Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the Mustang Monthly article on the Bullitt and noticed they said the engine had "Ford Racing Performance Parts upscale heads" I was not aware of this mod, and have not seen this printed anywhere else...???

Don.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Don,welcome to the club! There is a lot of missing tech. info on the Bullitt engine. Nothing has appeared in any of the magazines on the engine or it's new intake. I had heard it was to be released in the Performance Parts book at a later date. Normaly when a new engine setup comes out,some info hits the Magazines. Very strange. No intake gasket sets are out,from Ford,for it yet.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Art Hyde told me that in one of his replies. I copied the quote into one of my posts in an earlier discussion thread regarding engine parts.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ford Racing doesn't know anything about our intake or heads. I called and asked abot the intake, sure "looked" like the FRP intake, the guy said the heads and intake are port matched. The intake is a bullitt only intake and not the FRP. So, who really knows? That combo from FRP i.e. heads and intake increase HP with computer upgrade by 75 HP on a GT. so.. lets see, 260 HP GT add 75HP that makes 335 HP Bolt on from FRP as advertised in the FRP catalog 2000 edition. I was and still am confused. I know some guys were working on a higher # HP for the Bullitt but the R&D said Ford would have to delay the production and said NO. Sooo, we got 265 HP. If these heads and intake are in fact FRP "They Deny It" whats up with the computer and WHERE'S MY 335 HP BULLITT??? :smile: Hey Art, are you listening? yoo hoo Mr. Mustang. How About lighting up this post fellow Bullittheads!! a little help here.. come on I know you can do it!! Oh ya, almost forgot the price tag on the heads un assemble $1,800+. The intake another $1,000. I really doubt we got that good of a discount and performance of that level with our Bullitts'. :sad: One can hope secret squirrel slipped $3,000 + worth of FRP parts onto our Bullitts' in addition to the Bullitt pkg. !!:)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: svtoa0100282 on 2001-09-27 22:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: svtoa0100282 on 2001-09-27 22:07 ]</font>

·
Registered
168 Posts
bump

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: svtoa0100282 on 2001-09-27 23:27 ]</font>

·
Registered
168 Posts
Bump.
Last try here, any input?
I'm pretty sure on the bolt on HP i.e. 75. no less than fifty, I need to find the catalog SVTOA sent me to be sure. still at 50HP that puts a Bullitt @315HP.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think those "75hp" increase figures are for a 96-98 GT owner wishing to upgrade. The Bullitt heads are basically identical to the 99-01 GT heads. The only real difference is the intake, throttle body, alternator, and accessory pullies. The crank pulley is identical to the GT and Bullitts will benefit from a smaller, aftermarket one.

If you want 280+ to the wheels NA, better consider some new cams, head work, intake work, long tubes, custom burn chip, and a little praying wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Here you go guys and girls. i dug this out of my e-amil archive.

2nd Paragraph regarding KSG! to KSG2 difference - "The computer code change was due to correct a spark knock at initial abrupt tip-in at low rpm issue we found early on. There is no difference in performance or economy. It is even hard to hear the difference -- this is nothing to worry about, but if you must there is an Oasis dealer bulletin authorizing dealers to download the later calibration when customers complain about the noise."

In reply to my commnets that my all time favorite heads were 351C 2 barrel heads - "The heads are totally different configurations that they are very hard to compare. The head on your Bullitt (the "PI or Power Improved" head) is very comparable to the high-flow 4.6L 2V head in the Ford Racing catalogue. The next step up would be to go to the 4V block and head -- big bucks."

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
From what I have figured out. The intake on the prototype Bullitt was a two piece tube type intake. When the production version came out,it is now a three piece unit. The area that concerns me is the section that bolts the upper plenum to the manifold itself,the part down in the valley area of the block. If there is a shift in the port line up,as might be without any alignment pins,it could cause a flow loss. Just my theory. Won't know for sure until I pull it off for an in depth study.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hmm, ya know, didn't fords HI-PO 289 turn out 290 HP? You might think that our 4.6 or 281 cubic inch with todays technology would meet that. Good point on the intake, IMOP there's a lot of wasted flow by the 3 piece, instead of a straight shot like with the GT40 style upper and lower. Wonder what the abrasive flow job on the heads and intake, and larger injectors w/a new computer program would do? Hmmm.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The October 2001 Hod Rod mag. has an artical on the bullitt. It has some interesting info. I think that there has been a lot done to the Bullitt that we just don't know about. Here is a quote from the artical..."the bean-counters, on the other hand, must be choking: an extra $8,000 in content has been added for $3,695..."

Do we have the Ford Racing intake?...I say yes. Have the intake and heads been port matched? Yes.

What will be great is when Ford will release the complete list of the total parts and work done on the Bullitt. This is the info we need to start pushing Ford for.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
The old Hi-Po 289s were rated at 271 HP at the flywheel. In the Mustang,they were good for high 14s,stock,thru the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got a suspicion that when history looks at the brief run of Bullitt's back from good 'ol 2001, this car will be in a category similar to what the Boss 302 was back in 1969; underrated in flywheel horsepower but producing significantly more. Of course all that really matters is what makes it to the rear wheels, but for the life of me, these Bullitt's run so much better than the standard GT's it's hard to swallow their story that the cars are only 5 horsepower apart. It will be something that just adds to the mystique of the car. I know I'd rather have it underrated than overrated!

·
BEST BULLITT Nats 06
13,049 Posts
Right on Lieutenant! :-B

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TwoStangWmn on 2001-09-28 23:39 ]</font>

·
Registered
37 Posts
I talked to a guy at the Woodward cruise. He said he worked at the Romeo plant and worked on the Bullit engines.

He said they had to hand assemble the intakes and that it was a major pita. I wish I got his phone # so I could ask him some more questions.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Black_Bullit on 2001-09-29 09:57 ]</font>

·
Registered
835 Posts
Don't forget that the Boss 302 was only RATED at 290 hp.

And let's not forget that our engines have a family lineage all the way back to the '68 GT in the movie. Our 4.6s have a deep skirt block just the the FEs, 390, 427, aand 428.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, kinda makes me wonder if an FE would actually fit.

I drove a '69 Fairlane, retired police cruiser, while doing work/study for the city while in college. 390 Police Interceptor under the hood. I missed the city auction during summer vacation, or I'd still have that engine today.

·
Banned
7,235 Posts
Did you know that Bullitt 4.6 engine weighs just about as much as those old FEs! Checks in at 600 lbs.! About 550-575 for Cobra 4.6

1 - 20 of 22 Posts