Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately,when I don't use the Bullitt for a week or so,when I go to start it,it won't idle at all. It will cut off right after it fires. So,I give the IAC,a couple of taps,try starting the engine and after 3 more times,it will idle as normal.
Is it the IAC motor just being sticky,can it be cleaned,or is the motor just getting tired,needing replacement?
These things aren't cheap,best dealer price being $120.00! NAPA was $130.
Funny,how my old 1995 F-250 keeps on running fine,after 90,000 miles,with it's original everything!
0503 only has 17,000 miles.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Pull that baby off and clean it with carb cleaner of brake cleaner. Be generous with the cleaner, may help.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
I just finished cleaning mine with carb cleaner......my car was doing about the same thing...i dont know if buying a new valve will solve the prob

·
Registered
387 Posts
Mus408 said:
Funny,how my old 1995 F-250 keeps on running fine,after 90,000 miles,with it's original everything!
0503 only has 17,000 miles.
Cars love to be used. It is when they don't get used things stick/seize as in your case, thats why i'd rather have a average mileage car than a low one.

As recommended, try cleaning it out first, its a much cheaper alternative.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
They are not expensive at all (in my opinion). Cleaning the one on 2180 helped for about 2 weeks then it came back. I bought a new one no problems since that was about 13,000 miles ago or so.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm thinking now.... When the engine is off,is the IAC valve in the completely close position? So when you start the engine,it opens to a set value? When the throttle is opened,does the IAC close or stay at the same hot idle position?
What I'm thinking is would a fixed,manual type idle orifice work? Think about those idle restrictors that limit the air flow for a quicker responding idle.

·
Registered
922 Posts
My GT had the same problem last year. I tried cleaning it, but it only helped for a about a week. I ended up replacing the IAC altogether.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
andy-kitt said:
Cars love to be used. It is when they don't get used things stick/seize as in your case, thats why i'd rather have a average mileage car than a low one.

As recommended, try cleaning it out first, its a much cheaper alternative.
I'll second that! They are meant to be driven, especially with all the gizmos and gadgets on them that make them work right to begin with. Every low mileage used car I have ever bought has been a a PITA for the first year or so. The Bullitt has been no exception.:eek: :rolleyes:

My 1994 F-150 with the 300 cid six has not had any issues save a radius rod bushing in the front suspension wore out prematurelly, and the A/C compressor clutch failed at 150K miles. Then again, the six was a commercial application engine.:wink:

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I drive my Mustangs,but they haven't been daily drivers. I do run them at the track,once in awhile. However I try to keep the miles low,since there are no other new factory hot rods,in my future. What I have is it! Can't afford no more new car payments,on my limited income.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.