Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else have a problem with this scenario. Why should they get a beefier motor than the Bullitt? And a 8.8in. Live Axle Rearend to boot. I thought the idea was to keep the performance level between a GT and a Cobra. If this motor makes it to the production version of the Mach I, I will be dissapointed.

Any thoughts as to what the Boss 302 will get (I am figuring a 5.0L) I wonder if they will top the 300hp they are flaunting the Mach I will have.

The only soution I see is to buy all three :wink:
Now if I could just pick the right six numbers...

Joe Schwartz
DHG #00238

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
It would shock me if it got a DOHC engine. They tend to announce things and then change them at production time. If it does, I don't think it will be the Cobra version. Cobra is the flagship, they can't upstage it. If they built this car with that engine that would certainly happen. They would have to price it through the roof to keep sales down, otherwise no one would buy the Cobra.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent points - I hope you are right!

Joe Schwartz
DHG #00238

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but from what i've been reading, it's gonna have the cobra motor in it. Let's hope not.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Don't we have an 8.8 inch live axle?

Joe

·
Registered
96 Posts
There has been alot of discussion about this. Apparently the Mach 1 will get the 4.6L/4V Maurader engine. It's rated at 300hp.

I believe this engine already lives in the Lincoln fleet.

The 8.8 live axel, is the same as the Bullitt, and the standard GT. The Cobra runs the IRS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BlastofaBullitt on 2001-09-06 08:52 ]</font>

·
Registered
225 Posts
The Boss 302 is suspose to geta stroke 4.6l to a 302ci.I belive I read that it is to be the 4v engine,and all of the special cars are to get the 4v 4.6l.Someone on this site posted that we have the last moded 4.6L2v that Ford plans to use.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well you know what gets me ! Is the fact that Ford flaunted the Bullitt with all the nice upgrades like the 3 spoke steering wheel, 300 horsepower, the rear deck lip. 68 ac vents, 68 seats nice honeycomb inserts for where the fog lights went. And then when it came to production dropped evry one of those items! I think all they wanted to do was bait us, catch us, and then come up with all the excuses in the world why this or that couldnt make it to production! Hell it made it on there car at the shows! So dont believe all u are hearing about the Mach 1 . Because if they cant guarantee me
in writing what is going to be on a team mustang car before production then i dont want it! Just like the so called prototype Bullitt! Ford knew exactly what they were going to put into our cars before we ever ordered one! And as for me my order was based on the belief that it would be like the one at the show! And as can be seen it obviously is not! That is the problem of ordering one sight unseen u are at the mercy of Ford or whoever decides what we will or will not get! Dont get me wrong I love my car ,But from the paint problems, the headlens problems, the transmission problems,
the trim fitting problems and now my damn driver window motor went out too at only
3000 miles! I dont think Ill be buying another Ford for a long time because no matter how we try to down play the problems with these cars I know that Quality is not JOB 1!!! All you have to do is justlook at all the posts in the mechanical section and see what i am talking about! As for me 28,000 dollars is a lot of money and i would expect better! Thanx Havgun #1676 Oh and lets not forget that priceless sticker !

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Havgunwiltrav on 2001-09-06 09:21 ]</font>

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why would the DOHC cobra motor be such a big surprise to you guys? THe corvette is GM's flagship car, the corvette, camaro, and trans all share the LS1. SS i believe is rated at 330hp, corvette at 350hp. That would give the mach and cobra the same difference in hp(20hp). A way ford could do this is dump all of their 99built cobra engines into the mach. Just my .02
I personally would be pissed if the mach does get the DOHC, meaning i would most likely buy the damn thing

·
Registered
444 Posts
True, that the LS1 is in the SS, WS6, and the 'Vette, but even though the Hp difference is 20 Hp the Vette has the advantage of being lighter.

If the Mach 1 gets the 4V motor I'll be a bit dissapointed but at the same time happy that Ford is injecting more power into the Mustang. In reality the car will probably get the 2V motor just for cost. And if it does come with the 4V then I better start saving now.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Blueovalnews.com has some internal Ford docs about their future engine plans. The Mach 1 motor is not listed, but the GT and the Cobra are all headed North in horsepower. Fact of life, the new models will go faster.

The big advantage of the Bullitt is that it looks like a car bought by adults. No big wings, no chrome wheels, no tape stripes. Let's appreciate what we have.

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
Blast is right, it's the Lincoln 4v, not the Cobra. That way it will fall between the GT and the Cobra. All of these "changes" to make a bigger and better Mustang isn't new. Look back to 69, they cam out with the BOSS 302 then there was the 429. A technology gets better on these engines it is inevitable that the newer cars will be more powerful. Am I happy about it? No. But what can I do except buiild a big garage and continue to go into debt every 5 yrs!!! LOL
Cam

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
The Bullitt's been nice but perhaps I should just get rid of it in a couple of years and go for the Mach 1. That is unless as many have said it turns out to be a big disapointment too.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-09-06 13:01, DHG #1302 wrote:
The Bullitt's been nice but perhaps I should just get rid of it in a couple of years and go for the Mach 1. That is unless as many have said it turns out to be a big disapointment too.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

SPLITER! (said with an outrageous English accent) :smile:

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd rather just add the MACH 1 and the BOSS 302 to the stable than dump the Bullitt! After all, the Bullitt started this nostalgia muscle car thing.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
I fail to see what the "allure" is of the DOHC engine. It's got twice as much valvetrain equiment to break. It's twice as much money to fix and replace if it does fail. It's more expensive to do "engine" mods. etc..
Let them have the DOHC in the Mach. If I really wanted the DOHC I would have bought a Cobra in the first place. I wanted a Bullitt. And that's exactly what I got.
Actually I think the Mach crowd is going to get even more crap from the Cobra crowd than we did. Not only are they paying damn near Cobra prices but they're getting a castrated version of the Cobra motor to boot. A fake (poser) Cobra.. I can hear it now..
I think the Mach should follow in the footsteps started by the Bullitt. Make a special Edition Mustang that sits just ahead of the GT but not ahead of the Cobra. And is afordable to the mass of Mustang owners.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I saw the pics of the Mach1 show car.
The Bullitt is way cooler - no buyer's remorse from this cat!
If you are going to get your panties in a bunch everytime Ford comes out with a faster Mustang - you are in for a long and painful life. I think the Mustang should get faster, more powerful and better handling every year! Otherwise you have a bunch of overpaid development engineers with boring jobs. You can always trade up. As for me, the Bullitt is the bee's knees and I plan to keep it forever. The closer these so called specialty cars get to the Cobra, the more of them they will sell. The Bullitt came along and surprised everyone, I think the models to follow will likely sell a lot more copies. Read: the Bullitt will be the most collectible. Cool with me, baby!

Lighten up, dudes - everyone will always have Bullitt envy!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well said Blackwing! Everytime I read complaints about the Bullitt's lack of IRS or a DOHC/4v engine, I think, "why did you buy a Bullitt?" It's not like engine and rear-end configurations were a secret. Yeah, more horsepower would have been nice, but hey, I knew exactly what I was getting and I'm very happy with my car. Ford can build a super-duper Mach 20 with NOS, supercharger, IRS or whatever in pumpkin orange with a big-ass bookshelf wing on the back to boot and I'll still take my Bullitt!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, I agree with the both of you. I love my Bullitt. I had many choices when I went a bought a car. I could have gone for horsepower (i.e... the Cobra or the Camaro SS) or I could have gone for a tamer combo in the GT or Z-28, but I went with the Bullitt because it was a special edition, had more power than the GT but cost less than the Cobra (under $30,000). As I began to learn more about the car, I got totally hooked. I love what Ford is doing with these special editions. Do I like the Mach 1?

You bet I do. In fact, I am trying to figure out a way to get one more muscle car into my stable. The Mach 1 is definitely something I have been thinking about. Especially, if it shares some of the Bullitt parts. I like the unique look, shaker hood, 4V 4.6L putting out 300 hp, Bullitt suspension and stance, unique Mach 1 interior design.

Even if I don't get one, no matter, because I have the Bullitt.

Mike
DHG #3463
San Ramon, CA.

·
Registered
451 Posts
As I said in another thread, I love my Bullitt so much, that everyone around me is either repulsed by it or hurt by it!

What I may not have said is that this is hands down the most incredible piece of machinery I have ever ridden in, let alone owned. I am fully aware that by every quantifiable standard, there are "better" cars out there. I need nothing more potent than this, ever. This doesn't mean I won't ever mod it. But my mods will be subtle, and enhancing. In no way will they eclipse or detract from what was originally created.

Joe

1 - 20 of 33 Posts