, and the new brake pads.

I could just-about walk you through it over the phone, I'd bet.

·
Registered
771 Posts
3687 sits with Rebuilt calipers, front and rear.

Since I'm sitting in Myrtle Beach, I don't have my parts list cheat sheet..

But they can be rebuilt. I have PROOF! :)

Take it to another shop though. Or find a shop that would be willing to rebuild them, that in it's own might be a challenge.

Crooked/weird wear could be indicative of any kind of normal or abnormal wear. Forget them and stop somewhere else.

·
Registered
286 Posts
JJZ109FAN said:
how the pads wore thin at the top and thicker at the bottom could be because the last time they did it they didnt lube the slides or you could have a caliper that is sticking. i wouldnt rebuild them. they are saying you need calipers to cover themselfs so you dont go back again in 15k with the same pad wear and say well why didnt you tell me there was something wrong last time. why did you take it to get checked in the first place? do you take your car there alot? how many miles do you have on it and how many times have you flushed the brake fluid

·
Registered
286 Posts
JC2954 said:
They're trying to rip you off. I wouldn't even go back to them, as MLC#388 said - a rebuild is just an O-ring and a seal. The uneven wear is most-likely due to a pin or bushing/guiderail problem, NOT a piston problem - crud builds up over the miles and it needs cleaned and re-lubricated with hi-temp silicone grease. It might need rebuilt, but I doubt it. A typical caliper rebuild kit is about $4.00 per side.

Hell, if you can change a tire, you can change brake pads. All you need is a couple of inexpensive hand tools like sockets and ratchets, a small brass-bristle wire brush, some brake parts cleaner, a couple of those $1.00 packets of silicone brake grease from up at the counter of your local parts store, some rags, a quart of new brake fluid, and the new brake pads.

I could just-about walk you through it over the phone, I'd bet.
idk if id say there tryin to rip him off... there is a squar cut seal around each piston. one tears and binds up and that will cause one side to be lower. if you compress it both would most likely go in and then if you press on the brake most likly both would push out. its not enough to where you can notice it by eye.... there is something going on inside the caliper or with the slides and its not cost effective for a shop to rebuild calipers. if you were to come to my work with a rebuild kit for your calipers and say you want them rebuild u would probly would not like the estimate you woudl get for the labor... if they were ripping him off i dont think they would tell him he has 1/2 life left on them and its not something that needs to be done asap... just my .02. o and do hoses and flush the fluid when you have it done...
jeff

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
jeffs89gt said:
idk if id say there tryin to rip him off... there is a squar cut seal around each piston. one tears and binds up and that will cause one side to be lower. if you compress it both would most likely go in and then if you press on the brake most likly both would push out. its not enough to where you can notice it by eye.... there is something going on inside the caliper or with the slides and its not cost effective for a shop to rebuild calipers. if you were to come to my work with a rebuild kit for your calipers and say you want them rebuild u would probly would not like the estimate you woudl get for the labor... if they were ripping him off i dont think they would tell him he has 1/2 life left on them and its not something that needs to be done asap... just my .02. o and do hoses and flush the fluid when you have it done...
jeff
Perhaps "ripping him off" was a bit harsh of a way to put it. I should have said "They're attempting to get you to spend money unnecessarily".

I've rebuilt many calipers - it's a fairly simple and straightforward procedure. As I'm somewhat anal about cleanliness on reassembly, I take longer cleaning than I probably should. But, it doesn't take that long to rebuild a caliper, especially if it's fairly clean externally already.

As to the seal configuration - I don't know what the '01 Bullitt calipers use, but construction differs according to what the manufacturer feels is most cost-effective for that application. Some use a round O-ring as the "piston-seal", with a square-section ring for the "dust seal", some use a "bellows" type dust seal, some use a "lip seal", some are twin O-rings.........

It usually takes longer to bleed the brakes afterward than it takes to clean and rebuild the caliper. Unless you've got slider-pin bushings to press-out and replace.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
yep, they're just trying to rip you off for more money. do as everyone has said, find a reputable shop or if you have a reputable stealership (sounds contradictory) (is there really such a thing :))and get it rebuilt, if in fact it really needs it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
if it was me i wouldnt worry about it unless its over a mm or 2 difference. both sides probly look like that. most ford twin piston calipers do that

·
Registered
15 Posts
Here's a thought

A lot of people have been complaining about a strange "squeek" that comes from the front wheels during normal driving, almost like a chirp of a cricket. I have this problem myself. I think I may have tracked down the problem with this thread, as investigating the actual pad to rotor space showed me that it was touching! Now, from my spidey senses, this probably is why its always squeeking (I believe) and the easiest reason I can come up with is that my caliper is stuck in on the rotor. The left front is definately not an issue I don't think, but the right pad even looks a little bit chewed up at the top where I can visibly see it. I've never worked on calipers, but I know how to change my own pads. I actually work on aircraft so being able to work on my cars isn't an issue, and identifying problems is my job. You guys think maybe some tools, brake parts cleaner and grease and 45 minutes should get this caliper unstuck? I WAS going to just replace the rotors, thinking they were warped, but now I think its the caliper itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wha???

Bullitt 736 said:
The chirp you get may be that the end of each brake pad that sits in the caliper bracket is not well lubed or the spring clip is week. Whenever I have the wheels off. I generally pop the caliper out and lube the ends of the pads.
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, wouldn't "lubing" up the pads make the stopping power go down horribly? I'm sure you can't mean this.
-edit-
I think maybe I figured out what you mean. I seem to recall a spring that sits in there (at least on my old neon) that pushes the brake pad out a little bit and a "v" looking clip that held the pad on. Are you staying lube up those holes where the clip goes in? I JUST purchased this car and still haven't started tearing it apart really, just going through and trying to fix all the little problems it has. I haven't looked at the calipers on this one yet, or how the brake pads fit on.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts