Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CHP ordered 81 Dodges. They ordered them in every color Dodge makes. The cars have a small pushbar and a small CHP star on the door. All the lights are in the cabin. I heard from some sport bike guys that they are very hard to spot. My uncle in law told me this info because I might be moving to California this fall.

·
Registered
493 Posts
The CHP bought 88 Dodge Chargers. Most came painted in various solid colors and were equipped to be used as administrative and commander vehicles. They were all ordered with the 6 cylinder motor and are not used for regular patrol duty.

In that order, 33 were painted in the standard black & white CHP scheme and are marked and equipped as normal slicktop cruisers and yeah, they got the Hemi. They are evaluation units with each station receiving one or two. You'll be lucky (or unlucky depending on what you're doing at the time) to see one of the small number of these very often in a state this big:

Now the ones you do need to be wary of are the specially marked slicktop units which are all-white with standard door markings (required on all CHP enforcement class vehicles) and often having no pushbars or large antennas to give them away. Tough to spot!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
There are a bunch of these in Texas and the "unmarked" versions are very hard to spot until you're next to them. It's almost like they have ghost decals put on. I basically give all Chargers the benefit of the doubt now.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Luckily, traffic enforcement using unmarked vehicles is not legal in CA. The white Crown Vic shown above is about as stealthy as the CHP gets but they are very good at using them and know all the tricks. There are at least a couple of members here with some first hand experience with them...stay alert and stay safe out there!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The only ticket I have gotten in the last 25 years was from a CHP that was coming from the opposite direction at me on a 2 lane highway at over 130 mph with no lights on! I was passing a truck going 50 in a 55.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I saw one of those CHP Chargers on I-80 between Sacramento and Davis, about 2 months ago. It was black & white, just like the photo in RoadDawg's posting. It was the first one I'd seen, and was therefore surprised, but I just assumed that they are "normal" now.

I live in San Ramon, and the local SR Police have a bunch of Chargers...so maybe I'm just used to it! I see Chargers as local PD cars quite often in California.

By the way, RoadDawg, it was good to meet you recently - thanks for stopping by.

·
Registered
493 Posts
2008_black_2190 said:
I saw one of those CHP Chargers on I-80 between Sacramento and Davis, about 2 months ago. It was black & white, just like the photo in RoadDawg's posting. It was the first one I'd seen, and was therefore surprised, but I just assumed that they are "normal" now.

I live in San Ramon, and the local SR Police have a bunch of Chargers...so maybe I'm just used to it! I see Chargers as local PD cars quite often in California.

By the way, RoadDawg, it was good to meet you recently - thanks for stopping by.
Good to meet you too Lee. BTW, I just saw my first CHP Charger last weekend...right down the street from your parents house!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts