Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a modded bullitt, possibly from out of state. Aside from mileage constraints (needs to be >7500 i think)are there any mechanical configurations (off road exhaust) that would be a pain in the arse, and or co$tly to address in order to get the car plated here?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
No long or mid headers.
I know Magnaflow exhaust systems are legal here as long as you still have the stock catalics in place.
You might have a problem with a CAI (I plan to put mine back to stock when it is time to smog).
If it is chipped, it could be a problem.
SCs are legal.
Anything lower than stock could be a problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doc Coffin on 2005-05-08 18:00 ]</font>

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Doc. Getting the feeling that I had better avoid some headache down the road by looking for a CA modded/smogged Bullitt.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2005-05-08 17:59, Doc Coffin wrote:
No long or mid headers.
I know Magnaflow exhaust systems are legal here as long as you still have the stock catalics in place.
You might have a problem with a CAI (I plan to put mine back to stock when it is time to smog).
If it is chipped, it could be a problem.
SCs are legal.
Anything lower than stock could be a problem.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Doc Coffin on 2005-05-08 18:00 ]</font>
</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
And, Michael...(Have Bullitt Will Travel) has BBK LT, catted mid-pipe, and a dry Nitrous ...among other things :bigguns:

It made it in last months 5.0 mag. It says he is STILL smog legal, and he's from Cali!

You just have to be careful and research your mods...it can be done!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
On 2005-05-09 14:42, Rikki Racer wrote:
Actually mid lengths are OK.

Could be but, I was told otherwise.
I am sure there are ways to get around most of the restrictions. Even with long tubes you will pass the smog test but, not the visual. California sucks in many ways.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here is the bottom line on smog in Californina. If you get a picky inspector, you had better have a C.A.R.B. number for every part on the vehicle that is not stock. Also, although the 'catted' h-pipes may pass the 'sniffer' portion of the test, they will fail the visual. The pipe is required to have the same configuration as the stock assembly (i.e. two pre-cats and two regular cats). Typically the cat-back systems are not scrutinized. If you have an aftermarket tune (or chip), you may want to return it to the factory settings if possible (my blower does not allow that but the blower has a C.A.R.B. number). You may get lucky with the person who does your test, but be prepared in case you don't! I don't mean to be a party pooper, but California is very rigid in their smog regs!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have had long tubes on my f350 since 1987 and it always has passed the smog tests everywhere I have taken it to.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Good thing our BULLITT's don't have to be smogged until 2007.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone clear up the "4 yo transfer then smog yes" requirement? i.e. It looks to me like if you bought prior to this year you're fine till '07 but if you buy one now you fall under different specs?

thanks.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm#BM2539

On 2005-05-22 23:42, bruceh wrote:
Good thing our BULLITT's don't have to be smogged until 2007.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts