Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is wondering......

When doing burnouts with a manual, rear wheel drive car is it correct to put the clutch in, put the car in first, rev to about 2500-3000 rpms, drop the clutch, and immeadiately stomp on the brakes? Is this the right procedure?

Would it be better to start the burnout in second so there is more wheel spin? Has anyone done this? or do people actually shift gears during the burnout?

(disclaimer - of course, this friend of mine will only be doing these burnouts in safe, controlled, legal environments!)

·
Registered
722 Posts
That's what I've heard is the correct way too, but what I do to make things easier is the following:

1) Left foot on clutch, right foot's heel on brake and toe on gas.
2) While holding the clutch, I rev to around 3-4k RPM, and just let go of the clutch. My gas and brake are pressed down evenly.
3) Have fun! When I'm done, I simply press in the clutch again and let go of the gas and brake, unless I wanna take off then I'll simply let go of the brake :p.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You also can:

Put it in first, rev it up, drop the clutch, let it start spining. Shift into 2nd quickly, and once in gear, start using your left foot to get on the brakes enough to stop any rolling. Ease off with your left foot, and roll off the burn out. If you feel like you can just start it in second, you just forget the first half of that. I used to be able to hold a burnout for as long as I wanted. You just have to learn how much brake pressure so that you dont stall it out by clamping on the axle to hard. (left foot braking isHARD!)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I like to rev and drop the clutch in 1st or 2nd (depending on my burnout needs at the time). I probably drop the clutch around 3,000 or so, and then immediatly floor it. I then put my left foot on the brake if I wish to keep it still. I have not messed around at all with heel/toe.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Having 4.10's i do mine in 2nd by rev'n 'er up,and dropping the clutch.
With the stock 3.27's i did it in 1st.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
1st or 2nd really in our cars. Rev it, dump the clutch, grab the brake with your left foot. Watch the RPM's if in 1st to make sure you don't bang off the rev limiter. Usually I do a brake stand in first to get the desired amount of smoke, then let off the break and grab 2nd immediately and keep it floored and it makes for a nice long smokey burnout. Another option is a line lock. This way you don't have to worry about weaing down your rear brakes, and you don't have to worry about going from clutch pedal to brake pedal with your left foot.

Edit:

this was also a friend of mine that did this in his Bullitt, not me of course. And it was a professional driver on a closed course.

·
Premium Member
8,101 Posts
Where are the pics?:eek:

·
Premium Member
18,432 Posts
itsabullitt said:
1st or 2nd really in our cars. Rev it, dump the clutch, grab the brake with your left foot. Watch the RPM's if in 1st to make sure you don't bang off the rev limiter. Usually I do a brake stand in first to get the desired amount of smoke, then let off the break and grab 2nd immediately and keep it floored and it makes for a nice long smokey burnout. Another option is a line lock. This way you don't have to worry about weaing down your rear brakes, and you don't have to worry about going from clutch pedal to brake pedal with your left foot.

Edit:

this was also a friend of mine that did this in his Bullitt, not me of course. And it was a professional driver on a closed course.
I assume he would never attempt this at home... :lol:

·
Registered
10,404 Posts
spray the tires with WD-40 before the burn

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
folky15 said:
badass!

A. Good job!
B. I think you just about mastered it
C. Great job with a follow up to your thread :D
I love posters like you ;)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Ezekial! By the way - yours is one of the best Bullitt burnout vids out there! - I stumbled across yours today on Youtube and it's what made me want to throw mine up there too!

So all the world can see!.....

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cisco said:
Dont forget to kill the TC first
+1 !!!!!!!

Ask me how I know......

My first test of the line lock was a bit embarrasing because I forgot to disable the TC :shock:

·
Registered
372 Posts
MaineBullitt said:
+1 !!!!!!!

Ask me how I know......

My first test of the line lock was a bit embarrasing because I forgot to disable the TC :shock:
OUCH !!! I forget too-- I wish you had to turn it on not off. Cisco

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet! - Paul, the upper right pic you posted is exactly what a burnout should look like! Thanks for posting!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts