Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has come up before but the search forum feature didn't pop up any obvious results.

I want to install the FR3 Handling pack but in the same instance I dont want to remove the Bullitt strut tower brace for obvious reasons. Would leaving the factory STB on versus using the one that comes with the kit make a noticeable difference with the kit's handling increase? I assume a bar tying the struts together is a bar tying the struts together and this is an opportunity to save a bit of cash on the kit by selling off the Ford Racing STB.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I heard the braces are the same..sell the new one

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Or take both off and you won't notice a difference in handling! ;)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yes, that brace with the handling pack it essentially identical, only differences being the colour and the lack of the Bullitt ID tag...

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
that's the opposite of what i used to say in my younger days.:lol:
:lol:

Nice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No difference. I put that kit on my car. Handles great. I still haven't been able to sell the damned Ford Strut brace that came with the kit.

Make sure you get an adjustable panhard bar to align the rear end once lowered. I also went with some Max Motorsports camber/caster plates. I am putting on some Steeda control arms and a bumpsteer kit next. With my GT500 takeoffs and the suspension, the car handles great now...and will be amazing when I put on the rest of parts. Time for more power!!!

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
jymontoya said:
Or take both off and you won't notice a difference in handling! ;)

You keep saying that the STB doesn't make a difference, so what makes the difference in the Bullitt? I had an 07 GT and my B handles so much better than that car did.

·
Registered
969 Posts
one iota, two iota...

originally posted by BB2008:

You keep saying that the STB doesn't make a difference, so what makes the difference in the Bullitt? I had an 07 GT and my B handles so much better than that car did.
ken,

i drove a stock 09 gt and i agree with you. the bullitt handles much better than a stock gt. it is the opinion of some that the springs are the same on the bullitts as on the gt's. supposedly the shocks are valved differently on the bullitts which gives us a better handling over the gt. i remember a thread from last year where a bunch of folks here on imboc were reporting different numbers related to their springs along with different ride hieghts too.

personally i have never driven the bullitt without the stb, so i don't know if it makes a difference without one. it has been talked about that the chassis on the s197's are stiff enough that a stb just doesn't make that much of a difference. true or not, i'm keeping my stb. can't imagine leaving home without it.

jymontoya is the only bullitt owner i know of that doesn't have his stb installed and he doesn't seem to miss it one iota. maybe the stb's are all show and no go? i guess you could remove your stb and see if you feel a difference??? that's one way to know for sure.

·
Premium Member
7,492 Posts
BiteTheBullitt0793 said:
ken,

i drove a stock 09 gt and i agree with you. the bullitt handles much better than a stock gt. it is the opinion of some that the springs are the same on the bullitts as on the gt's. supposedly the shocks are valved differently on the bullitts which gives us a better handling over the gt. i remember a thread from last year where a bunch of folks here on imboc were reporting different numbers related to their springs along with different ride hieghts too.

personally i have never driven the bullitt without the stb, so i don't know if it makes a difference without one. it has been talked about that the chassis on the s197's are stiff enough that a stb just doesn't make that much of a difference. true or not, i'm keeping my stb. can't imagine leaving home without it.

jymontoya is the only bullitt owner i know of that doesn't have his stb installed and he doesn't seem to miss it one iota. maybe the stb's are all show and no go? i guess you could remove your stb and see if you feel a difference??? that's one way to know for sure.

Gerald, to me the ride and handling is not only better than my 07 GT, but the body feels stiffer too. The body felt like it was flexing a bit when I went around a bumpy corner. I'll pass on removing the STB- I don't want to mess with perfection! :wink:

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
There is slight difference in the construction of the 'Bullitt' brace and the one that comes in the handling pack. I doubt there is any performance/function difference.
Personally I think the 'Bullitt' brace is better made and looking.
FRPP currently sells the 'Bullitt' version as a V6 brace but my impression is that is only until the other stock is depleted.

·
Car Whisperer
21,377 Posts
If the STB did not make any kind of difference, trust me, the bean counters at Ford would have deleted it. Be a lot cheaper to just stick the Bullitt sticker someplace.

Anytime the strut towers are tied, you stiffen the chassis.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the info everyone. Once I get through the Initial shock of moving into my house (I don't think I ever truly realized furniture is rediculously expensive till now) I'll pick up the kit.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Frankenstang said:
If the STB did not make any kind of difference, trust me, the bean counters at Ford would have deleted it. Be a lot cheaper to just stick the Bullitt sticker someplace.

Anytime the strut towers are tied, you stiffen the chassis.

You are confused. It's the bean counters that added it. They already had it in inventory (V6 STB) and figured they could charge more than it costs. AKA... PROFIT. Not to mention, they needed to put the Bullitt plaque somewhere better than the cheesy '01. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
jymontoya said:
You are confused. It's the bean counters that added it. They already had it in inventory (V6 STB) and figured they could charge more than it costs. AKA... PROFIT. Not to mention, they needed to put the Bullitt plaque somewhere better than the cheesy '01. :rolleyes:
Has anyone ever actually priced out the individual equipment that is added or upgraded on the Bullitt to see what we're gettin for our $3000 bullitt package? Or do we want to know?

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
one50npump said:
Has anyone ever actually priced out the individual equipment that is added or upgraded on the Bullitt to see what we're gettin for our $3000 bullitt package? Or do we want to know?
The differential/rear assembly alone accounts for at least half of that

·
Registered
40 Posts
<i>Has anyone ever actually priced out the individual equipment that is added or upgraded on the Bullitt to see what we're gettin for our $3000 bullitt package? Or do we want to know?
</i><P>Engine, color, rear-end, stearing wheel, suspension, seats: $3000.00<P>Bullitt logo: priceless.

·
Registered
576 Posts
RCSignals said:
The differential/rear assembly alone accounts for at least half of that
Not to mention the tires and rim size is 1" larger, 1st production model to have CAI, Machine turned dash and the Bullitt mistique alone is worth it... ;)

Marty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts