Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following are my thoughts on driving the car.

Bullitt Test Drive

Upon approaching the car there is a sense of it’s 2001 all over again. The designers have captured the essence of the 68 car. Simple some might say plain but an aggressive look. Slide into the recovered GT 500 seats, put you hands on the steering wheel, also a GT 500 recovered. Turn the key and you hear it. The growl that is uniquely Bullitt. So began my test drive with Mustang Times Editor Mary Jean Wesche.

We headed out into traffic with me behind the wheel. The following is my driving impressions of the 08 Bullitt.

Power
Throttle response is excellent. Ford tweaked the throttle to give it a crisper throttle response. The 3.73 gears also provide that instant feeling of power. The power band really hits at around 4200 RPM.

Shifting
The shifting in this car is light years ahead of the 01. Although not a short throw shifter, it is smooth and not overly long between gears. No notchy or sloppy feeling in the transmission. Clutch is very light and easy on the foot. Smooth and tight the pressure needed to engage the clutch is just right.

Handling
Crisp and responsive is the best way to describe the handling. We took the 08 Bullitt down Guadalupe Canyon road where the ending of the chase scene was filmed. This is an excellent road to test out the handling. The car drove through the curves with little or no over steer, this car handled like it was on rails at high speed. It is very forgiving, if you do make a steering error you can easily correct.

Overall impressions, this new Bullitt version was well thought out and was engineered by a group of enthusiasts that went back to the 01 for inspiration. The parts used are unique to this car not a conglomerate of FRPP parts and it shows. The crisp throttle response and handling make this car a nice addition to the Bullitt family.

<!-- toctype = X-unknown --><!-- toctype = text --><!-- text -->

·
Administrator
6,324 Posts
Hi, Greg -

A few questions...

1) How do you rate the throttle response relative to the '01?
2) How did is feel "seat-of-the-pants" between 2000 and 4200 RPM?
3) Did you run to the redline?
4) How would you rate the level of body lean relative to the '01?
5) Did you like the sound of the exhaust better inside or outside the car? Why?
6) Were you able to take any bumpy corners to see how much live axle hop there was? How was it if you did?

Thanks for being one of the "test drivers". I look forward to the review from Brad (9MMBullitt) as well.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Throttle response was as good or better. As many know the 05 + is fly by wire throttle. Ford tweaked it down to get a more agressive response than a GT.

2. That 2000-4200 is a sweet spot in the RPMs felt really good in that driving range.

3. If you mean top speed no. Red line in 1st and 3rd yes. Hit the limiter oops.

4. I felt there was less in this car than my 01 before the new springs. It took corners with ease did not feel at any time like the rear was loose.

5. Both!! Driving by it is so cool sounding and at WOT it sounds amazing inside the car.

6. i felt the wheel hop was minimal over all types of roads. The corners we put it through were fairly smooth but had an occational bump and did not notice wheel hop issues.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I'm beginning to like the new Bullitts already. The '08 Bullitt comes with BF Goodrich G Force T/A KDW's which are far superior to the awful gatorbacks that came with the '01. That alone improves the handling considerably.

·
Premium Member
6,282 Posts
Hi Greg,
Thanks for your review. I have been looking for your impressions of your experience with the new Bullitt.

In another post, tell us about the people, the places and the events you experienced.

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am working on a complete article of the 3 day event and will post it on the main page when completed. I can say the Ford folks really know how to throw a vehicle launch!

·
Premium Member
858 Posts
Sounds great, thanks for your impressions.

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,068 Posts
Good choice B-Man... Greg, I am sure you showed all of us proud down there in Calif. Someone had to do it, right? :tongue:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks for the update, sounds like a winner.

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
Thanks Greg. I know you had alot of pain and suffering on this one, and I respect you for handling it with complete aplumb!:lol:

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
DavidMidgley said:
Thanks Greg. I know you had alot of pain and suffering on this one, and I respect you for handling it with complete aplumb!:lol:
Aplumb:eek:...you needs to wash your mouth out with lye soap..or 3 bud lites which ever comes 1st :lol: an:p

·
Administrator
13,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I felt like a reporter! Driving the car then having to send the pictures and story back to B-Man so he could post them. Really was a great time. I will post the trip story on the main page this weekend.

·
Registered
29,354 Posts
Tony Alonso said:
Hi, Greg -

A few questions...

1) How do you rate the throttle response relative to the '01?
2) How did is feel "seat-of-the-pants" between 2000 and 4200 RPM?
3) Did you run to the redline?
4) How would you rate the level of body lean relative to the '01?
5) Did you like the sound of the exhaust better inside or outside the car? Why?
6) Were you able to take any bumpy corners to see how much live axle hop there was? How was it if you did?

Thanks for being one of the "test drivers". I look forward to the review from Brad (9MMBullitt) as well.
Man these are just some Great-Questions. :exclaim: :exclaim: :exclaim:

The same ones I would have asked. You saved me the time to type them.

Now on to reading the "Replies" to them. :)

Thanks,

Terry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts