Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum and the Bullitt - joined both just this past week. How do you all protect your bumpers and the leading edge of the hood from chips? Mine spends 30 miles on the interstate every day - don't want the front-end looking like my F150.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
DeesBullitt said:
I'm new to the forum and the Bullitt - joined both just this past week. How do you all protect your bumpers and the leading edge of the hood from chips? Mine spends 30 miles on the interstate every day - don't want the front-end looking like my F150.
I immediatley had the 3M Clear Mask applied by the Dealer's 3M subcontractor to the front bumper cover, lower portion of the hood & front of each fender, mirror covers, door edges, rocker panels, and top of rear bumper cover as wide as the trunk opening. They were supposed to add it to the headlight lens but did not. I later read where DOT doesn't allow anything on headlight lenses.

Wasn't sure if I would like it but a) I wanted protection due to rocks and bugs, and b) I'll never use a regular bra/mask again due to paint discoloration. Well, I LOVE the Clear Mask. You can't even see it until you are up close to the car. A Certified 3M installer cost a bit more but it comes with a 5 yr. warranty.

As fate would have it, I have a slight rock chip on the leading edge of the hardtop just behind the black rubber above the windshield. Should have put about a 4" strip up there. Besides rocks, bugs stick there too.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
cdynaco said:
I immediatley had the 3M Clear Mask applied by the Dealer's 3M subcontractor to the front bumper cover, lower portion of the hood & front of each fender, mirror covers, door edges, rocker panels, and top of rear bumper cover as wide as the trunk opening. They were supposed to add it to the headlight lens but did not. I later read where DOT doesn't allow anything on headlight lenses.

Wasn't sure if I would like it but a) I wanted protection due to rocks and bugs, and b) I'll never use a regular bra/mask again due to paint discoloration. Well, I LOVE the Clear Mask. You can't even see it until you are up close to the car. A Certified 3M installer cost a bit more but it comes with a 5 yr. warranty.

Yup, I did the same thing. I love the stuff, very glad I had it done, it was well worth the money.

·
Registered
628 Posts
What do those clear bra's run price wise? Obviously more areas cost more but what would the bumper, front hood maybe a few other small places like the rockers cost roughly? I already got a chip on the front of the hood, probably the same rock that got my windshield.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I've ordered an invisible car bra to install myself. It'll be a little different putting a bra on instead of taking it off :wink:, so any suggestions anyone has from their experience will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You could do the clear bra thing, or you could just do what I do....never drive the darn car! My Bullitt is 9 months old, and has 2,100 miles on it. And I live in California, for cryin' out loud! (A company car and a beater Toyota might have something to do with it.)

Seriously, I'll be looking into a clear bra for my B, too. Thanks for the info, all.

And hang back on the freeway. If any of your friends are chronic tailgaters, take a look at their front end. Ouch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.