Mustang Bullitt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My calipers are looking pretty rough, and I want to paint them this weekend, does anyone know where I can get a pair of the stickers to replace the factory ones?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Are they actually stickers? I don't think they are but I may be wrong. I just went out to the garage to take a look and the pony actually seems like it is set in a little.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Mine are not stickers...

Mine hard actually reverse that... There was something there, they painted/powder coated and then removed the sticker...

All the Bullitts I have seen seem to match that same design.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They most certainly are not stickers. It is the bare metal of the caliper that had been masked off with stickers while the calipers were painted.

However, the question is still relevant, because you will need stickers to act as masks when you repaint the caliper. I will be facing this same issue this spring when I redo mine. I had planned to print off ponies of the right size and use the image as a stencil to cut two copies out of frisket film. However, if stickers are available, I too would like to know where to get them.

K

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, mine are most definately stickers, although they could have been done by the previous owner. Mine are white, not bare aluminum, and I guess I will peek under one, and see if there's paint, if not, I'll leave them on, paint over them, and then peel them off.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
As an original owner, with 15K dry miles, they are not stickers, and are as mentioned above. The calipers were painted, then the sticker removed, and just an area that is recessed, and without paint.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I say that, if they aren't stickers, place blue painters tape on the caliper before painting. Then take an exacto knife and follow the indention line of the pony. Then peel away the excess, leaving the pony covered in the painters tape. After painting, peel away the tape on the pony before it has fully dried.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, I went out during lunch and looked a lot closer. The driver's side, the one I looked at before is a sticker, and I peeled back the tail, and it's bare aluminum underneath. The passenger's side, which I hadn't even looked at yet until today, is just like everyone said, bare aluminum indented, like everyone else's.

So I guess someone at the factory forgot to take off the sticker after they were painted or powdercoated on that caliper, and it made it through all these years until I noticed it. It's in rough shape too, it's stained up pretty bad and there are chips missing in certain places. I'm going to leave that one on until after I repaint them, and then take Jeff's advice on the passenger's side with the painter's tape.

·
Car Whisperer
21,384 Posts
get that one sticker off in one piece, trace it putting back in the missing chips and you will have a template.

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
Rich01Bullitt said:
OK, I went out during lunch and looked a lot closer. The driver's side, the one I looked at before is a sticker, and I peeled back the tail, and it's bare aluminum underneath. The passenger's side, which I hadn't even looked at yet until today, is just like everyone said, bare aluminum indented, like everyone else's.

So I guess someone at the factory forgot to take off the sticker after they were painted or powdercoated on that caliper, and it made it through all these years until I noticed it. It's in rough shape too, it's stained up pretty bad and there are chips missing in certain places. I'm going to leave that one on until after I repaint them, and then take Jeff's advice on the passenger's side with the painter's tape.
Not being funny but If they forgot to take the sticker off then it would be all red and you would not be able to see it.
A previous owner has done this.
A little while ago there were similar sized stickers for sale. I saw a Bullitt where the owner had put black ponies on his calipers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts