Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, there is a strong possibility I will be moving to the SF area this spring. I want to bring the bullitt but was curious how some of you have gotten your modified bullitts past smog? I know some of you have cars that should probably not technically pass emissions and I was curious on your thoughts (feel free to PM). The way my car sits now I will need to change a few things, I am just trying to get a sense of how much will need changed.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
47 Posts
well not only will they do the sniffer test, but they will also give it a visual inspection as well. My dad bought a 93 ranger splash here in CA drove it for 5 years here, we moved to GA for 6 years and then came back to CA with the same truck, we got all kinds of fines, they went as far as to weigh the truck and tell us it was over weight and of course there was a fine for that, it didnt matter that the truck was bought in CA new and still 100% stock when it came back. Just dosent make any sence... Good luck..

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have to change my exhaust every time i get smogged for the sniffer test but if you go to the right smog shop where i live you can find a guy who doesn't know his wheel from his door if you know what i mean. lol. they are very strict though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I didn't have any problems when I got my Bullitt smogged. I have a Bassani X-pipe (w/ cats on) and a Magnapack catback and it easily passed. I didn't even take anywhere shady or slip the guy $$$. I think it was just a normal Pep-Boys or something like that.

I did warm the car up for about 30 minutes before I took in, though. Also, I did have the exhaust welded on to get rid of all of the leaks from the bolt-on parts.

I was nervous as hell, though, throughout the entire test....

7,020 Posts
Dude you can do it !

Matt Stachler aka Matt, dude ... you need to have a guy !
DHG 1005 has Allen Supercharger, NOS, BBK long-tube headers, and it passes California smog test big time / every time !

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Moving to San Francisco???? My nephew is living and working there right now and doesn't have a car....Too expensive for insurance (he just turned 21) and where his apartment is at, there was no parking at all....Our golden state isn't so golden anymore....Our state is hurting so much for money that everything is revenue generated now...Get ready for cost of living shock also.......Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to live....Don't mean to scare you but its the truth....We are use to it because we lived here our whole life.......

·
Registered
718 Posts
Pronkie1 said:
Moving to San Francisco???? Bay Area is one of the most expensive places to live....Don't mean to scare you but its the truth....We are use to it because we lived here our whole life.......
No kidding. The two-bedroom, one bath, two story, one car garage home my folks bought for $14,500 when I was little is now worth $650,000. It is one of the most beautiful cities around though and has the BEST IRISH BARS on the West Coast.

I hate how California has gone downhill big time too! :mad: :confused: :hrm: :-x :mad:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have BULLITT will travel said:
Matt Stachler aka Matt, dude ... you need to have a guy !
DHG 1005 has Allen Supercharger, NOS, BBK long-tube headers, and it passes California smog test big time / every time !

on your six ... DHG 1005
Will you share your guy?? :) That is what I figured, I would just have to ask around and find the right place. Regardless, I will have to change a few things to get the car to run on 91 octane. Right now it will squeak by on 94 octane. (~12.5-13:1 compression).

As far as cost of living goes, compared to where I am not it will be crazy, but it is still a little cheaper than the other possibility I might be going to (Boston). Especially because I will not actually be living in SF but someplace a little south. I will be working in Palo Alto (Stanford) and my wife's job will probably be in SF. Not the Ideal situation but it should work.

7,020 Posts
smog it's in the air

Matt Stachler, this guy can somg check both regular smog check & test only check.

Poway Test Only
13865 Poway Road
858 668-3013 ask for Rick Tozier owner

smog check = $39.95 + $ 8.25 cert. + $ 1.75 V.I.D. fee

on your six ... DHG 1005

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my Bullitt shipped from VA to CA and needed to get a smog check in CA.

When performing the visual inspection, the tech asked me to "come over here for a minute". That's generally not a good sign.
He asked about the cold air intake, which I explained was from the factory.
The car also had an oil catch can / oil separator (JLT Mustang V3.0 Satin Oil Separator - Driver Side 3013D-C (05-10 GT)) which he said might fail the test by it being present and not from the factory. He recommended that I install the original hose for future checks. I guess he let me off with a warning?

Has anyone (especially in CA) had any issues with smog checks?

It also had the Ford Performance FR500S Axle-Back Exhaust, which didn't seem to be a problem.

Christopher

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
The catch can should actually lower emissions by removing oil from the intake stream.(But they are sticklers on OE unless you have the CARB documents to support a mod.) And, yes lots of people have issues with passing smog in California.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
The cold air intake is often a problem with smog checks here. We all make sure we have the owner's manual when we go because there is a picture of the intake on page 270. As far as the JLT oil separator, I have one as well but always change to the stock hose for smog checks. There's a guy near me that has done several Bullitts that live or used to live in the area and he's used to them. If you can find a shop like that stay with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts