Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fiance & I were coming back from a friend's house Saturday night & I took a sharp turn at about 40 mph, which turned out to be a bit too fast. Well, without the traction control on, the car started sashaying back & forth down the road; felt just like driving an older rear-wheel drive. Thankfully, I have plenty of experience with this & I was able to regain control without spinning the car. I thought it was pretty cool but my fiance wasn't too happy. At any rate, that's the second time I've gotten the back-end going side-to-side. Even though the 4.6L isn't a big motor, there's plenty of power to shake the car loose.

·
Registered
451 Posts
This has had me nervous since I picked the car up. With my old T'bird (95 4.6l LX -- Sorely missed.), I knew pretty well where the limits of traction were, and could hang the rear out a bit and bring it back pretty much on demand. That car broke free pretty mildly when it did, more drifting around than any distinct break. I have this feeling that the Bullitt will give less warning before it breaks free. Was it predictible and gradual or sudden and unexpected? I've honestly held back in corners from even what I would have done in the T'bird because of this. Also, the Tbird had IRS. Does this change the characteristics of how the rear end will come loose in any perceptible way? It was just something I never worried about with the Thunderbird, and for whatever reason I worry about it quite a bit with the Mustang.

Thanks for any input! Lucky you had the control you had!

Joe

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both times the rear-end has broke free were very abrupt. However, because I was turning & had my foot on the gas, it's not totally unexpected. Like I said, it just reminds me of driving some of my older cars. I'd bet even money, the Bullitt's no better in the snow than my 85 GT. That thing is sooooo loose in the rear. But as long as you don't oversteer or hammer the brakes, you can usually pull out of those kinds of shimmy's.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts