Mustang Bullitt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never installed a CAI kit, though it was a planned mod for my Thunderbird once I paid it off if I had not totalled it. I do understand the idea of colder/denser air = more power, it makes sense, and I believe everyone who has said that they can feel a difference after installing a CAI kit. I currently plan to get a Densecharger for the Bullitt, but not for awhile.

But I recently read a post (corral.net, I THINK) that raised a question I always had with the T'bird, and again with the Bullitt. Since the stock airbox sucks from the fenderwell anyway, how is there any advantage to replacing the stock airbox with what is essentially just a section of pipe which also sucks from the fenderwell? He even went so far as to measure inlet air temps at different points under different conditions, and essentially found no difference between fenderwell air temp and actual inlet air temp with the STOCK setup. If I can dig up the post I'll post a link, but what do you all think of this? Honestly, I'm not that surprised when you consider the small amount of time the inlet air actually has to come in contact with the warm surface of the inlet hose. The biggest benefit that I could think of would really be that these CAI kits appear to have smoothwalled pipe, which I would think would promote smoother, less turbulent flow than the accordion hose that most cars seem to have stock. Any thoughts? I'm thinking less restrictive K&N & better flowing inlet could be what really makes the difference.

Also, regarding removal of the stock silencer, I've heard someone suggest that this may reduce high end power a tad. I'm just curious as to why this would be true, to increase my level of understanding.

Lastly, why does removing the MAF screen tend to make the car run richer? Does it somehow alter the ability of the MAF to accurately read airflow beyond what can be compensated for with data from the 02 sensors?

Thanks!

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DHG-1934 on 2001-07-26 09:51 ]</font>

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Less restriction over stock air box is the main adavantage. Not so much that your getting that much cooler air over stock.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
So my 7.00 air intake is just as good as the 150.00+ Densecharger and MAC systems?

·
Registered
452 Posts
My CAI did nothing. on my 2000Gt.. just sound nice. However, when I put the PRO M 87 on it really opened it up...... no numbers thought.... I will get numbers this time if I an ever get my Bullitt to run good stock.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answer on the CAI. Any ideas on the MAF screen or air silencer?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts