Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time the LS1 guys starting talking trash show them this. This was me at TV in september. I got a great start and was able to hold him off at the line. Sorry for the short ending, my wife didn't want to go to the track that day so I figure I am lucky to just have gotten it on tape. You have to love a devoted spouce.
http://www.stangnet.com/downloads/pafiledb.php?action=file&id=29

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
That was pretty cool.. Got it in the file list for future ammo! :smile:

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
What kinda time did you run that pass? I have only lined up against one LS1. I'm still p*ssed about that. Another Camaro owner gave me advice on heating the Nittos that seemed to contradict everything I had been told. I tried it and lost to another LS1. I think the clown was just setting me up.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2002-01-12 18:33 ]</font>

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have that same feeling inside from College graduation 6 yrs ago, wedding 4 yrs ago and the day my son was born 18 mo ago. Thanks for creating an event to rebirth that feeling! I'm so damn proud of you!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was at Carlsbad Raceway today (In the Focus rental: no I didn't run it :wink: ).

Most popular car: LS1 Camaro SS and Firebird (WS6? Snorkle intake...), stock to heavily modded.

Number of times a ~2000+ Mustang GT or Cobra won against one: 0. However, Mustangs did get the hole shot a few times.

What the LS1's were running: low 13's (pretty quiet exhausts), louder cars with slicks were into 11 and 12.

Mustangs were running high 13's, low 14's.

There was a white (SN95?) Mustang with slicks who did beat one of the slower Camaro LS1's, but they didn't state his time.

Coolest car: an ugly, light lime-green VW BUG (turbo?) who pulled his front wheels off the ground, lost it slightly, corrected, got back on it and turned a 10.83 (he won both times we saw him run against what looked like white 60's era muscle car with a big block sound). An amazing spectacle. The crowd went wild. Very cool. If he could keep the front wheels on the ground, he could probably turns 9's! (looks like he lost around a second regaining control).

Regarding stock WRX's: Uhhmmm. Someone mentioned somewhere that perhaps the magazines were getting ringers. Maybe true: there was a very unattractive mustard-yellow WRX who was turning low 15's, and a nicer silver one running about the same (I do not recall hearing either of them even getting into 14). They both appeared to have trouble launching and shifting, though. Lots of squat and dive between shifts too.

Saw a black Supra Turbo run: there are rumors about a Supra Turbo in San Diego running 1100HP. I thought we might be seeing the car. Nope. He started pretty slow, got pulled through mid track, then barely won (I don't recall who he was racing).

The turbo+nitrous Civics and Integras were pretty funny to watch. Lots of noise, some had slicks, they beat each other, but never the big V8's. I believe there was a white Civic running 11's or 12's (loud Turbo, perhaps nitrous, slicks, fully gutted).

Interesting driving technique by some drivers: A.) those who heated up their street radials, B.) those who could not get traction, kept it floored, shifted to second, kept it floored, shifted to third keeping it floored until they got traction. Not very good times...

Then there was the falling-apart-as-it-went-down-the-track Saturn running Nitrous. He never won. Looked like the rear bumper was about to fall off (majorly stripped car).

The cool sleeper race was a black C4 Corvette against a very built, beautifully painted (+ high snorkle hood), huge slicks blue Corvette Stingray (early 70's?), which was very very loud (and sounded great: big block?). The C4 (auto) took him with a 12.14 (I'm guessing test-n-tune for the blue Vette...). We overheard the owner telling some other people that it was just a 383 stroker with a cam. He said it normally runs 11.50's with slicks, and this was the slowest he'd ever run. He said he didn't have time to grab the slicks, as his wife was about to "put me to work around the house", and he had to hustle to get out of the house. Pretty impressive times for a faded black paint, dirty-engined C4 with ugly wheels and tires (major sleeper!).

Fastest time of the day that we saw was ~9.80 (big block muscle car: very loud, major slicks, parachute). Didn't see any blowers (lots of Nitrous, though!), except on a red SVT Lightning (blower is stock), who never lost (I believe he beat an LS1). Probably not stock, perhaps running nitrous. They did not state his times (a lot of times were not stated: apparently a stealth option for test-n-tune people).
There was a funny looking pickup (older, sat up high with big tires front and rear) who also ran very fast (he never lost; don't remember his times, but seemed like 11's or 12's).

Only one grenaded motor: older muscle car on nitrous, smoking halfway down the track, then POOF right at the finish line. Very cool blast of white vapor: you couldn't see either car for a few minutes. Don't know why he was running it so hard; he was already beat by the guy on the right (by a long shot). The lime-green VW bug was 2nd in line to run after the engine explosion, so we waited for them to clean the track to see him run again before we left (worth the wait!).

Pretty fun for $12 (per person to watch, about $22 (I believe) if you want to run your car). Now if they could apply some of that cash to paving the road and fixing the potholes on the track, more people would probably enjoy the races at Carlsbad (I'd never drive my Bullitt on that dirt road, not even to watch).

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Nasty,

Yup, it still exists. Last time I was there was circa 1983, turned a [email protected] MPH (74 V6 Capri (yellow and black), street tires (limited traction), 2.8L bored 30 over, solid lifters (actually stock), titanium valve springs, chromoly retainers, Isky cam (276 duration, .448 lift), MSD 6A, Voltmaster coil, custom cold air induction, electric fan, aluma-coated (Flame Spray) Hooker headers, Holley 350 CFM carb (jetted perfectly), centrifugal advance performance distributer, 1.5" riser (from a Mustang), adaptor plate (for the riser+carb), KYB shocks, 1" lowering springs, slightly stripped (no metal in bumpers, no rear seat), 2250 Lbs (on a scale, w/gas, no driver). On the street that car could hang with the 5.0 Mustangs of the day (a friend of mine always pulled me by a 1/2 car in 2nd, and stayed there all the way down. Did beat the SVO Mustang of the day (2.3T).

As far as I can tell, the track+area looked pretty much the same (everything around the area has grown though; lots of construction. There's also a bunch of motocross tracks around the strip. No permanent snackbar: there was a roachcoach in the area though (food looked pretty good).

I also forget to mention a nice yellow Z06 running drag radials (I think) on stock magnesium wheels in the rear, stock Z06 wheels in front. He won, I don't remember who he raced against, and they didn't state his time. Looked pretty quick...

There were some nicely fixed up Mustangs and Cobras, but they pretty much got waxed by the LS1 Camaro+Firebirds. If only Ford would put the 5.4L+Supercharger in the Mustang (at least the cubes would be closer instead of the 1.1L deficit Mustangs run with against the 5.7L LS1's). Ran across the FR500 on the web (http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/sema99/sema99frp1.htm): it would certainly be a bit more competitive to the LS1 :wink:

·
Registered
337 Posts
You had some fast cars back then. I was a student back then: my Capri was my only ride. It was also primarily set up for handling, not straight line (autocrossed it at the Stadium, etc.).

Also back then was a phenomenon called 2nd street, in El Cajon. People came from all over (LA, Arizona, who know where else) to park their cars, hoods up along the street. People would meet, then head out to back roads (and highway 8 at Lake Jennings!) to street race. There were some amazing cars. Some of the the fastest I remember were a black T-bucket with a small block Chevy and a (471? 671?) blower, a big block Chevy in an older red Vette (same owner as the T-bucket), many other cars with blowers, turbos, and nitrous (including ridiculus engine swaps). A buddy of mine and his dad built a blue Roadrunner convertible with a big block Mopar 440, huge headers, dual 1150 double pumpers running a cross ram that fit under the hood (neat sleeper). I believe that was the fastest (quickest) car I have ever ridden in (I don't remember any times): it pegged me to the seat in every gear.

Apparently people still go out to El Cajon to show off their cars, but the 2nd street thing does not appear to happen anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts