Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have arranged for Mike Farrell (JcodeBullitt) to be the "host" of this forum to answer 68 replica questions and to help other owners that would like to build a Bullitt movie car. Mike's car and bio can be seen in the 67/68 Bullitt Replica registry.

Thanks Mike!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
67/68 movie replica advisor

Even though my car is by no means a "perfect" replica, thank you :surprised IMBOC for the opportunity to serve!

·
Registered
561 Posts
i simply want to know if the back panel was painted in the movie..and..was it flat or satin finish paint..thanx...

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hello Crow,

This "detail" has been the subject of great debate. However, with the advent of modern DVD/HD/LCD tech, along with still photos from other sources, I have opined that the rear panel, tailight bezels, and the GT gas cap bezel were painted a satin black. In coming to this opinion, I defer to the DVD. By utilizing the DVD machine's freeze frame function right at the point in the chase when the camera is closest to the rear of the Mustang(Just before the finale), you can detect the contrast in color from Highland Green and the black. Then by increasing both the contrast and brightness on the television, the black becomes even more evident. Furthermore, you will be able to detect how the rear valance was altered (GT exhaust cutouts filled in).

Mike

·
Registered
561 Posts
sorry for the delay..thanx for the rsponse..my wife got me the franklin mimnt model and it is black on it too...we dont have a chrome strip to surround the tail like the 68, and i am concerned of the paint lip or edge that may be presant along the top of the paint..big decisions...

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mike,
just the 1st of many question.
What type of steering wheel was use on the movie car? It doesn’t look like it has the large 68 horn button. And is there a good repro of it??
Thank You!

Pat

·
Registered
156 Posts
Pat,

It was a 1967, Shelby GT500, wooden, custom leather-wrapped, steering wheel. A reproduction of this wheel was supposed have been available from Tony Branda Shelby & Mustang Parts. However, I have not seen a leather-wrapped wheel on their website recently. Let me do some checking around, and I'll get back to you.

Mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Update: According to the Branda Website, the repro 67 Shelby Wooden Steering Wheel is on indefinite back order. I'll keep my eyes open for you on Ebay. Every once in a while, a reproduction 67 Shelby wooden steering wheel comes up for auction. A word to the wise...This item is not going to be cheap, even as a reproduction...And forget about finding a REAL or NOS 67 Shelby Wheel, let alone paying for it, unless you won the lottery!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mike,

Thanks for the quick responce! Sound like my son & I will have to look for something close.
Thank You!

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
JcodeBullitt said:
Pat,

It was a 1967, Shelby GT500, wooden, custom leather-wrapped, steering wheel.~~~
I thought it was a cheapo Grant steering wheel on the movie cars:confused:

·
Lifetime Supporting Member
37,477 Posts
Droopy said:
Nope a Shelby wheel. Is impossible to find. They started reproducing them at 3,000 for a reproduction and they are still on back order...
They are available, on a first come-first serve basis, for a limited time, here in Cleveland at "Midnight Auto Parts." The first 500 orders get a special "Five-Finger Discount," so I hear.

This is the guy to contact...

:eek:

·
37,477 Posts
Kidding aside, I have a question for you, Mike. How does someone get the actual paint color "Highland Green" and what is the correct code? I found DITZLER #43644 and posted this on another thread. I hope I was right. Obviously, McQueen's movie car was not the modern PX or PY, with all the metal flake/ clearcoat and seems to be a slightly lighter shade of green.

Thank you!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Jim!

It depends on the EPA regulations enforced in each State. Here in California, all automotive paint has to be water based. This made the traditional paint codes in CA somewhat obsolete. However, I was able to obtain an updated Paint Code for 1968 HG from DuPont Performance Coatings. In fact, they provided me with the exact mixing formula for the paint. The new paint code for 1968 HG, DuPont CP Cromax Pro is: 682792. If you need additional info, please let me know.

Mike

BTW...The Ditzler paint code you provided in your earlier post was correct. Again, the old paint codes could still be valid, if the State in question allows for the application of VOC based finishes.

·
37,477 Posts
JcodeBullitt said:
Hi Jim!

It depends on the EPA regulations enforced in each State. Here in California, all automotive paint has to be water based. This made the traditional paint codes in CA somewhat obsolete. However, I was able to obtain an updated Paint Code for 1968 HG from DuPont Performance Coatings. In fact, they provided me with the exact mixing formula for the paint. The new paint code for 1968 HG, DuPont CP Cromax Pro is: 682792. If you need additional info, please let me know.

Mike

BTW...The Ditzler paint code you provided in your earlier post was correct. Again, the old paint codes could still be valid, if the State in question allows for the application of VOC based finishes.
Thanks, Mike! Very good into.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mike,
Another question, it looks like the movie car has a round mirror that is painted not chrome. What mirror did they use, is it another Shelby part? Also it looks like they removed the antenna?
Thank You for any help!
Pat

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi Pat,

The origin and make of the movie car mirror has been, and remains a mystery. But in my opinion, it's not a 65/66 Mustang mirror. Most likely, it was an aftermarket or a mirror (painted HG) Max Balchowsky had lying around the shop when he prepared the cars for filming. Check out Ebay or the local swap meets, you may be able to find a round mirror that looks similar.

Roger on the antenna. It appears the movie crew mounted a base with a broken mast on the right rear quarter panel. However, when the car was sold to the WB employee (after filming), the stock antenna was re-mounted at the stock location on the right front fender (Ref: Mustang Enthusiast Magazine, April 2010).

PS...your work on your car is OUTSTANDING:exclaim:

Mike

·
Registered
678 Posts
JcodeBullitt said:
Hi Pat,

The origin and make of the movie car mirror has been, and remains a mystery. But in my opinion, it's not a 65/66 Mustang mirror. Most likely, it was an aftermarket or a mirror (painted HG) Max Balchowsky had lying around the shop when he prepared the cars for filming. Check out Ebay or the local swap meets, you may be able to find a round mirror that looks similar.

Roger on the antenna. It appears the movie crew mounted a base with a broken mast on the right rear quarter panel. However, when the car was sold to the WB employee (after filming), the stock antenna was re-mounted at the stock location on the right front fender (Ref: Mustang Enthusiast Magazine, April 2010).

PS...your work on your car is OUTSTANDING:exclaim:

Mike

Mike,

I was thinking the 65/66 round mirror looked close but not quite right, but it may be the only option. Thanks for the info!

Pat

1 - 20 of 26 Posts