Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after owning my bullitt for less than a year i am now considering swapping to a 03 04 cobra... The 4 valve the blower the six speed, and the looks just are so sweet. What should i do? I know i could make my bullitt look and perform just as well as a cobra... but for what price? Help me out here.
Another question how the heck do i get a pic of my car on here? do i have to pay?

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Hi Chris,

You do have to pay to be a Supporting Member to upload pics to this site, but you can link to pics posted elsewhere.

For the price difference between an '01 Bullitt and an '03/'04 Cobra, you could do a lot of mods and be right up there with the Cobras, while keeping the Bullitt coolness. Go for it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm adding an '04 Terminator to the garage here soon.....

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Pay the $37. Well worth the price of admission, plus you get some cool things in the mail. Become a Supporting Member by clicking on the word "How" above and soon you will have more fun and access more threads than you do now! Stop hanging around the fringes outside, come on in!

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
03/04 Cobra or Bullitt--If I find a nice 03/04 Cobra convert. the Bullitt is history fast.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Trade. If the deal is right. The cobra block can handle a ton more power then the Bullitt short block, and the cobra has more room to grow if moding is your thing. IRS does suck tho.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Depends. Do you want the looks and road handling of the Bullitt or the power of the Cobra? I personally don't care how fast the car is. The looks and the exclusivity of the Bullitt plus the great group of people here are what makes the difference to me.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Spend about $2500.00 on the Cobra and have 440 hp at the rear wheels. As far as looks I like the Cobra

·
Registered
565 Posts
For me, value is the name of the game. I was able to find a real nice Bullitt for 12,000 with 30k miles on it. Not a chance of finding even a 'decent' Cobra for that price.

I've never owned a Cobra, but if money made no difference, I'd still get the Bullitt and then mod it until I could outrun a stock Cobra. Would still be cheaper too.

Of course, the Cobra has a higher 'limit' of power but if the car is a daily driver (like yours) then I'd rather get 18 mpg @ 325 hp than 10 mpg @ 400 hp.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
folky15 said:
For me, value is the name of the game. I was able to find a real nice Bullitt for 12,000 with 30k miles on it. Not a chance of finding even a 'decent' Cobra for that price.

I've never owned a Cobra, but if money made no difference, I'd still get the Bullitt and then mod it until I could outrun a stock Cobra. Would still be cheaper too.

Of course, the Cobra has a higher 'limit' of power but if the car is a daily driver (like yours) then I'd rather get 18 mpg @ 325 hp than 10 mpg @ 400 hp.
+1

And the Bullitt will be cheaper on insurance. A friend of mine's Aunt bought an 03 Cobra and says it gets like 12 mpg but it makes over 500hp to the wheels, so whichever is more important to ya.

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
Thanks for the links Droopy, I am going to be very selective about a Cobra, when I see the right one I will know. Also going to have to be in very good condition, like my Bullitt. I am in no hurry and have a couple people looking, if it takes a week or a number of years, I am willing to wait.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
I hate to say this. But if I had known the 03 Cobra was really coming from the factory packing a 390hp "built" engine, with power to spare, I would have waited and bought one instead. And if I had not been so dirt-poor during that period of time, I would have bought one anyway. But when it comes to giving up the Bullitt to buy one...I'll pass. The car means too much to me to sell for another the car that I'd like to have. I'm not big on buying used vehicles so I may never end up buying an 03/04 Cobra. But if the planets are all in perfect alignment and I find that car, who knows.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Having had a Bullitt, and now owning an '03 Cobra... I like my Cobra better. I loved the look of the Bullitt (and still do). But, the power of the Cobra is amazing. With a simple pulley swap, cat back exhaust, and a tune.. I'm putting down 450rwhp and 461 tq. If my Bullitt had come with the '03 Cobra motor I would have kept it forever.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I was going over this exact scenario in my head tonight while driving home from school. My solution... I'm waiting until I have money to play with (along time from now) Then I'll add a cobra to my stable and mod it. If I wait, I'll avoid huge insurance costs (I'm 21) and the price of cobra will go down, seeing as they go for around 27-30k right now for a nice one. Plus the Bullitt is just tooooo damn cool to give up.. EVER!
Anyways good luck on your decision, either way you'll have a really cool car.
Steve

·
Registered
87 Posts
folky15 said:

I agree. I had the same Bullitt/Cobra/Mach 1 delema before I bought the Bullitt. I am very happy with a Vortech Bullitt. Awesome power, less money, better looks, better suspension, the best of all worlds.

·
Registered
270 Posts
of corse most of us want the terminator for the power but i know when i went to mustang week last year it was awesome being one of the only few bullitts there. I saw 3 at the cruise in but about 40 03/04 cobras...that was cool to me

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
There are a couple miss conceptions going on here. First off, I'm not bias towards my cobra vs my bullitt. I love/loved by Bullitt, and it still makes me sad when I see it driving around the neighborhood and I'm not behind the wheel of it. I truly did love that car. However, there are some things to get straight:

Looks: Its an opinion thing. I love the hood and rear of the Cobra. I loved the bullitts side scoops and lack of a wing.

Power: The cobra on a stock pulley and stock engine makes more power/the same power as a blown 2v. To make more power then cobra, your going to need to go to a forged set up. And that cost will run you right up to around the cost of a stock cobra. At this point, if you throw just a little bit of money at the cobra (pulley, tune, intake), it will again be in the lead. Or, go overboard, throw a turbo kit like helions kit on it/screw set up and you are looking at a set up that will kill most everything on the road, and still be on the stock block/stock tranny.
So, if you are looking for power, at some point, the cobra probably will be the more cost effective starting point due to the strength of the tranny, and block. Theres a reason you see so many people going to cobra block/rotating assembly as starting points for projects.

Interior: Bullitt has better seats. Look and feel better. Nuf said.

suspension: The Bullitt is lower, and feels lighter (duh, it is lighter!) On rough pavement, the cobra is much more comfortable. At the limits, I dont really know which car would be better, as I havent had the chance to push the Cobra there yet. My gut feeling is that the IRS is a little more stable then the solid rear at the limit. From a stand still, the Bullitts rear was much better, due to the lack of wheel hop.

Gas millage: Both will be poor if you romp on it. The cobra will be slightly worse again if you romp on it. However, if you drive the Cobra with some reserve, you can get good millage, and having a 6th gear overdrive helps. I dont get 10 mpg in the cobra. Id say more like 15-18. I used to get 20 in the Bullitt.

Conclusion: The Bullitt definitly has an "ora" or whatever you want to call it around it. Its a car I love, and miss. Its rare. It handles great, and has a strong motor. It has an amazing following and personality that is unreplaceable. The Cobra is faster, has more potential, and is percieved by many to be the top notch mustang. So, to anyone trying to decide between the cobra and a Bullitt, think about what you want from the car. If you want allot of power, a more sophisticated rear end set up, a solid drivetrain, and the ability to beat out most cars on the street, go for a cobra. If you want a great riding car, with good power, and a strong personilty, then stay with your Bullitt. You can always make a Bullitt faster, it is just that much harder when you are starting by a set up that is somewhat hindered. (tranny, non-forged internals, 2v heads). To me, the Cobra almost feels "cold" after having the Bullitt for so long. The power though is addicting.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would spend a few bucks on the Bullitt, to increase the power if that is what you need. The Cobra's are nice alright...... but I like the Bullitt. I almost traded in my Bullitt for a new '04 10th Anniv. Cobra but came to my senses in time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts