Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

bullitt vs. Cobra

3K views 32 replies 19 participants last post by  Mus408 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that the bullitt is faster off the line then a cobra. How is this true if the bullitt has 265 hp and the cobra has 320. The torque on a bullitt is at a lower rpm though. But why would ford make a GT model that is faster then their Cobra, it doesnt make sense.

#2 ·
Faster off the line is one thing.. Being able to hold that lead is an entirely different matter. If it is true, that the Bullitt is faster off the line, it'll definitely lose shortly after that. Unless you're only racing for 20ft at a time. :smile:

Blakwing

#3 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-05-21 22:23, Blakwing wrote:
Faster off the line is one thing.. Being able to hold that lead is an entirely different matter. If it is true, that the Bullitt is faster off the line, it'll definitely lose shortly after that. Unless you're only racing for 20ft at a time. :smile:

Blakwing
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, but the initial look of panic on the cobra drivers face has got to be worth losing after 40 ft. :smile:

#4 ·
Well, acceleration is a function of torque/weight (f=m/a according to what I remember from my physics classes). The Bullitt has a max torque of 315 lb-ft of torque and a weight of 3273 lbs, which gives us a ratio of .096. The Cobra has 317 lb-ft of torque and a weight of 3430, which is a ratio of .092. About a 4% advantage for our Bullitt friend. This doesn't take into account the whole torque curve of course, but it would make sense that it would start quicker. Of course 320hp will eventually outpull 265 no matter how fast you start. :wink:

#5 ·
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-05-21 23:24, IvanGrozny wrote:
Well, acceleration is a function of torque/weight (f=m/a according to what I remember from my physics classes). The Bullitt has a max torque of 315 lb-ft of torque and a weight of 3273 lbs, which gives us a ratio of .096. The Cobra has 317 lb-ft of torque and a weight of 3430, which is a ratio of .092. About a 4% advantage for our Bullitt friend. This doesn't take into account the whole torque curve of course, but it would make sense that it would start quicker. Of course 320hp will eventually outpull 265 no matter how fast you start. :wink:

:wink:

It does make the Bullitt a pretty decent buy.

Not to mention the coolness factor. :smile:

#6 ·
Of course I was using the GT weight to calculate this. The Bullitt probably weighs a bit more due to the different parts, big intake manifold, brakes, suspension etc. Then again you save weight by not having fog lamps, and that big shopping cart handle on the trunk.

#7 ·
I am trying to go easy on my car, and I am not into street racing but I had a bit of a funny incident with a black Cobra (95-98) the other day. I was getting on the freeway, in no particular hurry, and this Cobra zips past me doing about 70, while still on the freeway on-ramp no less. I look and there are no other cars nearby so I figure what the heck. I shift into 4th and gun it. I catch up to him about 5 seconds later. He just looked in his rear view mirror and waved. I figured I proved my point and slowed down to a more reasonable speed. :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IvanGrozny on 2001-05-22 14:15 ]</font>

#8 ·
Five Oh B mentioned this at BON but i asked the racers i met over the weekend the same question. "How should you break your engine in?" the answer was simple: don't redline or OVER rev it right out of the box but if you "baby" your car, you will end up with a baby of a car. If you start out driving agressively, you will end up with an agressive vehicle.

#9 ·
Well, I bought my Bullitt from Five-Oh-B, so I am not going to contradict him. :wink: I haven't got close to redlining it yet. In fact I don't think I have gone over 4500 RPM's yet. Even at that RPM though, it still has quite a bit of get up and go. I am going to get myself in trouble. It is hard to drive this car slow. I keep on having to tell myself to slow down. :wink:

#10 ·
I know, I have to watch it. I got lucky the other day, I ran into a speed trap but luckily they were already busy with a black vette. Of course the traffic is getting so bad here that it is difficult to speed a lot of the time anyway. :sad: Plus there are only certain areas where they will pull you over, due to the fact that many of the roads don't have a shoulder. I have heard stories of cops following you all the way off the freeway into town and pulling you over there, but you would really have to be moving to draw that kind of attention. Right now they are mostly worried about aggressive drivers, they have unmarked Chevy Tahoes to catch people tailgating, changing lanes erratically, etc. I may like to drive fast when I can, but I am a rather polite driver otherwise. :wink:

#11 ·
And that's why I LOOOOVE working 3rd shift. I take the tollroad out to the west side of Chicago and there's hardly ever any traffic. 80mph just to keep up with traffic. It's good to get her out and let her run. That and the inudstrial drive I work on is essentially a 1/2 mile oval with only 1 access point out. I've been able to run a few hot laps before actually going into work and shutting her down for the evening..
The only challenge is that one of our day shifters has a 2001 Camaro SS and is chompin' at the bit to race me. He even tried talkin' me out of getting my Baby. He may be faster but everyone at work is in universal agreement.. My baby looks SOOOO much better. :smile:

2001 DHG Bullitt #171
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>Always remember.. Pillage BEFORE you burn</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Blakwing on 2001-05-23 21:36 ]</font>

#12 ·
A coworker of mine has a Camaro SS. I of course had to ask him why he had a car named after the Nazi secret police. :wink: I conceded the horsepower to him, but he didn't even put up an argument when I stated that his car looked like a damn doorstop on steroids.

Let the spirit of Steve McQueen loose.

#13 ·
IvanGrozny (James),

Well, I finally found this site. Nice site, I might add.

Thanks for the biz. Now start driving #765 like it wants to be driven. I know some great back roads that are free of unwanted attention in our back yard.

If you're really daring, bring #765 out to Seattle Int'l Raceway this summer. I'd love to match up against you with my '00 GT. I'll even swap cars with you for a couple runs, if you like! The Bullitt should beat my '00, but I'd be honored to run ya and get timeslips to document the fun.

#14 ·
Yo, Five Oh!

I'm taking my baby on a road trip down the Columbia River Gorge this weekend to visit relatives. Of course I will have to slam on the brakes every time I hit one of those little towns, but with those big 13" rotors it stops very nicely. :wink: Now I just need to come up with a name for her. I was thinking Cathy, which was Jacqueline Bisset's name in the movie, but it is also the name of a friends fiance so I don't want him to get the wrong idea. :wink:

I may be at the SIR next Wednesday with a friend who is racing, but I won't try it myself for another month or two. After driving an automatic V-6 for the last two years, I still need a little practice. As for switching cars... I'll think about it. :wink:

#15 ·
On 2001-05-25 23:56, IvanGrozny wrote:
Yo, Five Oh!

I'm taking my baby on a road trip down the Columbia River Gorge this weekend to visit relatives. Of course I will have to slam on the brakes every time I hit one of those little towns, but with those big 13" rotors it stops very nicely. :wink: Now I just need to come up with a name for her. I was thinking Cathy, which was Jacqueline Bisset's name in the movie, but it is also the name of a friends fiance so I don't want him to get the wrong idea. :wink:

I may be at the SIR next Wednesday with a friend who is racing, but I won't try it myself for another month or two. After driving an automatic V-6 for the last two years, I still need a little practice. As for switching cars... I'll think about it. :wink:

Cathy is a cool name for these. I will start calling mine Cathy starting today! :grin:

I don't know any Cathy's, and neither does the wife, so I should be okay. :wink:

#16 ·
About the weights of the Bullitt and Cobra. I read a while back that the 4.6 2V engine weighs about 600 lbs. The all aluminum 4.6 4V is 575 lbs. Also I hear the Cobra IRS adds 90 lbs. over the solid axle. The Cobra should out run the Bullitt with it's better breathing ability. No shame there. Been through this in Mopar country between the 440 Six-Pack and Street Hemi guys. The 440 was always the better street engine. The 428 CJ was better than the Boss 429 on the street..and on and on. Just different horses for different owners.

#17 ·
On 2001-05-26 17:40, Mus408 wrote:
About the weights of the Bullitt and Cobra. I read a while back that the 4.6 2V engine weighs about 600 lbs. The all aluminum 4.6 4V is 575 lbs. Also I hear the Cobra IRS adds 90 lbs. over the solid axle. The Cobra should out run the Bullitt with it's better breathing ability. No shame there. Been through this in Mopar country between the 440 Six-Pack and Street Hemi guys. The 440 was always the better street engine. The 428 CJ was better than the Boss 429 on the street..and on and on. Just different horses for different owners.

Exactly. And like you said in the other forum, you can't measure the satisfaction of a great looking package, and exclusive ownership.

#18 ·
Actually the opposite is true.. The Bullitt should be able to sneak a Cobra off the line then will lose ground quickly after that. The Cobra has a higher revving engine that produces more of it's power and torque up in the higher revs. So.. it'll pull out faster in the end of the 1/4 and top end as well. Take a look at the 1/4 mile numbers.. and pay attention to the slight differneces in the TIMES but the larger differences in the SPEEDS. The Cobra will consistently pull Higher speeds at the end.

#19 ·
I Wish I had a Bullitt. Maybe someday, although they may never be built again. I don't think there is anyway a Bullitt will come close to sniffing a Cobra's tail pipes. They will just be too far behind. I wish this was not the case, but lets face facts. Car & Driver now has the 01 Cobra at 4.8 0-60. 13.5 in the 1/4. Same as the SS. Wish it weren't true.

#21 ·
The answer for a Camaro SS is the same as the answer for Cobra problems: Make your Bullitt a Magnum, add a Vortec with intercooler. Vortec has one just for the Bullitt. It's about $5200 and Vortec says you'll get 415 HP from a bone stock Bullitt. Oh,and your car will still LOOK the same! My baby's is getting one this spring.

#22 ·
I don't know about you guys, but I'm not scared of a 2001 cobra in a short race, like an 1/8th mile or street light to street light. It would definitely come down to driver ability. I've smoked several LS1's on the street that have way more power, even more than the 01 cobra. The Bullitt makes excellent low end tourque, and that's what you need cruising down main street.

Now at a 1/4 mile strip or a highway roll, the Cobra and LS1 hp edge should press through to victory assuming a good driver. But there are a few I've raced at HRP that were humbled by #1584. You had better bring your "A" game at all times, because I'm going to do the same.

#23 ·
I ran a 98 svt cobra, Winner is Me i dont know i smoked him by .6 sec. have a buddy of mine with a 99 cobra there will be no ET on that race but will let you know who the winner is. On the other hand lets talk Chevy, Now everyone pretty much knows that the SS is FAST, well budy of mine a ford hatger and a SS fan went for a ride with me the other day and declined the invotation for a lil action afterwords. Same with a buddy of mine who has a TA w/ram air however they did chalenge me to a top end run with i happly said all pass

#24 ·
Right on, JB Vobra! I don't know jack about drag racing, but when it comes to track racing, it's the driver, not the car, that counts, especially at the club/amatuer level.

I have lapped 911 Turbos (in a stock 911), and have been hounded by a Neon while driving the same 911, at least in the tight sections. The difference was what was behind the wheel.

#26 ·
On 2001-10-05 00:16, Bullitt#1208 wrote:
in regard to the weight of the bullittin the oct. muscle mustang &fast ford to be roughly 3900lbs .I thought it must be a miss print but that is all the article is roughly about.The article is on pg. 30 bullitt #1208

go to a drag strip and weigh your car

I weighed mine at NHRA sanctioned Houston Raceway Park:

3292 without me
3472 with me

the car had the spare/jack removed and 1/4 tank gas

MMFF is way fugged up. Don't believe everything they print.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.