Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading "are you supposed to shoot a horse with a broken leg?". Something was said that made me think. I bought a Bullitt because that's what I wanted. Paid $27,500 with options. I could have afforded a Cobra easily. I'm not claiming to have lots of money but the payment difference is not that significant. How many of you would've bought a Cobra if you could've afforded it?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1NastyFordGT on 2001-08-30 00:37 ]</font>

·
Registered
116 Posts
I would still pick the Bullitt over a Cobra even if the price was identical.

I do not like the IRS, drove it, hated it. Also the Bullitt is a much classier looking car.

I am not sure whether or not the Cobra has those hideous (my opinion) side scoops that the '01 GT's have. I liked the older ('99-'00) panels they used much better.

Just my two cents - hope i did not offend any '01 GT owners - but those scoops are ugly.

Joe Schwartz
DHG #00238

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Well, for me we we're talking a $6500 price difference. I could not find a dealer that would do X on a Cobra and no rebate. That's huge. If I could have got these two things it would be a tough call. That would bring it down to around $25,800 or less before tax tag and title. I might have bought one.

Unlike most here, I would not have bought the car if I couldn't have got X on it (or at least $1200 off sticker). The rebate helped too. If it had no rebate, I likely would have bought a Premium GT.

However, I like the clean look of the Bullitt even with the scoop. I do not really care for the Cobra hood and I don't want the independent rear.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 01GTB on 2001-08-25 00:41 ]</font>

·
Super Moderator
5,610 Posts
While waiting for my Bullitt to come in I looked at a new Cobra that stickered right at $29,000. It was sharp (black w/ polished wheels) but I still liked the Bullitt better. Until it came out, I had talked about getting a Cobra but the Bullitt really caught my attention.
Cam

·
Registered
225 Posts
Didn't look at the GTs and the closes SVT dealer was over an hours drive,have seen a few Cobras on the road but perfer the Bullitt for it's clean lines and drivablity.It has got to be the MOST FUN car I've ever owned,and I do remember when the first 'stang came out,and the GTO,the 'Cuda,Chevell,the AMX,and a few more great and not so great cars.Came close to buying a used Gremin with the 305? in it that had been blueprinted and balanced,would pull the front tires off the road.But that's another story.

·
Registered
762 Posts
In the shopping area at the time I was looking in I couldn't find a single Cobra coupe that didn't have an additional $4000.00 dealer mark-up or a convertible that didn't have an additional $7000.00 dealer mark-up. That includes SVT dealers from Santa Cruz to LA. Honestly I thought my chances of getting a Bullitt initially were slim to none because I had heard that they were nearly sold out before hitting the dealer lots. I was surprised to find one (also with a mark-up of $2000.00) and even more surprised to find one that I could test drive right out of the showroom. Needless to say that's where the search ended and the story began. In retrospect, I still would have bought the Bullitt over an MSRP priced Cobra. Though the it is a fine car in its own right the 2001 model is what should have come out in 1999. So really it wasn't a "new" Cobra at all, just a well sorted out one. The Bullitt has looks, "mojo", performance, cheaper "mod-a-bility" and in my case cost me $25680.00 after rebates and then California sent me a refund of sales tax. Very cool. There is still a Cobra in my future (hopefully chrome yellow)so I will be watching SVT-Ford very closely for what it brings out in 2003/4.

·
Premium Member
1,271 Posts
It was a Bullitt all teh way for me. I didn't like anything I'd heard about the IRS and once I drove it I liked it even less. The power was nice and I like the Cobra Tail lights.. But beyond that. I really do not like the Cobra rims at all. The 2 tone leather looks kinda funky and there's no scoop on the hood. Little cosmetic differences maybe, but since I'm the one who has to live with the choice I didn't want a single thing to regret. Those things along with the fact that there are a veritable horde of Cobras running around the Chicagoland area made the choice even easier. I love my Bullitt and wouldn't trade it for anything!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
IF I could have afforded a Cobra (and I'm not at all sure that I could), I honestly wouldn't pick one over the Bullitt. No slam on the Cobra intended. This is not to say that I'm not in awe over the '01 Cobra in some ways. The Bullitt is just more my kind of package.

Joe

·
Registered
610 Posts
As most know , I own an earlier Cobra which is a wonderful car. I was waiting for 2003/2004 for the new one...planning..pinching pennies..and BOOM along comes the Bullitt. Never looked back and happy as a clam with my choice. Now if I pinched somme more pennies....!? :lol:

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
I can buy buy any ford product at dealer cost including cobra's ... with that in miund, there still was No chance i would buy the cobra... something about the bullitt,
1) the color, 2) the entire package specifically the interior/ seats guages etc.. 3) the way it is so well balanced...and i am not a fan of the IRS ,

bullitt all the way

·
Registered
835 Posts
When my Bullitt was delivered to the dealer, they prepped it and had it sitting in the middle of the showroom surrounded by 3 Cobras that were also on the truck. Talk about a good way to compare. About the only thing I would have liked from the Cobra for the Bullitt was the hood. I felt it fit the retro image of the Bullitt and more was a close approximation of the hood on the '68 from the movie. Without that big fake hood scope it should also reduce drag a point or 2.

I'm still considering making that one of my mods.

I guess I'll always think of the Cobra as being an AC based Shelby, not a Mustang.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TXBullitt on 2001-08-25 12:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am another who almost considered the Cobra because I couldn't find a Bullitt any where in the NY NJ area for a while, the ONLY thing I like better about the Cobra is the fact of it having more power, the 325 HP would have been nice, I wish they would have gone a little heavier on the HP on the Bullitt to 300 HP to make it just enough to be equally between a Cobra and standard GT, other than that I think the Bullitt is much cleaner, classier and better looking than the cobra and it even looks faster and meaner. I also test drove an SVT Lightning 150 and considered that too..I did like it alot except that you had no choice to get a manual, it only comes in automatic, and from what I remember I think our Bullitts could keep up with or beat the 385 HP and automatic transmission in the Lightning. Has anyone tried a match between a Bullitt and Lighning ? I'd be interested in hearing about that. Anyway no regrets here on biting the Bullitt, I love it and so far no problems with mine.

from Montvale, New Jersey

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-08-25 14:22 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: krankiekat on 2001-08-25 14:25 ]</font>

·
Registered
199 Posts
I was intially looking for a Lightning. A friend of mine has a 99 and it is one mean truck. I was looking at Lightnings hear in OK and in TX. I did not even have the Bullitt in mind because all of the dealers here in OK said they could not get one. While in TX for a IRL race I ran into 1164 and even after driving several Lightnings I could not get over the looks of the Bullitt. The rest is history.
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2001-08-25 14:19, krankiekat wrote:
I remember I think our Bullitts could keep up with or beat the 385 HP and automatic transmission in the Lightning. Has anyone tried a match between a Bullitt and Lighning ? I'd be interested in hearing about that. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>
As for the Bullitt being able to keep up, well on the highway it is pretty equal but the Lightning can smoke a Bullitt off the line (that is if the Lightning doesn't smoke it's tires first).

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is an interesting topic between the Bullitt and the Cobra. I like TXBullitt's comment "I guess I'll always think of the Cobra as being an AC based Shelby, not a Mustang." And I couldn't agree more.

I came across my Bullitt when shopping for a new "daily driver". My "daily driver" was giving me fits with various little bits falling apart, until finally the blower motor fried one Sunday driving home from a local "Ponies and Snakes" car show, filling the car full of burn electric wire smoke - yuch! The next Monday I called the Ford Dealership from whom I've purchased other vehicles.

I told my friend (who works there in sales)that I was looking for a dark colored GT Coupe with tan interior and with the premium package (I needed a 4 seater car). He did a scan of the extended area (I think he scanned all of Northern CA), but no GTs in the configuration that I wanted existed for sale. So, we changed the config from tan interior to charcoal, and he got 5 hits - which meant he had 5 phone calls to make in order to trade a car on his lot for one of these 5.

This is when he told me about the Bullitt - I had never heard of it, until then. He went on to explain that he was expecting 3 Bullitt's, of which 2 were already sold, and the last one was True Blue (blue - this matched my color preference). He gave me an excellent price over the phone, and after getting the "spousal unit's" approval, I told him that I'll take it.

Later that day, I probably spent 2 to 3 hours surfing the net to read about the Bullitt - I had to learn about this special car that I just decided to buy. Needless to say, I've very pleased with my decision, and this coming Tuesday, I'll be picking up my new Bullitt.

So, if you've read this far, then you are probably wondering what does all of this have to do with buying a Bullitt over buying a Cobra... In my pursuit of a new "daily driver", I had no desire for a Mustang Cobra or even a convertible GT. The Bullitt fits my need for a fun "daily driver" that's unique enough to feed my ego, yet tame enough not to cost a bunch to insure and not to suck fuel to bankrupt me. Living in Northern CA, driving a convertible is huge joy, and when I get the bug to drive with wind in my hair, fortunately I already own a convertible (2 seater weekend car).

Well, that's my story...

Keep the rubber side down,
Randy R...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The Bullitt is a one time offer. You can always get a Cobra. And the power difference is significant but what do you prefer? Live action or IRS? The Cobra, yes, is more aggresive and more powerful horsepower wise. But!, the Bullitt has 315 lbs of torque compared to the Cobra's 317lbs. All it comes down to is Hp and how good the driver is. Looks wise, I'd have gone with a Cobra because, well, I'm a Cobra enthusiast. But, you can always get a Cobra. Plus, I love the way people damn near stop in the middle of the road to take a glance at my car. lol. I thought I'd regret a Bullitt when I could've gotten a Cobra. I'm glad I got the Bullitt and not the Cobra. Go Bullitts, go!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The Bullitt is a one time offer. You can always get a Cobra. And the power difference is significant but what do you prefer? Live action or IRS? The Cobra, yes, is more aggresive and more powerful horsepower wise. But!, the Bullitt has 315 lbs of torque compared to the Cobra's 317lbs. All it comes down to is Hp and how good the driver is. Looks wise, I'd have gone with a Cobra because, well, I'm a Cobra enthusiast. But, you can always get a Cobra. Plus, I love the way people damn near stop in the middle of the road to take a glance at my car. lol. I thought I'd regret a Bullitt when I could've gotten a Cobra. I'm glad I got the Bullitt and not the Cobra. Go Bullitts, go!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My 2 cents...
I had no intention of buying a new car, was going to get a used stang and build it. Then my Mom calls me to tell me I qualify for the "a" plan. So I check out a few local dealers and fully intended to get a cobra or saleen, since I'm getting it at cost. Well only one dealer would give me the discount, and he only had a convertable. That put me over my self impossed spending limit and the cobra didn't qualify for any discounts. So I started looking for a bullitt, and do not regret it one bit. This is the funest car I have ever driven. Its a keeper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was in the market for a new Mustang, I could have swung the payments on a Cobra, but when I found out about the Bullitt, I was sold. The styling, the trim, the equipment, the color...this car just screams AWESOME. Also, it's a one time deal...they build Cobras every year.

I guess the styling really hit me, I own a 1969 Mustang also, and alot of the styling cues remind me alot of my 69.

I won't get rid of my Bullitt, but I wish I could also get one of those new Mach I's too!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts