Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...I've beat a 5.0 (easy) with the Bullitt, and I've beat a Cobra too (I don't think the guy knew how to shift right, cuz that shouldn't have happened...lol)...but I have yet to race a different brand. Anybody here know how the Bullitt would do against a Z28 or a Trans-Am?? I saw a Z28 at the video rental store, and he made fun of the fact that Mustangs only have 4.6L. I started her up, revved a bit, and his jaw dropped. He didn't say another word!! :smile:

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,024 Posts
Oh, that is TOO funny BadKharma! I would have liked to have seen the guy's face when you did that! LOL :lol: :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-06-18 01:52 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-06-18 01:53 ]</font>

·
Registered
252 Posts
Well, unfortunately the new Z 28's are rated at 305 FWHP and the SS is now up to 325 FWHP. My traded 2000 SS was rated at 320 FWHP and putting these numbers to the flywheel means 259 to the ground for the Z28 and 272 for the SS....I think we been smoked at the stoplights unless the driver can't shift AT ALL!!! And on a personally humiliating note....I got smoked by a new Z 28 today on the highway. Cruising along at about 80 mph when a Z28 pulled up next to me...he pointed down the road...we both downshifted to 3rd and he waved bye bye....I expected it though. Being a former owner of an SS I KNOW it is a stronger car. But then again I want something that will stay together.

·
Registered
2 Posts
More horsepower doesn't always mean a faster car. I took a six speed T/A today buy a car, with a first gear rolling start. Don't know how good the other guy was, I've been racing for eight years.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have owned 2 z28's (95 & 98) and I can honestly say that my Bullitt handles far better than either car, even when the other 2 cars were equiped with Bilsteins and Eibach springs.

This car corners extremely well and is very rigid!

The Z may have more HP but in essence, I didn't buy this car because of that.

Paul G.

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
I had a 2000 Z28 SS. It was the biggest purchase mistake I have made in a long time. The T-top rattles drove me crazy. I did not notice it until I had had the car a few days. I bought it from a dealer in a very small town and figured I would never be satisfied so I traded it for a rag top gt.
The Z28 is still strongly rooted in 1993. The Mustang Fox chasis and sn95 may also be old tech but its a much easier car to live with on a day to day basis. I don't care that my SS was a little faster. My Bullitt is a far superior car.

Teddy Katz Bullitt#60

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tskatz on 2001-06-20 14:34 ]</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well, I had my first real stoplight race last night. A 98 or newer (are there any noticeable differences in body style from 98 on?) Z28 was behind me on the road & as we came to the light there was a car in the left hand lane, so I pulled over to the right lane & he went into the left hand turn lane & started inching up & revving the engine a bit. Ok, cool, he wants to drag. The light turned green & I had him beat solid by 2 gear. Once I was in 3 & doing about 50, he caught up real quick though. But, I beat him off the line & if we were on an open stretch of road I might have put more into it & stayed ahead of him thru 4th. At any rate, the Bullitt beat the Z solidly thru the first two gears, so I'm pleased.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Glad to hear about your street incident! As a former SS owner and now being familiar with BOTH the SS and Bullitt, your story backs up what my seat of the pants has been telling me. I'm sure there's a Z out here waiting for me somewhere....

·
Registered
437 Posts
I have a 2002 Trans Am Ram Air along with my Bullitt. As much as I love the Bullitt in every aspect, I think the Ram Air handles perfectly and is not cheaply put together. If anything, look at the mistakes Ford makes with their cars. Putting a Cobra rear bumper on a regular Mustang and such. Before you knock what appears to me as a very nice car (Ram Air), see the downfalls of Ford as well. And no, I am both a GM and Ford guy, not either one.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
There's an article in the December Motor Trend about the Camaro SS
and Cobra. Except for straight line acceleration the Mustang was better in every way. Not to mention the Z is ugly inside and out (my opinion).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: barry bullitt on 2001-11-09 14:07 ]</font>

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
The SS's and WS6's ARE technically faster, more powerful cars. BUT.. you can still snake them if things go your way. On the X-way.. you can pretty much forget about it, UNLESS you come across one like I did. I smoked a brand new (at the time) red Z-28 on the tollroad. Well it turns out that the Chrome rims meant that he had the smaller tires and GM put a speed limiter on those cars at about 110. So I got him but it wasn't really fair.
My first trip to the dragstrip I made about 12 passes with a modded LT-1.. Not the new LS-1 but this guy had a full exhaust, tunable chips, airbox mods and a host of other goodies. I got him on about 66% of the runs.. He ALWAYS trapped about 5 mph higher at the end but he just couldn't hook to save his life. Except when his dad got in the car.. a light lanch on his part and he had the lead by the 60' and just kept on goin, driver was everything there.
I also came across a new, red Z-28 vert auto, and he wanted a go.. 3 stoplights.. less than 3 blocks between, I took him everytime. He was very surprised to say the least.
So.. what does this all mean? It means that The LS-1's ARE faster more powerful cars. But.. if you get into the situation and have a proper match with the drivers you can/will give him a run for his money and possibly give him a beating. Especially if this is just the ol' stoplight Grand Prix. Mustangs in general are known for being 1st and 2nd gear assassins.. IF DRIVEN PROPERLY.. We lose ground VERRRRY quickly soon after that.. 'bout halfway through 2nd in fact is where the GM twins will start to pull hard on you. The Cobra's are pretty much the same story. As long as it's a short run you have a very good chance.. but.. if it's a longer run and/or you have an experienced driver at the helm you should be looking forward to a spankin'.
But as long as you're havin' fun.. it doesn't matter. And remember.. we look better doing it. :smile:

2001 DHG Bullitt #171

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-11-09 14:20 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The two Z-28s I've raced proved to the that if the Bullitt gears were closer and we had a 6 speed, we could take them. My race with those two Z-28s were pretty even until the top of 3rd gear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts